OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

monarch and buckmasters glass the same?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: monarch and buckmasters glass the same?
    Posted: January/07/2009 at 18:27

I got to look through a 6-18x40 Buck & 4-16x42 Monarch I was looking across the store appox 70yrd away in low lit artificial light, at this distance I was able to read letters 3/4" to 1", but the kicker was the optical clearity and brightness appeared to me to be the same, now if the monarch was better I would think in a low light situation it would really be noticeable, but to me with both at 16x to me they where identical, does any one know if they are the same glass or has anyone else noticed this?
Im thinking about E-mailing Nikon but first i want to make sure im not just crazy..lol

Thanks guys

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 18:33
Artificial light will play a big role in how glass appears to your eyes. Try looking in to dark trees about 1/2 hour after sundown. This is when differences in these comparisons will become evident.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 02:39
Just as trigger said.   Store artifical light is not a fair comparison for looking at glass.  "In a store everything looks good".     I looked through a Bushnell 3200 and a 4200 at the store and they both looked "about the same".  Real world big difference.
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 09:57
The glass is different and the coatings are also different. The Buckmaster is a decent scope though for sure. The Monarch is just a bit better, and in darker hunting situations it will be evident. As much as 10 minutes of useable light, depending on situation.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 16:12
Omaha, which store were you looking at scopes at?  As mentioned above, you really can't see much of a diff. inside the store.
take em!
omahaguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 17:28
i was at the bass pro shop in iowa, im going to go to cabelas tomarrow and look through both of them outside, but considering I can get that 6-18x40 buckmasters in mil-dot for $300 im realy liking it..lol
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 20:43
9643 Nikon 6-18x40 Buckmaster 6472, Matte finish, Niko plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus 50yds-infinity, 1/8 MOA target knobs, fast focus eye piece, factory reconditioned $504.00 $249.95
This is from the samplelist by our host.  I knew the 4.5-14 had mil-dot But the 6-18? Not on Nikon site.

Edited by 3_tens - January/08/2009 at 20:44
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
omahaguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 20:46
yup i finally got a msg back from nikon it is custom made for competitor and is the only place to get it they said, i think thats kinda goofy..lol
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 14:03
I agree, the ONLY way to really test scopes is outside, late or even after sundown
this became very evident to me about 5 years ago as I wanted to upgrade an older Leupold VXIIc 3-9x40 and got a Burris FF2 4.5-14
in the daylight I was very impressed with the Burris and of course the magnification made things look better....
but as darkness fell, with the Leupold I could see clearly under trees 200 yards away and the Burris I couldn't

glass quality trumps magnification
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic