OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mountain LSS vs 700 CDL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 20:32

Edited by Tip69 - January/26/2009 at 20:43
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 20:35
Now I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can put a few down the tube!  Not sure what I'll do about a recoil pad yet.  It appears they clued the factory pad on, so I might have to take to smith to get a R3 installed.  Probably have him do the trigger while he has it.  Hopefully it shoots good enough nothing else will have to be done!
take em!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 20:35
VERY nice.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 20:37
Sweet rig Tip
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 20:42
thought I would try and make it a little smaller.

take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 20:44
take em!
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 21:28
I've posted this picture before but you can see the pad is different.  I bought this 260 in 2007 if I remember correctly and it was a 2006 model, the last year of the 260 Mtn. rifle AFAIK.  It came with the Remington R3 recoil pad (Limbsaver - screwed on) and X-Mark Pro Trigger (a pleasant surprise) that adjusted to a crisp 2 3/4 pounds.  It does not have the "J' Lock.  It's a beautiful rifle and with a Leupold 3.5-10x50 mounted it would group 1.5"-2" @100 yards (I'm an average shot).  The barrel heats really fast and accuracy suffers.  I think it would make a great stalking rifle for small to medium game although I've never hunted with it.

I forgot to say this stock has more of a comb drop than yours Tip69.  The drop at the comb is larger than the drop at the heel.  It is not a straight stock.  I was disappointed with it at first but got used to it.  For sure the recoil pad is more effective than the harder pad I think is on yours.

Edited to add information

Edited by timber - January/26/2009 at 22:06
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 18:33
Starting to get a little bit of a rapport with the smith!  Went in today to pick-up my son's Savage 22-250  the bolt was hard to close and the magazine lips needed adjusted.   Looks like he did a good job and only charged $30.00.  Also asked him if he could take a look at my .260 and see what it would take to get the recoil pad off.  He took it in back and came back about 5 mins later and said it really wasn't clued, just stuck to the finish!  Didn't charge me a thing!!!  So I had him test the trigger weight and it was like 7 lbs., so I left it with him to adjust down to  3.5 lbs.  He said it didn't really have any creep, but he would fix if it did after working on it.  So now I have the old pad and can take it to a store and try to figure out which new recoil pad will fit it!   I'm getting closer.

Edited by Tip69 - January/28/2009 at 18:33
take em!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 19:12
Nice rifles, guys. That Kahles really compliments that Remmy.

Edited by tahqua - January/28/2009 at 19:25
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 19:55
I'd think about a Kick-Ezz pad.  Your smith should be able to do it and it finishes really nicely.  I've had Pachmayr and Limbsavers installed and the Kick-Ezz finished the best.  Check out my Sako with the Kick-Ezz:

FYI, if you're interested I was told the X-Mark Pro will work on 700's with the original trigger.  I've posted these pictures before.  The original trigger has ribs, the X-Mark Pro is smooth.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 21:23
timber, which Kick Ezz pad is that and is it as "squishy" as the limbsaver/R3?  The smith did mention that the limbsavers were really hard to work with.  They don't grind well.  But I really like the way they reduce felt recoil! 

As far as the trigger goes, I like the original 700 trigger just fine!
take em!
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 00:44
That's the "All Purpose" Grind-to-Fit Pad 15/16 thick.  The model is 302-8-M and the measurements are 1-7/8x5-1/4x15/16".  They come in 8 sizes.  Look at them on the kickeezproducts website.  It is screwed on with two screws.

It is more "squishy" than the Limbsaver R3 or the Pachmayr Decelarator.  We first tried a Limbsaver but it did not finish well from grinding.  The Pachmayr does finish/grind perhaps the easiet of the three and looks great but I wanted something with more recoil absorption because of the 'stingy' buttstock dimensions of the Sako 85.  It kicks some in 30/06.

My smith told me the only problem with the Kick-Ezz is some remark that they are a little sticky when new.  I did not notice that at all.  He also said they are a little hard to grind in that you can over heat them so you have to go slow.  Unlike the Limbsaver(?) and Pachmayr the material is sorbothane instead of rubber.  When done properly they finish out beautifully but it's probably the least durable of the three.

I've owned all three and would say that the Pachmayr has the most classic look and is the most durable but the Kick-Ezz has the best recoil absorption.  My R3 on my 700 Mtn 260 looks fine from the factory and works well in that application but I wouldn't want to try another grind-to-fit Limbsaver.

One more thing.  You can probably tell in the picture that the edges have a heavy radius.  It comes with a small radius but I wanted to be able to mount the rifle quickly and have less possibility of the pad hanging up on a jacket or whatever.  BTW, I can shoot this 30/06 in a t-shirt.  It's that effective.

Edited by timber - January/29/2009 at 00:51
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 06:45
thank you Sir!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 19:59
I picked one up today.  Will have the smith grind er down to size.
take em!
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 22:39
Good.  I think you'll like it.  My 260 certainly isn't hard recoiling (with the Factory Limbsaver R3) but it does recoil.  If the pad you have now is hard like I think it is this will be a huge improvement. 

What thickness did you buy?  I was thinking you might get by with the 3/4" thick model so the LOP wouldn't increase too much.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 06:22
I got the same model you did (thanks for the model #) and it is pretty much the same thickness as the factory pad.  I thought about getting the ticker pad, but it didn't seem any more soft or squishy.
take em!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 13:52

Stare
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic