OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

best low light scope $400 and under

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 encore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: best low light scope $400 and under
    Posted: January/26/2005 at 00:42
I have a 308 I hunt in woods,max shot at 75yds and occasionaly hunt field and max shot is 200 yds.seems like they always come out right before dark.Any suggestions?
1 Shot Stop
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 03:01
Probably the 3-9 Zeiss Conquest or the 2.5-10x40 Bushnell 4200 would be near perfect for what you want to do.  There are others too like the Burris Signature and a jump up from there (especially in low light situations like you're talking about) would be the Swarovski A-Line 3-10x42!

model88mattie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote model88mattie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 08:48
If you are shooting at under 100 yds most of the time, I don't see any reason to go with a 3-9.  I hunt with a 308 as my mainstay in similar situations most of the time as well and use a Kahles 2-7 on it.  I have to say I bought it to replace a 3-9 a little over a month ago and used it for a week in the woods and love it.  The field of view is huge and the low light performance gets the edge in my opinion over the zeiss, which I have as well.  Check out the sample list, it comes with flip caps too.
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 10:53

2.5-10x40 Bushnell 4200 sounds good.

At low magnification, a 50mm bell should not provide any added advantage in low-light situations.  At ~6x magnification and above, a 50mm bell should start to provide a brighter image.

Edited by Boomholzer
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 18:48

What gozarian said.

ranburr

arro222 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arro222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2005 at 20:16
Get a 1.5x6x36 Elite 4200 and don't look back. Plenty scope for 75 to 300 yds. I believe they now offer this scope with Firefly as well.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2005 at 22:26
Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36.   There's a reason this scope is chosen by so many custom rifle makers.
ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2005 at 20:07

I think fixed scopes are better (and cheaper) than the variables in low light situations. Any good brand fixed scope with 7mm exit pupil could serve you well.

My choices are european scopes ( not necesary expensive...look some ior, meopta, docter, z conquest and more ).   

dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2005 at 12:46

This post will start a sh*t storm but if you think about it, this type of range and conditions are well with in these sights capabilities.

If your primarily hunting less than 75 yds at dawn & dusk with a .308 you might take a look at an Aimpoint or Eo Tech with no magnification.

The Aimpoint is available with low fixed power and a 2 moa dot, or no magnification and a 4 moa dot, has adjustable brightness, is very rugged, and is very quick / easy to use.

The EoTech can be had with two different reticles,  a 65 moa ring and a 1 moa dot or with just the 1 moa dot, has adj brightness and is also very rugged. try to stick with the military or tactical versions that use "AA" batteries. You will get longer battery life and it is alot easier to find batteries out in the middle of no where.

These type of optics may not be your cup of tea but they would be a viable alternative to a traditional scope for close hunting in heavy woods..

Edited by dilligaf
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2005 at 13:26
For a good low light scope under $400 my picks would be Bushnell Elite 4200, Sigtron SII and Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. Any one of these in 3-9 or lower magnification would suit your needs.
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2005 at 16:11

elite 4200 2.5-10X40. enough said.

cory

If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2005 at 16:12
Originally posted by dilligaf dilligaf wrote:

This post will start a sh*t storm but if you think about it, this type of range and conditions are well with in these sights capabilities.

If your primarily hunting less than 75 yds at dawn & dusk with a .308 you might take a look at an Aimpoint or Eo Tech with no magnification.

The Aimpoint is available with low fixed power and a 2 moa dot, or no magnification and a 4 moa dot, has adjustable brightness, is very rugged, and is very quick / easy to use.

The EoTech can be had with two different reticles,  a 65 moa ring and a 1 moa dot or with just the 1 moa dot, has adj brightness and is also very rugged. try to stick with the military or tactical versions that use "AA" batteries. You will get longer battery life and it is alot easier to find batteries out in the middle of no where.

These type of optics may not be your cup of tea but they would be a viable alternative to a traditional scope for close hunting in heavy woods..

I hunted deer this year w/ my Aimpoint. ALL my shots are well within 100 yards. 

I have a .308 Rem. bolt action with a Badger rail.

The Aimpoint is in a Larue mount, mounted on my M4 rail, so the transition was very easy. Didn't even have to touch the adjustments!! Bonus!

I think the Aimpoint has it's limitations, but I agree with Joe wholeheartedly about the Aimpoint. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
holzauge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holzauge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2005 at 18:19
I don't know what loads you shoot or what your 308 weighs, but watch the eye relief on
the 1.5x6x36 Bushnell if you're dealing with a lot of recoil... and don't ask me how I came
to that realization.
riverrat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2005 at 12:53
 I agree about the Bushnell's, very fine scope! Also may check the Nikon Monarch's. Just got a new one that is very good in low light!
poncaguy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poncaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2005 at 15:02
 A fixed power 4X or 6X would be best in low light conditions and the ranges you are shooting.......
STWSniper View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote STWSniper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2005 at 22:21
Bushnell Elite 4200 in a low power variable would also be one of my picks for a good low light scope. The 1.5-6x36mm would be a good choice as would be the 2.5-10x40mm.
akbuddy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akbuddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2005 at 09:54

Why would you go with a fixed power over a variable power for low light?  Or any light condition for that matter?  Do fixed power have a way to transmit  more light or is it visa-versa?  I am new to low light conditions.  I have only shot in day light.  Please explain...

In the words of my hero, Larry the Cable Guy, "...If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for misspelled words..."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2005 at 12:09

Fixed magnification scopes have fewer lenses and, all other things being equal, will transmit more light.  That assumes that theoptical quality is the same.  A low quality fixed scope will obviously not be as good as high quality variable.  Additionally fixed magnification scopes are a little easier to build, so if budget is a consideration that somewhat inexpensive fixed power scopes might fit the bill.

For loq light shooting, IMO, it is best to stick to a 4x or 6x fixed scope or a low range variable.  Also, an illuminated center of the reticle (like on a Burris Signature Safari) is a big help since you usually lose the ability to resolve the reticle before you lose the ability to resolve the target. 

Ilya

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2005 at 13:27

Originally posted by 308 encore 308 encore wrote:

I have a 308 I hunt in woods,max shot at 75yds and occasionaly hunt field and max shot is 200 yds.seems like they always come out right before dark.Any suggestions?

Taking your specific needs into account I would suggest:

Leupold 6x42

Burris 1.5-6 LRS Dot

Bushnell 2.5-10x40 FireFly

Weaver 1.5-5x32

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic