OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Howa 1500 Varmint Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Howa 1500 Varmint Scope
    Posted: January/03/2009 at 13:59
Hey guys.  I have seen some posts related to my question before.  I have a Howa 1500 in 22-250.  I will be hunting Varmints (i.e. fox, coyote, etc).  I am looking for a scope under 300.  I would like to have either side parallax adjustment or adjustable objective.  If any help can be provided I would appreciate it.  I am looking for possible shots up to 500 yards and would like something that will hold up in the bush.  Thanks again.
You can't hurt 'em, if you don't hit 'em.
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 19:57
Well, in that price range a side focus is going to be hard to find in a QUALITY scope.If you must, I'd go with a Nikon Buckmasters 6-18, they're pretty decent glass for the money.If you can live without a front focus objective, slightly better glass would be had with the Bushnell 3200 series, very clear glass for the money.
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
sorry, couldn't hear your shot
dsrrising View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsrrising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 01:50
Mueller eraticator 8.5-25x50 is about 250 oneclickshooting.com has it for 230 i think im getting it for my H&R 22-250 i think it will work great im going to be doing the same thing but i want to see what i cane make this wepon do so i want to realy bring the target in
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 06:16

dsrrising please check forum rules on posting  and welcome to the OT

Duce   Smile
Duce
Desperado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 17:16
I considered the Buckmaster and the Bushnell.  Both seems like they would fit the bill.  I feel like if I am going to spend 300 on a scope I ought to just get a SWFA Super Sniper.  They seem to have awesome reviews and good performance.  What are the downsides to the Buckmaster, Bushnell, or the SWFA?  The Super Sniper seems to be the best of the choices.
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 17:15
I have the same rifle for yotes in .223 and use a 3-9x50 buckmaster.  I do not normally like 50mm objectives, but do feel like it works well for yotes when the light gets low in case I need a bit more magnification I still have a large exit pupil.

Tom

Big_Bayou_Hooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big_Bayou_Hooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 18:45
I'm putting a Super Sniper on my Howa 1500 as soon as can. Heard SS were coming out with a variable scope but it probably will be about 6 months.
Ronnie A Lovell
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 18:51
Well, one of our members tested the Super Sniper by running over it with a truck.  I don't think the "bush" is going to exceed that.  If you expect to have any short range shooting, you might find the 10x minimum a bit restrictive.  However, it is MORE than adequate for your 500yd range.  Personally, based upon your stated requirements, I would find it totally satisfactory.  I don't find a variable particularly more useful for coyote hunting.  I generally, with a variable, set it on 8x or 10x and leave it there.  Have not had any problems.  However, it is a personal thing and I am not saying that would work for you. YOU have to make that decision.  You need to 1) evaluate your skill level honestly, 2) establish a set of VALID requirements, 3) evaluate available optics, 4) make a selection based upon those requirements and your honest assessment of your skill.  We can help you by giving you information on what has worked for us (consistently), but you are the final authority on what will work for you.  So I guess, given your statements, I would go with the SS 10x.  That does not suggest it is the proper scope for you, but would be MY first choice.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Desperado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 18:58
In my search for a decent piece of glass I have come across a Millett 4-16X50 w/ side focus and ill mil-dot.  It is comparable in price and in reviews.  Anyone familiar with this company or scope in particular? 
By the way thank you for the insight from my last comments.  You guys know your stuff and the assistance is appreciated.
matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 19:50

I like the millett scopes very well

you can look here for the pic of some target I shot with a 308. I like this scope so much that I got one for a new 223.

mattc
Desperado View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Desperado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:29
Great groups man.  Good shooting.  Yeah I am leaning that same way with the Millett.  Getting groups like that is great for hunting at distance.  
matc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 17:25
Originally posted by Desperado Desperado wrote:

Great groups man.  Good shooting.  Yeah I am leaning that same way with the Millett.  Getting groups like that is great for hunting at distance.  
thanks
It takes alot of work to be able to shoot like that. 
The scope was the easy partBig Grin every thing has to right

Just make sure you set your scope up the right way and it will work just fine.

matt

Dallas View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dallas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 02:42

The best varmint scope that SWFA sells for $300 is the Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14X40. It has side parallax adjustment, a choice of BDC or Nikoplex (Duplex) reticle, virtually distortion-free lenses, 92% light transmission, and a lifetime warranty. Since retirement, I sell guns and scopes for a living on a part-time basis at a store that will remain unnamed. I will say, however, that we have a shooting range available to the employees at no charge. Accordingly, we are constantly playing with the available toys.

You'll hear recommendations from folks who have purchased a particular scope and now suggest that you purchase the same. It happens every day at the gun counter as the novice approaches us with his "expert" friend in tow. Of course, the expert always recommends what he happens to have purchased. It's only natural. He's sincere and means well, but he has no actual experience with 99% of the available scopes.

You'll also receive recommendations that you should spend some more money on an upgrade. With its marvelously contoured and distortion-free lenses, wide power range, 92% transmission, and lifetime warranty, there is no varmint style scope for less than a $1000 that offers any SIGNIFICANT PRACTICAL advantage over this Nikon. The $300 price point is excellent. Of the scopes that fit the criteria (such as it's been provided), the Buckmasters 4.5-14X40 is the pick of the litter.

Evil prevails when good men do nothing.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 07:15
I have a Buckmaster SF w/ BDC it is a GOOD,QUALITY scope and serves well.
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic