OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Monarch 8-32 Nikon braindead?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Monarch 8-32 Nikon braindead?
    Posted: January/05/2009 at 18:27
Nikon Monarch with the new ED glass in 8-32x50 got my attention.  My problem is the only 2 reticle choices are Nikoplex and BDC.  I'm not a big fan of either one @32X.  Why on earth would they not offer it with Fine Crosshair and Fine Crosshair with target dot like they do the 6-24?  Whoever made that decision at Nikon needs to wake up.!Horse Poop

Edited by Horsemany - January/05/2009 at 18:53
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:08
I agree.
I read ILya Koshkin's review on the Vortex and was really impressed by the size of the Bushnell 6500 2.5-16. This scope comes with all the bells and whistles that are all the rage these days. I have come to accept these scopes and in fact would like to try one of these beauties for big game hunting.
This is opposite of what you have to say about the high powered Monarch. But, a big game, low light 6500 with only a fine plex or mil-dot has me concerned. Is this the marketing people in control? Is it long range target shooters? Or is it the long range snipers of big game in broad day light? Certainly not my type of big game hunters.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:42
Has anyone looked through the "ED" glassed Monarch?
McKinneyMike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McKinneyMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:55
Problem is that you have a group of advertising exec's looking for the next great "feature" to market, and they really do not know what their real market is for their better quality stuff.  Nikon could really be making bigger strides if they would just look at Zeiss, NightForce, USO and try to incorporate some of their reticule systems along with the target oriented reticules for the obvious BR market, instead of trying to shove their "preceived" gift from God in every product they make. 

It makes one wonder what someone with a real sense of what shooters want could do for a great big company like Nikon.

I love their products and for the money, they are very tough to beat.  Just wished that they would really listen and look at what the cutting edge shooters are using and wanting.  The masses really feed off these people for their "wants and needs" IMHO.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 20:14
Originally posted by McKinneyMike McKinneyMike wrote:

Problem is that you have a group of advertising exec's looking for the next great "feature" to market, and they really do not know what their real market is for their better quality stuff.  Nikon could really be making bigger strides if they would just look at Zeiss, NightForce, USO and try to incorporate some of their reticule systems along with the target oriented reticules for the obvious BR market, instead of trying to shove their "preceived" gift from God in every product they make. 

It makes one wonder what someone with a real sense of what shooters want could do for a great big company like Nikon.

I love their products and for the money, they are very tough to beat.  Just wished that they would really listen and look at what the cutting edge shooters are using and wanting.  The masses really feed off these people for their "wants and needs" IMHO.

Well said.  I think I knew I wouldn't want a standard plex reticle on a 32X scope when I was 10.
Boom Stick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boom Stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 11:04
Well here is my question.  Wouldn't the BDC reticle make a hell of a lot more sense in a 32x power scope than say something like a 3-9x.  Because of the plane that the reticle is on the circles stay the same size, and thus the higher power you go to the smaller the circles would appear in relation to your target.  I just really can't find the reason for the BDC on a 3-9x when the dots are basically covering up your target at 400yds or so. 

With my limited experience with this reticle I'm not absolutely sure of my theories, but I would think that for varminting that something over 20x with the bdc reticle would be ideal and for medium sized game that a 14x with the bdc would be ideal.  Anyone shooting 300yds or less shouldn't have any reason to use the darn thing I would think. 
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 11:39
Boom....... I can see where you would have an idea that this makes logical sense. However, the reticle has been tested by many engineers, and also by several outdoor enthusiasts. Chris Farris and the SWFA staff as well. They have the proof that it will and does work very well in all of the available set ups. There is a video of the actual use of the scope with the BDC being used to shoot chains holding up the targets. Our very own Cheaptrick has posted some very good groups using the BDC as well. The very most important thing is knowing what the scope and rifle combo do to complement you as the shooter.  
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 13:31
Originally posted by Boom Stick Boom Stick wrote:

Well here is my question.  Wouldn't the BDC reticle make a hell of a lot more sense in a 32x power scope than say something like a 3-9x.  Because of the plane that the reticle is on the circles stay the same size, and thus the higher power you go to the smaller the circles would appear in relation to your target.  I just really can't find the reason for the BDC on a 3-9x when the dots are basically covering up your target at 400yds or so. 

With my limited experience with this reticle I'm not absolutely sure of my theories, but I would think that for varminting that something over 20x with the bdc reticle would be ideal and for medium sized game that a 14x with the bdc would be ideal.  Anyone shooting 300yds or less shouldn't have any reason to use the darn thing I would think. 

A couple of comments:

1.  What do you mean when you say "plane the reticle is on"?  All monarch scopes including the 8-32x50 have second focal plane reticles.  As for the size of the BDC reticle relative to the target, that depends on which magnification it is calibrated for.  On Monarchs, I think the reticleis calibrated at the higest magnification.

2.  Personally, I do not like the BDC reticle much since I preffer hashmarks to little circles.  Just a personal preference.  Besides, I am generally, not very big on holdover reticles in SFP scopes (although I have played with quite a few of them and own one).

ILya
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 15:13
Another question why would Nikon marketing not have a link to Rifle Scopes through the front page of there web site. If you search Riflescopes they are under sporting optics but you can not find any mention of them on the sporting optics page linked from the front page. You have to come in the back door.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 15:27
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

Another question why would Nikon marketing not have a link to Rifle Scopes through the front page of there web site. If you search Riflescopes they are under sporting optics but you can not find any mention of them on the sporting optics page linked from the front page. You have to come in the back door.

They don't want to upset the soccer moms that buy their cameras.  Having anything to do with weapons and killing animals could hurt sales in other areas.  Swarovski does the same thing to an extent so they don't upset the old ladies that buy their crystal figurines. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 15:28
Someone mention Nikon's BDC reticle??

HA!! Don't even think about trying to shoot any decent groups @ 300 yards with that BDC piece of crap!!

Whistling

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 15:54
Nice to see that BDC works for you.  They could keep that offering but add fine crosshair and target dot IMO.  I would think those are the bread and butter of 32x scopes. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 15:57
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

They could keep that offering but add fine crosshair and target dot IMO.  I would think those are the bread and butter of 32x scopes. 

I concur. 
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 16:59
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Someone mention Nikon's BDC reticle??

HA!! Don't even think about trying to shoot any decent groups @ 300 yards with that BDC piece of crap!!

Whistling

Oh yeah! Well I can do that with my Conquest too...............................at about 30 feet. Nice shooting CT.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 17:15
Thanks, Trig.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2009 at 18:09
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

They don't want to upset the soccer moms that buy their cameras.  Having anything to do with weapons and killing animals could hurt sales in other areas.  Swarovski does the same thing to an extent so they don't upset the old ladies that buy their crystal figurines. 

And I do not use a Nikon Camera So There.      Big Smile   Teach them.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Sled2live View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sled2live Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 10:58
So Sarcastically speaking of course....did you miss the eye or the 10 ring?
What was your aim point?
 Thanks!   good shooting
Scott

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 13:29
Originally posted by Sled2live Sled2live wrote:

So Sarcastically speaking of course....did you miss the eye or the 10 ring?
What was your aim point?
 Thanks!   good shooting
Scott

I was aiming for a flea below the varmints eye, of course.  Wink

Point of aim was 10 ring and third circle. I zero'd @ 100 yards.

When I split the circles between the 2nd and third, I came up with this.

Not as tight of group on this target. I wish I had shot some more rounds than I did. With a little practice, I think I could dial in the reticle with my load fairly easily.

Heres one at 200 yards.

I think I fired 4 or 5 rounds while holding on the 2nd circle, then shot the last two or three rounds while splitting the 1st and 2nd circle, but I'm not 100% sure about that. 

Thank you for your interest! Sorry to high jack the original post.    
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 08:43
GOOD SHOOTING CT....I have been playing wiith my BDC trying to learn it....I just got a NEW REM 700 SPS Varmint in 204 and I have been thinking about the monarch 8-32, but I keep going back to Bushnell elite 4200 6x24x40. I have two of them and man they are GREAT.........
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 13:45
I'd like to see that Nikon with the ED glass up close.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic