OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6mm Remington

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 21:12

I have shot the .243 for yotes, but drilled one with my .270 once. I can't say it was that bad. The .243 is still the king of my collection for yotes. I've never hit them WAY out there, but hit one at about 385 once. He was dead as any other I've shot. He was about the only one to hold still though.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Coyote View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 21:17
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

are you talking 250 savage?

frequently you will hear varminters refer to the 22-250 as the "250"

Well ya, is there any other "250"? Big Smile
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 21:19
250 savage or 250 savage improved hell yeh I got one.

Edited by rifle looney - January/05/2009 at 22:01
Coyote View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 21:22
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Not sure why you would want to go with a 260 for yotes and varmits. Are you going for double duty, such as deer and yotes?

Nope, no double duty.

What im looking for is something that will buck more wind at longer ranges. Im not terribly concerned with being "fur friendly" but it would be nice.

I guess, im looking for something that performs like the .308, just not in a .308 hahaha. Am I being difficult yet? Big Smile

Like I said, I shot a .308 for a few years, really liked it, killed alot of dogs at some pretty good ranges, and was always pleasantly suprised with how "fur friendly" it was.

Just trying to get a feel for any of the other options out there as im no "gun guy", I know what I use, and use what I know.

I know NOTHING about the 6mm, and from the few articles I read and charts I looked it, it seemed like it would outperform the .243 quite a bit.

And who knows, I just may go back to the old standby .308.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 08:30
6mm is based on the 257 roberts which is based on the 7x57 mauser and can be made by resizing any of these when handloaded it will out perform the 243, 58 grs in my gun run around 4200 fps, and 3125 with 87 hpbt or vmax. with premium bullet its good on animals up to elk. The barrel life is like all hunting rifles-- what you want to live with-- with the premium accuracy falling off about 1500 rds, (depending on how hot you load). The 3100 fps load is mild. 6mm advantage is the long neck on the cartridge. The BC of the 87s is only .375, but even at 3100 fps, that translantes to 19 moa at 1000 yds which puts it in the same catagory as a 140 gr 6.5-284 with much less powder. As compared to the the bc of .610 140 gr the wind drift is almost twice. If you choice a tighter twist, bullets in the 110 gr are available and will shoot at distance with any caliber or load out there.
to give you an idea of wind drift at 10 mph at 800 yd
a 40 gr 204 will about 14 moa wind drift
6mm 87 gr at 800 about  13
175 smk in 308 about 20
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 08:51
Dale, are you sure about that load. I seem to remember my 6mm had a max. load of 48 grs (4350) with 85 gr Sierra's.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 09:53
sorry the 58 grs referrs to the vmax bullet not a powder charge.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 12:08
I have a Win 70 in 6mm remington. It is so close to .243 in performance that it does not really make a difference. 
 However, 6mm does better when reloading, because it has a bit longer neck - i don't know how and why, that is what i read. I am no whiz either. Brass is easy to find, as well as factory loadings (available on the internet). There are plenty of good 6 mm bullets, and several powders work well. It's not a fussy cartridge to reload, and it does have less recoil and uses less powder than the 25-06. The only thing that seems to be really peculiar is that OAL length and distance from lands matters more than anything else when reloading. 
Otherwise, pretty flat shooting and fits in short actions. Barrel life should be ok, like those of .243, maybe longer.  
Mine is marked 6mm Rem, and it shoots well bullets of 100 gr.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic