OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Guys, I need your help on this one...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guys, I need your help on this one...
    Posted: January/09/2009 at 14:42
We are trying to get a movement started here......can you guys help us out?  I mean come on, seriously now.......

PETA's campaign to rename fish 'sea kittens'

By Cathy Alexander | January 09, 2009

A CAMPAIGN to rename fish as "sea kittens" in order to improve their image has been ridiculed by the Federal Opposition.

Outspoken animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is using the "sea kitten" name as part of its push to restrict fishing.

"Nobody would hurt a sea kitten!" the group says on its website.

"People don't seem to like fish.

"We're going to start by retiring the old name for good.

"When your name can also be used as a verb that means driving a hook through your head, it's time for a serious image makeover."

The website features images of fish with cats' whiskers and ears.

PETA is using the campaign to entice people to sign a petition calling on the US Fish and Wildlife Service to stop promoting "the hunting of sea kittens (otherwise known as fishing)".

Opposition fisheries spokesman John Cobb was not impressed with the campaign, nor with PETA.

PETA has offended some in Australia with is high-profile campaign against mulesing, the practice of cutting away the skin from a sheep's rear to prevent flystrike.

Mr Cobb said the group had little credibility.

"It is hard to take an organisation which wants to change the name of fish seriously," he said.

Many people might laugh at the sea kitten campaign, Mr Cobb said, but PETA's agenda was actually more sinister: destroying the meat and fish industries.

PETA has convinced a number of large companies to boycott Australian wool which comes from mulesed flocks.   The group argues mulesing is cruel and there are better ways to prevent flystrike.
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 15:16
After reading that, I have a "hankerin" for a nice big Trout, grilled on the BBQ and served with just a touch of lemon.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 15:25
These folks are seriously %^&*(&$#  UP !!  Bucky    

What are they gonna call a corn flake??     Thinking
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 15:29
Who is the Corn Flake who keeps messing with my thing over there????    Flame
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 15:46
 Just what we need! More cats running or swimming around.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 15:52

"SEA KITTEN?!!!"  Whacko

If it weren't for the fact this is from PETA, the same organization who lobbied for Ben & Jerry's to start using human milk instead of cow's milk for their ice cream, I would think this was a satire piece from "The Onion."

I can't believe anyone with a brain gives PETA any credibility whatsoever.

Edited by RifleDude - January/09/2009 at 15:52
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 16:08
There seems a definate need to bring back the T Rex.  Survival should require one have some sense of reality.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 18:19
Sea Kitten--isn't that just a young catfish ???
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 19:32
Sea Kitten?  Light It Up

PETA leaders are sure on a good one because they come up with the most ridiculous ideas. I can't believe so many people support that group. I'll still go fishing.....Now I come to think of it, what should people calling fishing now? Sea Kittening? I think if I used that term people would think I was on something.....pshhhhh

"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 19:36
Hope no peta members look at ED'S security force...they will claim kitty abuse?

Whacko
Ick View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional
ICK, Ed's BOY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 22:35
Fellas, I am offended!  I am a vegetarian.

Well, to tell you the truth I have nothing against eating animals.... I just really hate plants.

lol.  NOT!
--
Ick, Ed's boy,www.ick.bz
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 22:55
I never saw a fish with Hair. Well at least not growing on it.
I did like Chris's video on the red bellies.

Edited by 3_tens - January/09/2009 at 22:56
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 00:14
Fish  smells like sea kitten. Fish

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 00:12
Guys, before we get carried away here, I would like to point out that there is a positive side to PETA: the whackos somehow managed to recruit a bunch of pretty girls and talked them into stripping naked in public.

There is a bunch of photographic evidence of the success of those efforts which I can't post here due to forum rules.

Perhaps, I should start a competing organization.  I bet I can get a few aspiring actresses to cooperate if there is publicity involved.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic