OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How much magnification?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waskawood1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much magnification?
    Posted: January/12/2009 at 10:04

After a 25 year leave from shooting I have once again have the urge to start shooting and reloading again. I am just finishing up a 6BR that I will use for shooting prairie dogs and paper out to 600 yards. If my old body and eyes can handle that I would like to try further some day. I will not be competing on paper just having fun with load development etc. My question is, how much magnification do I need for a scope at this distance? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Waska
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 10:18
CHeck out the bushell 6500 2.5-16x models.  They should do just what you want with out breaking the bank.  http://www.swfa.com/c-2172-bushnell-elite-6500-rifle-scopes.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
284winguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 284winguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 14:19
  Here's what I have used for dogging in the past, a 4.5-14 AO Vari-x-III, a Burris Signature Select 4.5-16 AO BP reticle, & now have added a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20. Last June we did fine with the 4.5-14 & the Burris but we aslo had a good spot with most shots in the 75-250yrd range. Yes I could see them further but with barrel cooling & all I had enough closer action. I think quality of glass is important but don't feel the need to go over 20x. I also found out that I am quite happy with a simple x-hair over some of the newer reticles. I know if one practiced with the different hash marks at various ranges they could be a benifit. I just found myself holding to top, side, or a combo, of the prairie dog as needed. 

I hope to be there again next summer.
kmad61 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmad61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 18:25
The 4.5x14x40 Varix 3 would work for you and they are currently on sale,
Federal Firearms Dealer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic