OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Are all Barska Spotters crap??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 14:31

If they fell apart because of poor quality we would not sell them.  We do not get any more returns on them than any other brand, if we start to then we will discontinue carrying them.

Not everyone can afford a high end scope.  There is a market for low end products and this is true in any industry.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 16:50
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

If they fell apart because of poor quality we would not sell them.  We do not get any more returns on them than any other brand, if we start to then we will discontinue carrying them.

Not everyone can afford a high end scope.  There is a market for low end products and this is true in any industry.

I can accept that.

I've only looked through a very few Barska products (a couple of binoculars, and a spotting scope) but what I've seen makes me think that a consumer would be better off not having optics at all, rather than wasting money on the stuff Barska produces.  In each case I couldn't get anything at all focussed.   Who knows though, maybe I just haven't seen anything but their very lowest and worst quality crap. 
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 17:21
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Bravo! When someone asks about cheap optics they deserve an answer that some of us can't provide.
I wish we had more members that used the low cost equipment to help these folks out.
That being said, since I have used BSA and own a Leapers scope, the lower cost lenses should be in fixed scopes that should concentrate on mechanical integrity. Maybe that is too much to ask of the bean counters and ad people at these companies. Huge zoom ranges and high powered magnification predominate at unusable levels because of them.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 22:46
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Bravo! When someone asks about cheap optics they deserve an answer that some of us can't provide.
I wish we had more members that used the low cost equipment to help these folks out.
  Certainly low-cost stuff can often meet the basic requirements but, its an area that is fraught with "danger" and that requires great care.  Buying something because its cheap only to find that it won't provide a clear image at any range or magnification makes that product become very expensive, very fast. 

It is true that you don't need to pay thousands of dollars for your equipment to be of reasonable quality but, there is a minimum level of investment that has to be met and/or compromises that have to be accepted in order to get something that will actually perform.

Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

...the lower cost lenses should be in fixed scopes that should concentrate on mechanical integrity.
Herein lies the crux of the problem.  You are right that low cost scopes should be fixed power to maximize their potential, but almost no one wants (and therefore almost no one  makes) fixed power scopes.  They want variable scopes with at least 60x and preferably more in a scope that is waterproof, bulletproof, capable of resolving a gnat's hair at 3 miles distance, and that costs no more than $49.95. 

Edited by lucznik - January/13/2009 at 22:47
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 23:34
I might be an odd one but if I could have the same awsome eye relief and fov that my 60mm Excursion has but was fixed at 30x , could see bullet holes at 300 yards, and cost $50, it would be everything I want.

Actually, give me a smaller fixed 30x50mm FLP Excursion and I'd be thrilled! 

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 01:06
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Herein lies the crux of the problem.  You are right that low cost scopes should be fixed power to maximize their potential, but almost no one wants (and therefore almost no one  makes) fixed power scopes.  They want variable scopes with at least 60x and preferably more in a scope that is waterproof, bulletproof, capable of resolving a gnat's hair at 3 miles distance, and that costs no more than $49.95. 

Well that may be people who don't know that they could look through the fixed power scope and see more, because it's not as crappy as the 60x variable? Don't get me wrong lucznik, I'm not disagreeing with you, and am no expert in spotting scopes, or marketing. Just trying to understand how someone can pay $50 for one, and whine when they can't see through it. Now as soon as you find one of those scopes you just described, let me know. I'll take a whole truck load of them right now.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 06:56
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Sounds pretty good to meBucky Lucznik...I might even go as high as $59.95 for all that!

Well that may be people who don't know that they could look through the fixed power scope and see more, because it's not as crappy as the 60x variable? Don't get me wrong lucznik, I'm not disagreeing with you, and am no expert in spotting scopes, or marketing. Just trying to understand how someone can pay $50 for one, and whine when they can't see through it. Now as soon as you find one of those scopes you just described, let me know. I'll take a whole truck load of them right now.

Get in line Trigger... I get 1st dibbs since I started this String!

WOW this string has gotten a mind of its own.Big Grin

Personally I think any company that pumps out low end product packaged to emulate the good stuff, hurts us all and causes tremendous confusion for us that are novices.  I also think that the "Peter Principle" is in er....full swingWink... when it comes to guns and their Optics.  The PP has helped justify the high end pricing even more than the low end stuff has.  If its low priced no-one wants to trust it, quality wise....Like wise if its expensive...it must be good.  And of course with PP in place ALL BRAGGING RIGHTS ARE RESERVED FOR THOSE WHO LAY DOWN THE BIG $$$$.

Thats one of the things that I love about this siteYippee  The gloves are off and I get honest experienced opinions instead of Marketing hipe! For the full spectrum of products

WhackoI smell something....Oh! my soap box is smokingWhacko
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

carbuyersfriend View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 09:14

Bud,

You bought some really nice gear at Xmas so why stop now. Like Chris pointed out, SWFA offers a 110% price guarantee so take him up on it !!! I just checked the Samplelist and there are some nice spotters out there for under $300. My choice was the Leupold 15-30x50 Compact set. Because..... its a great scope, sized right for range or field use and is complete with all the goodies. As your Daddy pointed out to you and you seem to agree with guns and gunning equiptment last longer than women ( you need to explain that more fully to me as I love my woman !!) so why skimp now. 

Side Note....when my spotter from SWFA showed up the handle on the case was broken. I just called Patty in Customer Service at SWFA and she sent a new one out the
same day even before she had mine back !!!.....they also paid me for the return shipping. You can buy anywhere but the proof is how you are handled when there is a problem. Good luck and great shots !!!
Have a great day ...unless you have something else planned
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 09:20

Bud......

Additional info....Remember ....if you don't treat your wife like a thoroughbred she'll turn into a Nag !!!!

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 10:47
[QUOTE=carbuyersfriend]

Bud......

Additional info....Remember ....if you don't treat your wife like a thoroughbred she'll turn into a Nag !!!!  <QUOTE

Brother did you just hit the nail right on the head.  American Princess syndrome!!!  I have come to the conclusion that most american raised women have It...Their Poopy doesn't stick and need to be constantly showered with gifts.  Also the MAINTENANCE! Manicures, pedicures, hairdoos. clothes jewelry.  Granted I SPEND money!  But 90% is on durable goods I'll have in 20 years not nails that have to be redone every 2-3 weeks.  Ultimate consumers they are with little to show for it.   WHEW!!! calm down Bud....

Sorry....

My last girlfriend was 1st generation Sicilian.  She came over to America at the age of 14. Very frugal, excellent hygiene, always nicely dressed without spending a fortune. and most important...NOT FULL OF HERSELF, you don't realize the difference until it you experience it first hand.

Sorry she moved out of state!

Man, I read this back and it sounds like I hate women.  I don't, really! I am just fed up with spoiled american ones!  You know....the centers of the universe.

DONE VENTING!Clown

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 10:59
Bud,
Buddy. Dr. Lara's on the radio for all of us. Give her a shout !!
LOL !!!!WhackoWhacko
Regards
Mark
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 11:14
GEEE!!
Just mention the name BARSKA and we end the post by calling in the female SHRINKS.
Desperate measures! 8>)
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 11:29
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

GEEE!!
Just mention the name BARSKA and we end the post by calling in the female SHRINKS.
Desperate measures! 8>)

Don't worry BirdWatcher...she stopped accepting my calls months agoLoco

--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 11:43
Us guys from Lake Erie, Pa. ARE somewhat unstable.
Must be something in the drinking water. 8>}
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 12:46
you drink Shocked????WATER????No No   Hay EEEDDDD!!  another one slipped under the fence!

I used to takle this out of Dr. Laura but had to stop after I told her I have multiple personalities.  She started billing me 3 times for each phone call.Whats Up
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 13:00
[QUOTE=budperm]
I told her I have multiple personalities.
QUOTE]

Don't WE all?!
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 13:20
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

[QUOTE=carbuyersfriend]

American Princess syndrome!!!   

Bud, what do you think of the bridal industry and about spending 2 years worth of income on weddings, and rings, and diamonds, and "because i am worth it", and being so focused on wedding dresses that they forget to look at who they are getting married to, only to realize that "that's not the horse that i wanted momma" and divorce - which is also alot about money?

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 13:28
OK GUYS....Maybe we are having to much fun here (is that possible?) and need to really focus on important life issues....like which knife is best for dressing out elk or which beverage is best in camp after a hunt or anything doing with laser rangefinders. Gotta be careful or Chris will shut us diwn.
Mark
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 13:42
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

[QUOTE=carbuyersfriend]

American Princess syndrome!!!   

Bud, what do you think of the bridal industry and about spending 2 years worth of income on weddings, and rings, and diamonds, and "because i am worth it", and being so focused on wedding dresses that they forget to look at who they are getting married to, only to realize that "that's not the horse that i wanted momma" and divorce - which is also alot about money?

I believe you are paraphrasing from Webster's 2nd definition of American Princess...Queen  Baseball Bat

NEED I SAY MORE?

--Thomas Jefferson

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 13:44
Originally posted by carbuyersfriend carbuyersfriend wrote:

OK GUYS....Maybe we are having to much fun here (is that possible?) and need to really focus on important life issues....like which knife is best for dressing out elk or which beverage is best in camp after a hunt or anything doing with laser rangefinders. Gotta be careful or Chris will shut us diwn.
Mark

Me??? never!!!  Ya'll crack me up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic