OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-III or Bushnell 4200??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CountryLegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-III or Bushnell 4200??
    Posted: January/08/2009 at 20:07
I have just purchased a Leupold 3.5-10x50mm ill. reticle with 30mm tube and a Bushnell 4200  2.5-10x50mm firefly reticle with 1 in. tube. Me personally am a Leupold guy, but I like the idea of the firefly reticle (no batteries). Only owned one Bushnell scope before and it was decent not too good for low light or clarity like my Leupold's. Just seeing what everybody's feed back and opinions were.  One will be going on my Bushmaster Predator taking the place of the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm mil-dot. (Didn't like the field of view and mil-dot cross hairs were really hard to see at night when varmint hunting, but other wise a good scope). Have to send one back money is a little tight. Thanks for all anwersWink
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 20:27
The only complaint on the firefly is that it is bright in very low light and can wash out your view at times.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 20:34
More than likely, you paid quite a bit more for the leuo, which in turn would give quite a bit more back.  Thats if you an live with the 4200.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
CountryLegend View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CountryLegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 20:37
Price actually was pretty close. I think the difference was about $60. 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 20:45
Close call, optically they are  pretty close, I'd go with my personal gut feeling and don't look back.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 21:35

Rainguard is the clincher--4200 to stay

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CountryLegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 10:52
Well my gut feeling is the Leupold, but wanted to see what other opinions were
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 11:39
Only negative for me with the 4200 is eye relief but I'm not really a Leupold guy either.  So I would suggest to compare them both under the same conditions and pick which looks better to your eyes!
take em!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CountryLegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 13:45
Yeah that is another thing about the Bushnell that i didn't like either, but not a big thing. My Leupold will be in first of next week so I definitely will be comparing them side by side.
Erich10931 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erich10931 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 16:22
I have the exact leupold scope on my .270 win model 70.  

I hunt white tail in texas making 100-300 yard shots and I hunt pigs at night by moonlight and by redlight. 

I have only one beef with my set up, everytime I go hunting either for deer or pigs the animals end up dead in the road.  I can see them no problem and the scope works great.  The reason this is a problem is that I can't justify going out and buying myself a new rig when the one I have does not have any faults.

The adjustable illumination on the reticle is a must (vs the bushnell).  I set the reticle on 3 or 4 and it is perfectly luminated.  If you set it on 10 at night your target will be washed out.

My two cents worth.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 16:42
SInce you have both scopes in your hands, why don't you put them side by side, look at them, look through them, mess with the knobs a little and decide which one works better for your eyes?

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 16:47
Personally I would keep the Leupold

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 20:09
Yea Wes, but you're from Iowa!  Wink
take em!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CountryLegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2009 at 18:52
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that posted. Kept the Leupold Wink. Much better over all especially in low to no light. Really liked that you can adjust the brightness of the reticule. Mounted the Bushnell on a savage .223 I had laying around shot good but was very disappointed in the firefly reticule. It says with 10 seconds of light it will stay lit for hours. We timed it and after 19 minutes could barely see them in almost dark and pitch black. But enough rambling  thanks again to all that posted.
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 05:39
4200 all the way
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 06:42
The firefly that I have is a Bushnell 3200 3x9x50 and it has been great so far......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 06:55
That is the problem with scopes... there can be significant differences in perceived quality among models, and even in the same model line.  What looks good to one person, may/may not look the same to another.  I am not a big Leupold fan (might have said that before), but if it is the most appealing to your eye and has the best "toys" for your objectives, that is what you should have.  There is only one scope I truly REGRET ever having purchased.  Every one has been a learning experience.  Even a negative can have positive results.
Enjoy your Leupold.  I am certain it will serve you well. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic