OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

"Why I am Armed"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Why I am Armed"
    Posted: January/08/2009 at 12:12
My old grandpa said to me son,' there comes a time in every mans life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an ass whoopin':

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.
I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.
I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.
I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.
I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.
I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.
I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection is an oxymoron. Free citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass whoopin'.

..author unknown (but obviously brilliant)
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 12:27
Good, very good.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 12:45

Thunbs Up

( that was very good.....but not as funny as crawl dad....)  !!!
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 15:07
I do not carry a gun... because I live in California and to all the liberals here the thought of me with a legally purchased gun is apparently far more intimidating than the though of 20million illegal immigrants marching across the border (when some of those are marching around with stolen guns, that is apparently OK).

Perhaps, I should consider moving.

ILya
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 15:31
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I do not carry a gun... because I live in California and to all the liberals here the thought of me with a legally purchased gun is apparently far more intimidating than the though of 20million illegal immigrants marching across the border (when some of those are marching around with stolen guns, that is apparently OK).

Perhaps, I should consider moving.

ILya

+++++++++++1
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 15:34
Let's go to Mexico and give them California!!!
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 15:38
Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.

I've been in both places.

Ilya, my brother lives in S. Cal. and I have been trying for years to get him to come back to the free world. I have seen him become Californiaized, and even though he hates it there he won't leave (even though his two daughters and their families did). He always has an excuse like weather, lack of bugs (?), and money. His wife (who also hates it there) says he is a victom of his conservitism.

Get out while you still can.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 15:40
Can I have Lone Pine???     Bandito
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 15:55
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Ilya, my brother lives in S. Cal. and I have been trying for years to get him to come back to the free world. I have seen him become Californiaized, and even though he hates it there he won't leave (even though his two daughters and their families did). He always has an excuse like weather, lack of bugs (?), and money. His wife (who also hates it there) says he is a victom of his conservitism.

Easier said than done.  My job revolves around the high tech world.  Unless I go back into the world of defense/airspace, there are not a lot of places in the country where I can find a good job.  Most of them are even worse then where I live now.

ILya
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 01:18
Great lines for thought!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 10:35
I live in Montana, where I carry a gun because there might be a coyote around.  I don't carry a gun out of fear.  The people here are friendly.  If you do have a gun, they ask what kind, and want to look at it, not take it away from you.  They support guns up here (at least the majority).

But we don't have much high tech, unless it is farm equipment.  Although my bro is raking in about 80k a year in the computer network field out of Butte, MT.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 12:29

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Easier said than done.  My job revolves around the high tech world.  Unless I go back into the world of defense/airspace, there are not a lot of places in the country where I can find a good job.  Most of them are even worse then where I live now.

ILya

Take a look at Michigan, there is more than just the auto industry here.  There are all sorts of tech companies and defense.  Peek around the Ann Arbor area and the best part is... Very pro guns/hunting/fishing.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 12:33
Last time I checked, Michigan was losing high tech jobs faster than just about any other state in the nation.

ILya
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 13:39
We are definitely pro-gun, hunting and fishing up here.
We are also bleeding badly and not just in the automotive sector.
http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090101/BIZ04/901010364
The Pfizer research complex in Ann Arbor is a ghost town after their exit. Though, Ann Arbor is still a great place to work because there is a large talent pool available to companies.
Two of the three engineers I had barley pops with yesterday are unemployed. But, Michigan will eventually recover.

Edited by tahqua - January/10/2009 at 13:40
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 09:35

Last time I checked, Michigan was losing high tech jobs faster than just about any other state in the nation.

ILya

Thats true and we have the worst unemployeement rate.  However, we also have more of those types of jobs to lose than most states.. You have to read between the lines of the statistics.  Your specialty is a bit more unique than most engineering jobs in our state where they tend to be mechanical and electrical based.  You don't see tons of optics folks running around.  I cannot confess to being an expert and knowing all related fields that your background is applicable to, but I would think that it is unique enough that the work force circle is small. 

For instance Trijicon scopes are headquarted in Wixom MI.  Thats actually about 10 mins from my location.  I'm north of Ann Arbor about 15 mins.  There are laser and robotics opportunities here and I'm guessing that your optics background is valuable to them.  I'm not saying it's mecca here, but the state is very big on engineering jobs and pro guns... Two things you expressed a desire for.  If your looking for security, well, your probably not going to find that anywhere (as we all know) outside of the service jobs and I've already got the inside track on the greeters job at WalMart.  Just waiting for my job to be moved to India before I apply!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 07:17

ILya

ILya,

Have you looked in Georgia? I know on campus there is tons of testing for about anything you can think of for the military and other private companies. This is a place of technology.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 08:04

Did you know that for as long as I can remember the unemployment rate in South Africa is around 45%. In the past though it was mainly isolated to the black population. Since apartheid has gone, the white unemployment rate now sits at probably around 20%.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 08:46
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

ILya

ILya,

Have you looked in Georgia? I know on campus there is tons of testing for about anything you can think of for the military and other private companies. This is a place of technology.

Georgia has some promise as does North Carolina.  Out of non-liberal states, I think Texas has the most high-tech industry around (in Austin/San Antonio areas).

I have been looking at different areas of the country, and as we come out of the recession I may find something.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic