OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Elite E2 8x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GunAround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Elite E2 8x42
    Posted: January/07/2009 at 13:45
I just saw these on closeout at the local Sportsman's Warehouse for $329.  Has anyone tried this?  Wondering in comparison to Vortex Viper/Razor, Meopta and the Promaster Ed/Hawke Frontier ED.

Seems like a pretty good deal, but if I get a lot better glass for a few hundred more, then I'd rather pay the difference.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 19:41
6731 Leupold 8x42 Golden Ring 58360, Earth brown rubber armored finish, roof prism, 100% waterproof, twist out eye cups, center focus, Armored Coated, Index Matched Lens System, close to new condition. $1,190.00 $699.95
4822 Swarovski 7x42 SLC 58007, SLC series, black rubber armored, roof prism, center focus, close to new condition. $1,300.00 $899.95
7292 Zeiss 8x32 Victory FL 523220, Black rubber armored, roof prism, center focus, twist out eye cups, locking diopter focus, factory certified refurbished, close to new condition, lifetime transferable warranty. $1,647.00 $1,199.95
If you really want good glass stop playing with the middle of the road stuff and buy a pair that will last you a lifetime.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
carbuyersfriend View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 22:24
Amen....... I've been looking through a ton of binos these past two weeks and can tell you that the difference between a $300 set of binos and a $600 to $800 set is like the difference between a Yugo and a Mercedes Benz (no offense to you Yugo drivers out there). i would love a set of Geovids but that ain't happening now unless I win the lottery and I don't buy tickets ! So my advice to you (and I'am following my own advice) is buy the best you can because you'll hate yourself later. Good binos last forever and are enjoyed and bad binos also last forever and you hate them the whole the whole time....sorta of like a really bad relationship.

Have a great day ...unless you have something else planned
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 09:08
The "pre-E2" bushnell elites are fantastic.  I have a pair of 10x, and 10x trinovids.....there's not much difference.  I'd look there and save some coin. 
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 11:27

Originally posted by urimaginaryfrnd urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Leupold 8x42 Golden Ring

58360, Earth brown rubber armored finish, roof prism, 100% waterproof, twist out eye cups, center focus, Armored Coated, Index Matched Lens System, close to new condition.

$1,190.00

$699.95

You know, I usually think that the Sample List offers some pretty reasonable (and often down-right-awesome) deals but, this one strikes me as being somewhat less than stellar.  Consider for a minute that SWFA sells the current, HD version of Leupold’s 8x42 Golden Ring for only $50 more and I just can’t get too enthused about this particular deal.  I bought my non-HD Golden Ring for $500.  Am I missing something here?

Originally posted by carbuyersfriend carbuyersfriend wrote:

... the difference between a $300 set of binos and a $600 to $800 set is like the difference between a Yugo and a Mercedes Benz… So my advice to you… is buy the best you can because you'll hate yourself later.
  Perhaps “hate yourself later” is a bit extreme.  There is lots of sub-$300 glass that is very, very good.  You do need to be looking at Porro prism glass to achieve this but, it is there.  Even good sub-$100 glass is possible.  Leupold Yosemites, for  example, are unbelievably good.

I do think you are right to buy the best you can afford, but I know lots of people with sub-$300 glass that are perfectly happy with what they have and feel no desire for anything better.

Originally posted by carbuyersfriend carbuyersfriend wrote:

Good binos last forever and are enjoyed and bad binos also last forever and you hate them the whole the whole time....sorta of like a really bad relationship.
Once upon a time, this used to be true.  It’s not anymore.  Oh sure, the glass itself is physically capable of lasting a lifetime but, advances in image quality, build quality, durability, weight savings, and added features like laser rangefinders all conspire to make the optics enthusiast “need” the latest and greatest, even though what they have is perfectly fine.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 18:14
That is a screaming deal. As somebody else noted, even the pre-ED Bushnell Elite was a great glass, fully equal to most if not all $600-$800 binoculars. I have a pre-ED 8x42--along with dozens of other binoculars ranging up to the top-grade Leica, Meopta, Nikon, Swarovski, Zeiss, etc. and in general you will have to pay $800 or more to beat (or even equal) the 8x42 Elites.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic