OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Two kinds of Zeiss Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two kinds of Zeiss Conquest
    Posted: January/03/2009 at 21:34
The other day I got into a discussion with a friend that works in a sports shop that I go to, and he tells me that the Zeiss Conquest comes from two different places. He says there is a Conquest with German glass (high end price), and a Conquest that comes with Japanese glass ( lower cost). He went on to tell me that there was no way the German glass could sell for around 450. He says the German glass would actually sell for 1,500 in that same scope. I had never heard this before.
Is there any truth to any of this?
I thought that Zeiss was just Zeiss. Not two different companies making two different levels of scopes from two different countries.
Can anyone fill me in on the Zeiss company itself?
Thanks.
Frank
Do it because you want to, not because you think you have to!
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 21:38
I heard Meopta makes the glass for Conquest's ???????????
Jim Bolivar diGriz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Bolivar diGriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 21:41
To the best of my knowledge the Conquest line is unique for the North American market, i.e. not available in Europe.
Where the glass is made, I don't know, but it does not make any difference to me. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 21:53
As cbm stated, the glass comes from Meopta. The erector assembly is made by Zeiss and shipped here for assembly. Not sure if the tube itself is made here or shipped in for production. Your friend might be confusing the Conquest with the Diavari MC scopes which had everything made by Zeiss, but was shipped here to be assembled. The MC's were discontinued in the late 90's for cost of manufacturing reasons.
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 21:59
He stated the glass comes from Meopta, but they buy from shotz (spelling) glass where most of the glass comes from.
I have tried to get information on Zeiss web site, but cannot find anything.
He went on to say that there is nothing wrong at all with the Zeiss Conquest I have for the price I paid, but that there was another over seas that would have cost me over 1,500 for the same scope but the glass is higher in quality.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 22:03
Originally posted by frankb frankb wrote:

The other day I got into a discussion with a friend that works in a sports shop that I go to, and he tells me that the Zeiss Conquest comes from two different places. He says there is a Conquest with German glass (high end price), and a Conquest that comes with Japanese glass ( lower cost). He went on to tell me that there was no way the German glass could sell for around 450. He says the German glass would actually sell for 1,500 in that same scope. I had never heard this before.
Is there any truth to any of this?
I thought that Zeiss was just Zeiss. Not two different companies making two different levels of scopes from two different countries.
Can anyone fill me in on the Zeiss company itself?
Thanks.
Frank

Maybe when your friend was referring to the high end priced Zeiss scopes (what he calls conquest - German glass) he meant one of the "top shelf" Zeiss Victory Diavari models that sell here in the states for around $1,500.00.

In the past I thought I've read posts from some of our "Euro members" who have stated the Conquest was designed for the North American market and not sold in Europe.

Edited by mike650 - January/03/2009 at 22:17
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 22:06
According to Zeiss cusomter service ALL Conquests are built in their U.S. facility.   Your friend is mistaken.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 22:21
Zeiss owns Schott glass but they buy from other glass manufactures as well (not lenses, raw glass).
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 01:02
I have never heard of two lines of Conquest.
The Zeiss Conquest line is not sold by Carl Zeiss in Europe.
The Conquest is made for the American marked only.
Zeiss scopes sold in Europe are the Varipoint, Victory and Classic line, all German made as far as I know.

That said, the Zeiss Conquest are aviable at least in Norway, but imported from USA by independent dealers.
Carl Zeiss will not see them or hear about them regarding warrant or anything else.
Any problems...ship back to USA!

I have a couple Conquests and priced more or less the same as Leupold VXIII, the Conquest is better in low light situations than my VXIII.

The two Victorys I have are in a different liege all together, that mean both price and performance
Seawolf
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 08:32
Does the Zeiss Conquest that we know of have German glass in it at all?
I would imagine that it is possible the person I talked to was referring to the Victory Diavari, and just made the mistake of saying Conquest.
In any case, I am still very happy with my Conquest no matter where it comes from. I was just trying to confirm some of the information I got the other day in the shop! 
Alycidon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alycidon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 12:26
Conquest is not available through Ziess in England and I think probably the rest of Europe.   The only ones here are grey imports, I think the word protectionism comes to mind.  The only cheaper good quality scope available here are from the likes of Luepold etc.

A
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 15:30
Well, I guess if you want a scope where you know for sure where everything comes from, get an NCStar! Karate
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 16:05
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Well, I guess if you want a scope where you know for sure where everything comes from, get an NCStar! Karate

I've seen some bad advice here but..............Yikes
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 19:29
From the Zeiss website:
CONQUEST 3-9x40 MC
The traditional all-purpose riflescope for American hunting conditions with 3x to 9x power and eye relief of 4 inches. Due to its compact design - 13.15 inches long and 15 oz. - this scope is also popular with mountain hunters in Europe.
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 21:31
If I had a dollar for every half baked theory heard in a gun shop I could buy a Zeiss Conquest German glass or not.
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 10:33
.........yeah........it's best to wear ear plugs while looking at the used gun racks..............
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 10:42
Originally posted by donlipa donlipa wrote:

If I had a dollar for every half baked theory heard in a gun shop I could buy a Zeiss Conquest German glass or not.

If you spent more time in a gun shop you would be looking at Victorys, or Swaro Z6's. Or maybe they don't have very many half baked theorys in your gun shop.Big Smile

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2009 at 12:18
agreed
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic