OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS rings and base for Savage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dog Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS rings and base for Savage
    Posted: January/09/2009 at 20:44
OK,  based on advice I got here (and cross-checked elsewhere...you guys are pretty stand-up) I'm going for the SS 10x42. (Is there a reason why the 16x42 seems to be so much less popular?)

This is going on a Savage 110 .308 LH

What's a good base/ring combo for this set up? And how low is too low for the rings?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 21:34
The reason that the 16 is less popular is that as you gain power you loose exit eye pupil size and the scope looks darker in low light.  With a variable it is not as much of an issue to have a 16 or 20 + on the top end so long as you can dial it down in low light - with a fixed power you got what you got and 10 X is about all you can stand in low light 6x would be much better in low light.

You have some options if you want true tactical rings and base Badger Ordnance it the best.   For a lot less money you can have Warne rings which are fairly reliable or you can use Burris Signature Rings with the plastic inserts  which keep the scope from being scratched up the way most rings do.
410547 Burris Double Dovetail 2 Piece Reversable Base                                                                          Burris Double Dovetail 2 Piece Reversable Base
  • Savage 110FP Round Rear Receiver bridge with a new adjustable trigger system (Long Action)
  • Savage 112 Round Rear Receiver bridge with a new adjustable trigger system (Long Action)
  • Savage 10FP Round Rear Receiver bridge with a new adjustable trigger system (Short Action)
  • Savage 12 Round Rear Receiver bridge with a new adjustable trigger system (Short Action)
  • Matte
SWFA: $17.95
More Info... Buy Now
420583 Burris Signature Double Dovetail 30mm Rings                                                                             Burris Signature Double Dovetail 30mm Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium
SWFA: $49.95
More Info... Buy Now
Stay with Medium Rings, There are some package deals with the SS that have nice add on things like the mildot master.
SS10X42A Advanced SWFA SS 10x42 Kit                                                                                              Advanced SWFA SS 10x42 Kit
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • Butler Creek Flip Ups
  • Super Sniper SunShade
  • Mil-Dot Master
  • Kill-Flash (Anti-Reflection Device)
SWFA: $399.95
More Info... Buy Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/09/2009 at 21:43

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 07:02
I prefer a one piece rail.

Not sure if your Savage is Accu-Trigger unit or not,
(that matters), but I think Warner rails work on both RH or LH rifles.

Burris low rings. 

Two piece mounts, like Ufrnd mentioned, are good too and allow better access to the loading/ejection port. I still like the rail though.
Dog Man View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dog Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 17:14
No, my Savage is NOT the Accu-trigger. (DRAT!) They came out with that shortly after I bought my rifle, but my rifle's still practically new--it's been in storage for years, unfired.

Right now it has a Tasco World Class scope on it, and there's no question that I can do much, much better, hence the upgrade to the SS scope. But rings and such are still confusing. Why would I not want to keep the scope as low as possible to the rifle?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 17:18
Originally posted by Dog Man Dog Man wrote:

But rings and such are still confusing. Why would I not want to keep the scope as low as possible to the rifle?

Your exactly right, you would typically want your scope as low as possible, without touching the rifle barrel. But, I'm not sure I'm following your question the way you submitted it.  

Warne rail and Burris LOW rings will put your scope where you want it to be.  

Edited by cheaptrick - January/10/2009 at 17:23
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic