OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best for $800 or so

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best for $800 or so
    Posted: January/03/2009 at 16:44
Well I had a post up with the all the binoculars that I was interested in but wanted to hear everyones reviews. People seemed to steer me in a different direction. My budget is around $800 would consider going up to about $1000 for a good set of binoculars. Everyone here mentioned the Meostar B1 and the Vortex Razors any other top of the line binocular to consider? Im looking at a minimum of 10x. I see some ppl mentioned the Promaster Elite ELX ED but not keen on them bc ive never heard of them before. Looking for a good low light, and sharp imagine. I like the Razor's design better than the Meostar, but was wondering do either of them have a tripod mounting hole on them? I also like the fact that the Razor's come with extra eye cups, does the Meostar come with extra eye cups? I know there are alot of ?'s here but if you guys could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 17:42
Unless you are in a real hurry, I'd wait untill after the upcoming SHOT show. There is bound to be a bunch of new stuff show up there.  Vortex for one already has press releases and advertisements I've seen in a trade magazine.  They've upped the quality of the Diamondback, have new 32mm Vipers and a new model they call the Kiabab, in 15x56. They won't be the only outfit with new stuff. 

I'd bet Chris Farris will probably be there to see what's new in all the stuff SWFA carries too. I'd wait and talk to Chris after SHOT.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 09:41
Leupold golden rings aren't bad,  I have the meoptas and looked at the Vortex line.  All were nice, but the meoptas were best for me.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 11:03

The Vortex razor was my choice. It bothered me a little that I was not able to find any shops in the area that carried the Meoptas to try.  The 8X42 Razor works very well.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 11:36
Hey Jesse the Vortex Razor is a great bino and I have had 2 of them but for the money, I would look at the Pentax DCF 10x43 SP or ED series. I have both the 8 and 10 power SP models and they are as good as the Vortex Razors  to my eyes and they are much less expensive.  Good Luck.

abailey54
abailey54
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 11:59
I think pentax and minox are pretty good choices also, alittle less expensive while still providing very nice glass, same goes for the vortex viper.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2009 at 14:58
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I think pentax and minox are pretty good choices also, alittle less expensive while still providing very nice glass, same goes for the vortex viper.

Which Minox's are you referring to?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2009 at 16:12
I have used the Razors and find them to be excellent for the money. There is very little distortion and the low light performance of the 8x42 is very good.http://www.swfa.com/c-2125-vortex-razor-binoculars.aspx
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2009 at 20:17
I purchased the Leupold Golden Rings and have not felt like changing for anything else yet. 

I also had a Bushnell Elite that was very nice.  It would be worth checking out too.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 02:20
I think you hav to first decide what configuration you want: 10x or something with more magnification? Also, is weight important? Can you go to larger objective lenses?

With 10x, I would probably look at 10x50 Razor or 10x50 Meostar.  With the 8x models, I would pick the Meostar, but with 10x, I would probaly go with the Razor based on its better color accuracy.

On the other hand, if you do not mind a substantially larger binocular, check out Docter Nobilem 10x50 porros.  These have truly impressive resolution.  Docter Optics never quite figured out how to make roof binoculars, but their porro binoculars are absolutely superb (and comparatively affordable).

ILya

Jesse1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jesse1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 14:10
I was waiting for the Show to happen so that i could get a reply. Thanks Koshin, for replying. As far as maginfication goes, im more than likely going to go with a 12x. Weight isn't a factor for me, and size doesn't matter all that much either. Just looking for a good binocular that while glassing for things anywhere from Whitetails, to waterfowlwill have good lowlight capabilities and day time clarity. Im an all-around hunter, and use it to view wildlife on the off season. I almost always have a steady rest while viewing, so as far as not being steady with a 12x isn't a problem. Just looking for the Best binocular in low light to determine how big a buck those last crucial minutes of shooting hours or where ducks are restin for the night just before it gets dark and they are landing on the water where it makes it hard to see them. the same binocular also needs to have good day time clarity to pickout a deer laying beside a rock pile or its antlers in tall grass. Anyone who hunts alot knows what im talking about. I know 12x isn't the best for low light, but where i hunt alot of my viewing is a long ways off, its all open plain, and could use the extra magnification. I've done alot of research on the Vortex Razor and also the Meopta Meostar. Am a big leupold fan but they don't make them in a 12X except one model for around $600. I can't really get a hands on anything bc Im in Iraq, but would like to get a pair so its at home for when i get back for hunting. But if anyone has any suggestions let me know.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 16:30
If weight is not a factor, check out the Docter Nobilem 10x50 porros.

As for higher magnifications, I am a big believer in high quality optics and large exit pupils, so I'd stick with a 10x50.  If you go higher magnification, consider also having a larger objective lens.

Maybe Minox BL 13x56 BR will work for you.

ILya
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 07:13
I know you want some high magnification binos, but I thought I'd give you my .02 anyway.  I have a set of 8x42's and a set of 10x42's.  The 8x ones are much easier to hold steady than the 10x.  I would imagine with 12x you are going to need the tripod mount to keep from getting a headache pretty quickly from using the 12x ones.  The 8x is definitely brighter in low light too with a 42mm objective so you definitely want a BIG objective with a 12x. 

I have looked through a set of Meopta Meostars, this week actually, and they are superb.  I'm very impressed with Meopta products.  The prices on them seem to be shooting up.  I have a friend who bought a meostar scope about 2 years ago and the model he has could be bought then for $700, then it was $800, then $880, now $979.  I should have bought one then when he did.  Anyway, I think they are a fantastic brand.  
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 18:07
If it was less than 12X I'd say the Razors or the Pentax DCFs (those being the nicest under a $1000 that I looked through).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic