OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch UCC cal'd in True MOA or IPHY?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rain252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch UCC cal'd in True MOA or IPHY?
    Posted: January/05/2009 at 18:44
Does anyone know if Nikon uses True MOA or Shooter's MOA (Inch per hundred yards) in their scope?

I have a few Nikon Monarch UCC's bought during the big Nikon sale about a year ago and have been wondering about that.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 18:55
Do you really think you could tell the difference?  Scopes internal adjustments are not precise enough to see a few thousandths of an inch @100 yds.
hossdaniels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hossdaniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:16
FWIW, mines uses what it wants.  Usually 3 clicks per inch at 100.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:21
Maybe mine is defective, but sometimes it's .25, sometimes .50, sometimes .33 IPHY. I don't know whats going on, but it certainly doesn't track like long range target scope.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:26
This is interesting guys. I have a few Monarchs with standard plex reticles. I haven't bothered with box testing, but they have pretty much moved as I expected when sighting in, 1/4" per click. They haven't lost zero, either.

Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:12
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

Do you really think you could tell the difference?  Scopes internal adjustments are not precise enough to see a few thousandths of an inch @100 yds.

The scopes you're used to using, possibly not.

Rain, the only way to know for sure what you have is to measure.  A colliminator/boresighter is the easiest way but a yardstick at 100 yds will do and is pretty convenient.

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:15
Glad you could join us Jon. 

How do you know what scopes I use?  Do you shoot competitively?  Do you shoot groups small enough to see the difference between MOA and 1"? 

Even with "the scopes I use" nobody will notice the difference between 1" and 1.0472" POI change with 4 clicks @100yds.

Edited by Horsemany - January/05/2009 at 20:22
rain252 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rain252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 21:48

Is it ok if I just feel like knowing because I am curious to know?
I take your answer to be...."No, I don't know or care, and you shouldn't either."

Thank you.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 22:05

I didn't mean it that way sir.  I am saying I have never owned a scope where one could distinguish a difference of .0472" over 4 clicks @100yds.   The input of others here supports my belief as they have stated the click values vary.  I shoot benchrest and I can tell you that has never come up even in that game where we judge ourselves on hundreth's of an inch.  We shoot for score too(not group sizes).  That means the accuracy and precision of scope adjustments are crucial.  And still this .0472" is not an issue.  I've shot box tests on most of the scopes I own (some are higher end Zeiss, Swaro) and the adjustments are never perfect.  I shoot the boxes on grid paper so it's quite obvious.

Welcome to the forum.

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 22:13
.....OMG!.....again?
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 22:16
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

.....OMG!.....again?

Is this a common topic?  Or do you mean me?Hiding
rain252 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rain252 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 23:41

I didn't mean it that way sir.  I am saying I have never owned a scope where one could distinguish a difference of .0472" over 4 clicks @100yds.   The input of others here supports my belief as they have stated the click values vary.  I shoot benchrest and I can tell you that has never come up even in that game where we judge ourselves on hundreth's of an inch.  We shoot for score too(not group sizes).  That means the accuracy and precision of scope adjustments are crucial.  And still this .0472" is not an issue.  I've shot box tests on most of the scopes I own (some are higher end Zeiss, Swaro) and the adjustments are never perfect.  I shoot the boxes on grid paper so it's quite obvious.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the information, Sir.  I appreciate it.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 00:11

How do you know what scopes I use? 

I was simply taking your word for it.  You said "scopes' internal adjustments are not precise enough."  If the scopes you have owned or used which led you to this conclusion (why else would you say it?) did not have precise enough adjustments, who am I to say you're wrong?  Forgive me for giving you the benefit of the doubt.
Quote Do you shoot competitively? 

No.
Quote Do you shoot groups small enough to see the difference between MOA and 1"? 

Yes.
Quote nobody will notice the difference between 1" and 1.0472" POI change with 4 clicks @100yds.

From where did you get the maximum range of 100 yds or the maximum input of 4 clicks at a time?  They were not in the question.

For example, a load in my 7-08 takes 31 MOA of adjustment to get to 1000 yds.  That 5% error, 31 TIMES OVER adds up to being off by roughly 15".  You don't need to be a "competetive shooter" to shoot groups small enough to notice that amount of error--do you notice when you to miss whatever you're shooting at every single time?  Even at a modest 650 yds, the error is nearly 6" which is unacceptable even on very large targets.  If hunting varmints, thinking your scope adjusts in one unit instead of the other can cause misses anywhere beyond 300 yds.

This matters to some people.  Maybe that's why he's asking.  Do you really think he's asking because he's worried about .047" at 100 yds? 
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 00:16
Get Your Popcorn Ready

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 07:49
Bow
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 09:55

.....OMG!.....again?

are you kidding me or what?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 10:30
my monarchs are moa, the mk4s are IPHY because of the way leo calculates the milradian, all my v3 are moa
the error is enhanced when poorly made sfp scopes with large bells are brought together
Jon prefers ffp and milrad to avoid this problem-- everybody has there way of doing something.
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 10:32
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

my monarchs are moa, the mk4s are IPHY because of the way leo calculates the milradian, all my v3 are moa
the error is enhanced when poorly made sfp scopes with large bells are brought together
Jon prefers ffp and milrad to avoid this problem-- everybody has there way of doing something.
Any input on a Conquest Dale? I haven't turned the knobs enough to find out. I really need to get my gun back so I can find all this out one of these days.

TominCA View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TominCA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 13:22
My Monarch 3-9 does not adjust as precisely as my VX3 (absolutely perfect every time!) or my Zeiss Conquest. Its the older style so I cannot speak for the new ones. Because of that I wouldn't worry about MOA or IPHY. They are good scopes for the $$
Tom in CA
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 14:02
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

.....OMG!.....again?

are you kidding me or what?

For the record, that wasn't toward me.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic