OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Range Report Information

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Range Report Information
    Posted: January/11/2009 at 09:28
OK, so how many of you actually keep detailed information on your weapon/s???  
Do you keep a data book with information on all rounds fired?  
Do you know how many rounds have been fired through each of your weapons? (Do you have any idea?)  IF you keep track, what do you use?  IF you don't keep track, what is your reasoning?  
Do you know what the life expectancy of your barrel, given a certain type of ammunition, is?  Do you care?  
Do you believe in "barrel break-in"?  If you do/don't, WHY?
When you zero your rifle, what range, why?  What is your "average" shooting range?  What is your longest expected shot (hunting and/or targets).  
How often do you shoot and how many rounds at each session?
How many different types of rifles do you shoot, how regularly.  

This is a test and you have 52 minutes,  scores will be reduced for extended timeframes. 

NO looking on others' papers... that means NO cheating.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 10:18
I keep a  8.5 x 11 three ring binder. I note what brand ,lot number and bullet type/weight  of ammo each firearm is sighted in for , group size , and POI for 100 yds, 200 yds, and sometimes 300 yd.s ( only two lanes with 300yd.s at local range or inappropriate to caliber ) . I also note the weather conditions when the gun was sighted in . I really don't track round count ( maybe I should ) , In this binder I have a " needs cleaning " page...projects page and their status--generally never completely done...A "wish list " page ....and a "gotta get " page to remind me if I ran out of something or to get an item "I just can't live wthout" ....An "available ammo " page by caliber .....and a listing of spare scopes and relevant accessories.  I also have 2 range boxes --one is ammo- magazines- earplugs and eye wear.The other is cleaning and maintenance items ( I use a big tackle box w/drawers)

For break-in ..I thoroughly clean and hand lap before headed to shoot a  rifle for first time . Fire 2 or 3 ..bore foam it up and clean- do this about 5 times.. then 10 rounds - clean again ,, and now fire for grouping. Why -- seems to work, and why stop now ?
I generally get to the range 2-3 times a month, but  not so lately. Most of 2007 I was stuck in a wheelchair or using a walker/cane Crutch( although I did go a couple of times and hobbled downrange to check targets) after getting clobbered by a F-250 and Cargo Van, and last year I had 2 add'l surgeries on my legs. I hope to rectify that this year. A typical range day for load verification means grabbing 2 or 3 rifles and heading out around 9am. I tend to spend a min 3 hours there--shooting and bs'ing , and launch 20-30 rounds downrange per rifle depending on the purpose for the day. If it is a new scope or rifle -- more rounds...If just to verify all is well before hunting season- less ..

Calibers - I tend to take any rifles I have duplicate calibers on the same day  . Three 30/30's , three 300 wby's, two 45/70's, three 308's, three 223's etc....

For handguns I do a similar regime, but at 25yds out to 100 yds, depending on cailber and intent.

GO RAVENS !!!!!

Edited by martin3175 - January/11/2009 at 11:54
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 11:06
I am not going to tell you my secrets on all the stuff I do at the range that was passed on from?????? I don't know who.... but in reality thats pretty much the same as I do.  maybe not so religiously but when I have the extra time.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 12:30
Wow, you guys are serious. I'm just starting to get this serious now. I didn't get so in to the whole break in thing. I shot one, pulled a bore snake through about 10 times or so, and cleaned once in the middle. I know how many rounds have been through this rifle, because it was bought new, and I have all the empties. I will need a log when I start handloading. As far as range sessions, I zero for 200, and shoot from 200 out to 7-800, though it depends on how much time I have. I can shoot from 10 to 40 rounds, and lord only knows how many rimfire rounds in a session. This happens about 3 to 4 times a week from about April to November.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 12:52
#1=detailed info kinda/depends?...on what the ammo is for /hunt /plink/ target
#2=info rnds fired=yes /for records
#3=track of #s yes again records..to check for changes.
#4bbl life=dont care..will never shoot out a bbl?
#5break in=yes...but not on all bbls I believe a good bbl is good to go?...IMO
#6range=100....200....longest huntig...400maybe 500 if I cant get closer dependent on game.
how often=once a month...how much ammo 100 150 rnds  except 22s way more
#7......# of guns taken to range 3 to 5 depending?

Edited by rifle looney - January/11/2009 at 13:48
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 13:14
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

#1=detailed info kinda/depends?...on what the ammo is for /hunt /plink/ target
#2=info rnds fired=yes /for records
#3=track of #s yes again records..to check for changes.
#4bbl life=dont care..will never shoot out a bbl?
#5break in=yes...but not on all bbls I believe a good bbl is good to go?...IMO
#6range=100....2000....longest huntig...400maybe 500 if I cant get closer dependent on game.
how often=once a month...how much ammo 100 150 rnds  except 22s way more
#7......# of guns taken to range 3 to 5 depending?

2000 yard range!!?? I need to move. Sounds like fun.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 13:50
Trigger the 2000 was a typo?....=200..
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 14:39
Well I feel lazy after reading all the stuff some people do. I do want to start keeping a log while at the range it will help me remember how I was shooting on a given day. I usually go to the range once a month and bring 2 to 3 rifles and a pistol usually. I shoot probably 100 to 150 rounds and a lot more with the 22. The range I go to only goes out to 200 yards so I am kind of limited on long range shooting. I zerord my rifles about 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yds. and right on at 200 yds. I just started hunting but from a certain "mentor" I heard that the shots we could take on a deer are anywhere from 100 yds. to 400 yds. 
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 18:59
OK, one question I forgot to ask... HOW OFTEN DO YOU ACTUALLY PRACTICE AT THE LONGEST RANGE YOU THINK YOU MAY SHOOT???  (this is a bonus question and scores 25 extra points, or can give you a ZERO if answered incorrectly).  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 19:03
unfortunately, I can not practice this often for I do not have a range that exceeds 200yrds..so 0 for me I guess? 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 19:10
the location below provides the type of information that I keep on all my rifles for every shooting session.  It is very valuable if you shoot more than just a little.  

http://www.cybersniper.com/bookus.htm

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 19:11

unfortunately, I can not practice this often for I do not have a range that exceeds 200yrds..so 0 for me I guess? 

Do you, then, believe it is ethical to shoot at live game at a distance at which you have never practiced, have no experience??

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 19:18
NO! not at all this year I passed up and did not let Monster shoot at a 150/160 class mule deer. range was 400-450 and kinda foggy,wasn't a good deal for us so we just admired.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 19:33
I keep my records on an XL spreadsheet, one sheet for each rifle, at last count for 42 rifles.  On each page there is the following info for that particular rifle:

mag length
new case shoulder measurement
fired case shoulder measurement taken after each firing until it has fully expanded to the chamber dimensions
distance to lands for each bullet loaded
chamber neck outside diameter

For each load tried for that rifle I keep track of

type of bullet
weight of bullet
ballistic coefficient of bullet
overall length
comparator measurement
type of powder
weight of powder
group size of that load
velocity of that load

For each rifle I record the number of shots fired since last cleaning and the date of last cleaning.

I can't say I've shot out any barrels yet.  It seems that after I shoot one for 800 rounds or so I have the load and I am interested in some new beauty that I want to play with for awhile and I either trade it off or it sits in the safe except for rare occasions.

I always do break in a barrel.  Can't hurt.

Typically I take 3 or 4 rifles to the range so I can shoot one and set aside to cool when shooting the others.  I zero at the 200 yard and 300 yard ranges and will shoot to 400 on occasion.  Normally at least 10 but no more than 25 shots with each rifle.

What was the other question?  Wait a minute.......I can create another spreadsheet to keep track of all these questions!!  Excellent 

Edited by sakomato - January/11/2009 at 19:35
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 21:02
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Do you, then, believe it is ethical to shoot at live game at a distance at which you have never practiced, have no experience??

Same response as Looney I had a shot at 400 yds but passed it up because we just did not feel comfortable taking the shot........I wish I had a range that was that long so I can practice up for the shots in the 400 yd range.....
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 21:50

OK, one question I forgot to ask... HOW OFTEN DO YOU ACTUALLY PRACTICE AT THE LONGEST RANGE YOU THINK YOU MAY SHOOT???  (this is a bonus question and scores 25 extra points, or can give you a ZERO if answered incorrectly).  

Well, I thought I could say everytime I go out, but this year I had to extend my range by 100 yards. I usually shoot any ranges that I'll be hunting about once to twice a week though. I check my zero at 100 or 200 and start the longer stuff from there. This way I have time to work on calling wind, and practice the harder shots that I can't make every shot.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 22:11
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

I keep my records on an XL spreadsheet, one sheet for each rifle, at last count for 42 rifles.  On each page there is the following info for that particular rifle:

mag length
new case shoulder measurement
fired case shoulder measurement taken after each firing until it has fully expanded to the chamber dimensions
distance to lands for each bullet loaded
chamber neck outside diameter

For each load tried for that rifle I keep track of

type of bullet
weight of bullet
ballistic coefficient of bullet
overall length
comparator measurement
type of powder
weight of powder
group size of that load
velocity of that load

For each rifle I record the number of shots fired since last cleaning and the date of last cleaning.

I can't say I've shot out any barrels yet.  It seems that after I shoot one for 800 rounds or so I have the load and I am interested in some new beauty that I want to play with for awhile and I either trade it off or it sits in the safe except for rare occasions.

I always do break in a barrel.  Can't hurt.

Typically I take 3 or 4 rifles to the range so I can shoot one and set aside to cool when shooting the others.  I zero at the 200 yard and 300 yard ranges and will shoot to 400 on occasion.  Normally at least 10 but no more than 25 shots with each rifle.

What was the other question?  Wait a minute.......I can create another spreadsheet to keep track of all these questions!!  Excellent 
THat's a LOT of data, Sako.      With 42 rifles, I don't see how you could ever shoot out a barrel anyway.  I hope you and Koshkin never go to war...  Personally, I couldn't afford the ammo for all that, much less optics.  
A spreadsheet would be welcome...

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 16:05

Do you know how many rounds have been fired through each of your weapons? (Do you have any idea?)  IF you keep track, what do you use?  IF you don't keep track, what is your reasoning?  
Do you know what the life expectancy of your barrel, given a certain type of ammunition, is?  Do you care?  
When you zero your rifle, what range, why?  What is your "average" shooting range?  What is your longest expected shot (hunting and/or targets).  

This is a test and you have 52 minutes,  scores will be reduced for extended timeframes. 

Ok, I'll play.
1. Only while working up loads and/or determining data for a load. I only keep detailed notes on 2 rifles.
2. Not exactly, but I do have an idea by the number of empty cases I have. Why keep track on a rifle that is rarely used (shooting collectable shooters) with a low volume of rounds. Unable to keep track of rounds in rifles used for training (did I shoot 22 or 28 rds in that last drill? Oh crap I gotta load up for the next drill now). When the accuracy drops below my standard I replace or repair, and group size means more than round count.
3. Yes, and depends.
4. No. Many barrel makers say there is no reason to breakin a barrel other than to wear it out so they can sell more barrels
5. Depends. Scoped rifles 100yds for a reference to work from. Patrol rifles 200yds. Longest expected shot is 600yds (CMP)
6. At least once a week, 50 to 120 rds.
7. 3-5, once a week, depends on time of year.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 19:33
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Ok, I'll play.
1. Only while working up loads and/or determining data for a load. I only keep detailed notes on 2 rifles.
2. Not exactly, but I do have an idea by the number of empty cases I have. Why keep track on a rifle that is rarely used (shooting collectable shooters) with a low volume of rounds. Unable to keep track of rounds in rifles used for training (did I shoot 22 or 28 rds in that last drill? Oh crap I gotta load up for the next drill now). When the accuracy drops below my standard I replace or repair, and group size means more than round count.
3. Yes, and depends.
4. No. Many barrel makers say there is no reason to breakin a barrel other than to wear it out so they can sell more barrels
5. Depends. Scoped rifles 100yds for a reference to work from. Patrol rifles 200yds. Longest expected shot is 600yds (CMP)
6. At least once a week, 50 to 120 rds.
7. 3-5, once a week, depends on time of year.
followup on 5.  I agree.  I do have a breakin procedure, but it takes place in the process of first mounting a scope.  I DO clean after every round for the first 10 rounds, but patches, no brushes, and with a teflon coated rod.  After that, I clean pretty much after every shooting session.  If Gale McMillan didn't believe in the "break-in" process, who am I to argue??

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 07:52
With any rifle I have new or used.I first hand lap the barrel before any shot thru it and clean after the first 20 rounds. depending on how the inside of the barrel looks depends on if it gets laped again or not. I normaly clean after each shooting sestion or at the end of the hunting season.some rifles I know how many rounds have went thru it and some I have no idea. I do have and keep all the load data for each rifle so if it changes I'll know.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic