OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Handgun Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver 2x28 or Burris 2x20?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bglimpse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver 2x28 or Burris 2x20?
    Posted: January/12/2009 at 09:04
I'm debating between these two scopes.  Will be used on a .44mag Super Blackhawk Hunter.  Will be used for range duty as well as hunting.  Other suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Weaver 2x28 $139

Burris 2x20 $189
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 15:05
You'll be a lot happier hunting with a 28mm objective, but I'm not sure how the Weaver will hold up under .44 Mag recoil.  The Burris 1.5-4X26 is a great choice for a little more money.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 18:56
Of the two listed I would get the Burris. Good glass and proven under heavy recoil.
Mr Yates has a point with a larger objective lens and Burris handgun scopes are winners. They are better for hunting and low light conditions. A scope like the Leupold 4x28 will give better performance in marginal light while in the woods if you want a fixed power. http://www.swfa.com/pc-3630-193-leupold-4x28-fx-ii-handgun-scope.aspx

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 20:06
Mr. Tahqua gives good advice, too   Smile   I bought a Weaver pistol scope and sent it back without even mounting it.  It probably would have been fine, but it just didn't "feel" like it would hold up.  .44 Mag is pretty tough on a scope.
280shooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 280shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 21:48
you can take this for what its worth, back in 1983, I bought 2 burris LER scopes.
one in 2x  and the other 3x, I still have them today,I moved them 2 scopes from pistol to pistol then back again,the 2 power was on a ruger 44 mag, same as the 3 power.from 22 pistols.the 2 power now sits atop my ruger single 6, and the 3 power sits on my 30 herrett,
I took the 30 herrett out to the range last month,just as clear as it was the day i bought it,I was shooting plates at 200 yards,its a great company, not a single problem,I dont know how they are today, but then they  were great scopes.and they dont even list the 3 powers anymore.
bushnell i know wont hold up.I had friends use them on 22s and they broke.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 05:58
My Burris scopes have held up perfectly under several thousand rounds of .454 and .44 Mag.  IF they last 25 years like 280's have, that would be amazing.  The only Burris I didn't like was the 2X20.  As I've said before, it's not good in low light.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic