OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Millet Gold Buck scopes. Worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvinbeaverdip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Millet Gold Buck scopes. Worth it?
    Posted: January/11/2009 at 15:28
Hey- I'm planning to replace the scope on my .243 which I'll use mostly for benchrest but also the occasional critter shooting. I have a browning 5-15x on my .17hmr, and I like how well I can see the holes at 100, and almost at 200. That's why I've been looking at something higher power for the .243, since I'll mostly shoot that at 200+. I was considering the Millet Gold Buck 6-25x56 because it seems like they've come down in price lately, and having the larger FOV at higher magnification sounds helpful. But this forum seems to have a lot of guys suggesting 10x fixed power scopes for those kinds of distances. I'd rather not have to use a spotting scope to see my target, but is the Millet worth it? Have they straightened out the issues they seemed to be having late last year? Price is a concern, so suggesting something like a kahles isn't helpful, thanks.
marvinbeaverdip View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvinbeaverdip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 22:25
nothin? seriously?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 23:23
Higher power will not substitute good glass. With good glass you should be able to see 200 yds with 10 power. What kind of a budget are you working with?
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvinbeaverdip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 12:01
I guess my budget is "cheap" since I really don't have much money to play with. I think the most I'd ever spend at this stage in my life is $300. I paid about $200 on closeout for my browning which is essentially a bushnell 3200 (and would have cost a LOT more as a bushnell) and I really like the glass, so I'm opting for something "comparable".  For those that are using a good 10x scope, how much of the target are you seeing? Am I going to be able to pick out a dime size dot on the target, or just see the target in general? with my 15x at 100 yards I can see my heartbeat bumping the crosshairs up and down, with my dad's leupold 3-9x vx-iii, I can basically see the target at 100, not nearly the same detail.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 04:58
Properly slinged, you should be able to see your heart beat with steel sights.  I can easily see (and hit) dimes at 100 yards with my 10X SS. I have owned the Millet scope your talking about and was not impressed with it. Save your money up for better glass, you'll be glad you did.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marvinbeaverdip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 19:29
probably true. I wish I could find more opinions though. Most every search on the subject comes back with something you wrote (not that your opinion isn't valid, just that it's the only one I can find). I wish I could just find another browning, I'd put that on in a heartbeat.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 04:50
I am glad to see that your looking for more than one "Opinion" you know what they say about them, everybody has one and they all stink!!!  LOL

Seriously, save your money and your eyes, buy better glass the first time around you'll be glad you did.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 22:15
I USED to have 2 Millet scopes, before I knew what good glass was ( not that I'm an expert).Lost money when I sold them.The one you're asking about is big, heavy, long, not clear when dialed up, and flares badly when looking toward sunlight.Save your money, you'll be happier with a Nikon buckmasters or Bushnell 3200.Wink
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
sorry, couldn't hear your shot
HRstretch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HRstretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2009 at 21:06
You might want to look at the vortex line of sopes for an entry level scope the Crossfire will get you started for a lot less than $300.  Just got a Crossfire in 6X24X50 and so far so good plan on putting it through its paces March 20 on a pig hunt.
Warhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 23:13
I've had a couple of these Millett scopes ... I won't have another one.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic