OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SHOT Show 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHOT Show 2009
    Posted: January/11/2009 at 00:40
SHOT show is next week.  I looked through the list of exhibitors in an attempt to tabulate the companies that I want to visit. It turned out that I want to visit most of them and there is no time for that.  Then I made a list of companies that have something to do with optics.  I will visit most of these although probably not all.  Realistically, I will try to allocate one day to non-optics companies and the rest of fthe time to optics-related stuff.  We'll see how it goes.  Here are the companies I found that make scopes and/or binoculars (with booth numbers):

Elcan 9709 1104
BSA 1422
Barska 2385
Zeiss 7689 1960
Carson 1401
Chongqing 176
Docter 1952
Hawke 2501
Hunter Optics 2316
Japan Optics 3079
Kowa 2279
Kruger 4684
Kunming 584
L3 - Eotech 10017
Landmark/Yukon 3083 22172
Leatherwood 306
Leica  961
Legacy 4943
Nightforce 9381
Meopta 4661
Nantong 481
Newcon 7789
Nitrex 3139
Optisan 3192
Optolyth 5943
Shirstone 253
Swarovski 2461
USO 9511
IOR Valdada 22214
Vector 21042
Vixen 1189
Vortex 1689 1688
Weaver 3139
Rex Optics 129
Sightron  2783
Bushnell 2861 8077
Aimpoint 9369 661
Burris 2739
Leupold 3361 8681
Nikon  5261
Pentax 5061
Premier 22065
S&B 6043
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 06:41
Eagle Eye Optics??  Big Grin      

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 07:45
No Fujion or Litton?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 07:58
Sounds like quite an event Koshkin, I'm jealous. I hope you have a great time!!!! Thunbs Up  Please keep us posted. Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 09:25
Be sure and pass on any interesting intel you gather. Thunbs Up
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 09:49
koskin,  im really interested in those shirstone scopes, if possible check them out and let us know what they compare to and so forth.Smile
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 10:21
I am envious .....Sad..

have a great time !
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 10:22
FIrst, as a general disclaimer, it is impossible to tell whether a scope is any good by looking at it at the SHOT Show.  I can only get a very genral idea of the controls and finish quality.

So far I added Fujinon.

As for Eagle Eye optics, cheaptrick, when I did not find them on the list, I decided to call them and see if they might be around.  It turns out that they will skip the show, since they are concerned that their scope might all fall apart by the time they get there.  FLorida is just too far.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 10:25
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

As for Eagle Eye optics, cheaptrick, when I did not find them on the list, I decided to call them and see if they might be around.  It turns out that they will skip the show, since they are concerned that their scope might all fall apart by the time they get there.  FLorida is just too far.

ILya

Evil Laugh out Load

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 14:00
Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 14:01
I'm jealous!  I wanna go too.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 14:04
Hey, Koshkin.  First off, thanks for taking requests!

I'd really like to get your take on the Leatherwood Uni-Dial scopes.  I read about them on their website and they brag on clarity and durability.  Then, I go to SWFA and see that they are relatively inexpensive scopes produced in China. 
Is this Uni-Dial a good piece? 

Thanks,
Huff
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 15:17
I am not a big fan of Leatherwood scopes (although it has been a couple of years since I last played with them), so I was not going to spend much time in their booth.  I will stop by to see if they have something I have not run into before.  Generally, I do not like scopes with external adjustments that are exposed to the elements, so the Camputer scopes that I looked at did not seem interesting. 

As for Uni-dial, I do not think I ever played with that one, but I like Kahles' Multizero which sounds like a very similar thing.  I'll go and see if Leatherwood's execution of this concept is substantially different.

ILya
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 19:01
Surprised that Kahles isn't going to be represented. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 19:11
Originally posted by brodeur272 brodeur272 wrote:

Surprised that Kahles isn't going to be represented. 

I e-mailed Kahles and asked why.  They say they are reorganizing their North American distribution arrangement.

We'll see.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 19:32

I am not a big fan of Leatherwood scopes (although it has been a couple of years since I last played with them), so I was not going to spend much time in their booth.  I will stop by to see if they have something I have not run into before.  Generally, I do not like scopes with external adjustments that are exposed to the elements, so the Camputer scopes that I looked at did not seem interesting. 

As for Uni-dial, I do not think I ever played with that one, but I like Kahles' Multizero which sounds like a very similar thing.  I'll go and see if Leatherwood's execution of this concept is substantially different.

ILya
I have not used the unidial.  

It is my firm belief that Kahles copied the Leatherwood multizero function.  ILya, you might discuss this with Corbett Leatherwood at the SHOT show.

The camputer is an excellent method for getting on target at unknown range VERY quickly.  IF one knows the game one is hunting, and therefore its size, by "dialing" the range dial, which then changes the rail elevation, and "framing" the known target size, one merely places the crosshairs on the desired POI and fires.  It is without a doubt the fastest, for unknown ranges, targeting system available in an optic.  
Current Leatherwood scope glass is highly improved over the earlier Sporter models.  There have been quality problems, but a major revamping of the quality control system has been executed, and customer service is excellent.  IF you have a problem, they will make it right.  
Some of the "high end" scope makers purchase Chinese glass and put their name on it.  Some of the Chinese glass is as good as there is.  However, their quality control is not very good and is inconsistent.  
My point is, do not discount them just on hearsay and, as ILya said, a scope cannot be evaluated by "looking through it" in a building.  I believe Leatherwood has a money back policy if you don't like the scope.  The camputer scopes only really look good on tactical type rifles, so if you are looking for a "pure hunter" it is probably not the right choice.  The unidials are traditional looking scopes, but I have only a one time experience with one.  For that instance, it was fine, but I cannot really comment on real usage.  The guy who had it I met at the range and I fired a few rounds with it through his rifle.  Worked well.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 19:41
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

ILya

It is my firm belief that Kahles copied the Leatherwood multizero function.  ILya, you might discuss this with Corbett Leatherwood at the SHOT show.

The camputer is an excellent method for getting on target at unknown range VERY quickly.  IF one knows the game one is hunting, and therefore its size, by "dialing" the range dial, which then changes the rail elevation, and "framing" the known target size, one merely places the crosshairs on the desired POI and fires.  It is without a doubt the fastest, for unknown ranges, targeting system available in an optic.  
Current Leatherwood scope glass is highly improved over the earlier Sporter models.  There have been quality problems, but a major revamping of the quality control system has been executed, and customer service is excellent.  IF you have a problem, they will make it right.  
Some of the "high end" scope makers purchase Chinese glass and put their name on it.  Some of the Chinese glass is as good as there is.  However, their quality control is not very good and is inconsistent.  
My point is, do not discount them just on hearsay and, as ILya said, a scope cannot be evaluated by "looking through it" in a building.  I believe Leatherwood has a money back policy if you don't like the scope.  The camputer scopes only really look good on tactical type rifles, so if you are looking for a "pure hunter" it is probably not the right choice.  The unidials are traditional looking scopes, but I have only a one time experience with one.  For that instance, it was fine, but I cannot really comment on real usage.  The guy who had it I met at the range and I fired a few rounds with it through his rifle.  Worked well.  

If you are saying they have been improved, I will give them another look, although probably not the Camputer.  As I said, I have some ideological problems with external adjustments like that.  Perhaps, I'll look at the Unidial 3-12x50 or 4-16x50 could be interesting.  I'll see what the look like at the SHOT Show and I'll try to get my hands on one afterwards.

Presumably, Corbett Leatherwood is the guy who owns/runs the company? Do you know him well?

ILya
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 19:52

ILya

Thanks much! Yippee
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 20:57

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

ILya

If you are saying they have been improved, I will give them another look, although probably not the Camputer.  As I said, I have some ideological problems with external adjustments like that.  Perhaps, I'll look at the Unidial 3-12x50 or 4-16x50 could be interesting.  I'll see what the look like at the SHOT Show and I'll try to get my hands on one afterwards.

Presumably, Corbett Leatherwood is the guy who owns/runs the company? Do you know him well?

ILya
PM to you.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 06:51
Samantha Virk would be something you could check out for me ILya.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic