OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

While we are on the subject of Burris

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: While we are on the subject of Burris
    Posted: January/04/2009 at 18:18
 Hey fellas I am looking at a 1.5-6x40 signature select and a Euro diamond in the same power, could any body tell me what I am getting in the Diamond over the signature for the $100 more it cost ?  I was looking at the ziess 1.8-5.5 but the closer mag range and it being over 13" kinda turned me off of it and I try to stick with USA  brands if possible!
The unprepared are the most likely to suffer;    Teddy R.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 19:12
If I were you, I would get the Sig Sel.  It is lighter, has the same glass in it, same adjustment range, and about the same mounting space.  The only thing you are getting is a 30 mm tube.  Might make it a little stronger.  I really believe the only reason Burris came out with the Euro series is to cater to the 30 mm guys out there.  In this case, I can see no real difference or advantage over the 1" Sig Sel.

I would go with the Sig Sel in this case.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 19:22
I'll add you can also get the 3P reticles, lit electro dot and non-illuminated, with the Euro. They might perform better in low light, if that is needed.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 19:29
You can get the illum electro dot with the Sig Sel.  But the Euro does have more reticle options.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 19:36
Guess maybe I should clarify.

Euro :  3P Reticles - Illuminated and non-illum

Sig Sel : Plex Reticles - Illum and non-illum

Those are the only reticles available for each of those scopes.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 21:01
I have had both. The Signature Select 1.5-6x40 (Taper Plex) and the Euro Diamond 1.5-6x40 (#4 Electro Dot). The SIGNATURE SELECT has the TAPER PLEX which looks identical to the Zeiss Conquest Z-PLEX RETICLE. The only slight difference being that inner plex lines on the Taper Plex were slightly heavier than the Zeiss Z plex inner lines which I like better. The Burris Euro Diamonds are very nice and built like a tank. Both have a one piece eyepiece/power adjustment. I liked the grooved metal adjustment on the Euro Diamond better. It is easier to grasp and has deep grooved ribs on it where as the Sig. Select is rather smooth with very shallow slots on it. Optically I think they are very similar but the view through the Euro Diamond is slightly larger and more comfortable to me and a little more forgiving for eye position. The Euro Diamond set at 1.5 showed now distortion like some scopes and was extremely clear and crisp. If you want an Electro Dot then get the Euro Diamond because they now have the new digital light switch(button) located on the side of the adjustment turret and it is very low profile while the Sig. Select switch is the old style with the big bulky turret on top of the Eye piece which looks horrible and will end up sticking out in different positions due to scope power setting. I believe both have the same adjustment range, very similar glass and even weight. I like the looks of the Euro Diamond better and it just feels tough. Also, I noticed the reticle wires in the Sig. Select were visible past the edges of the view through the scope almost the point where they were anchored to the scope body or reticle ring. I have noticed it in another Sig. Select model too but not in the Euro Diamond. I dont think it would cause a problem but I didnt like it becuase I have never seen another scope with a reticle like that. My choice would be the Burris Euro Diamond but with a TAPER PLEX reticle which I liked better than the #4. The #4 in the Euro Diamond is thick but seems to reflect light a little more than the taper plex wire did. The adjustment dials on both are identical but I think the clicks on the Euro Diamond were more audible and easier to feel.
porkchop401 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 06:13
 Now that is the kind of info that I am looking for! I have been checking teck spec's and have found that they use the same lense and internal components today I plan on letting SWFA hook me up today! with a signature select!Yippee 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 06:16
 GREAT post D44!
porkchop401 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 07:16
Hey felas , I stumbled up on sample list? do these scopes have any kind of warranty, also their is a Kahles 2-7 americian  rifle scope how will this compare to the burris in question?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 10:09
The glass in the Kahles should be substantially better. I have Signature and Kahles scopes and it isn't close.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic