OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

no bashing burris.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atvalaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no bashing burris.
    Posted: January/02/2009 at 23:09
Unless u shoot one /owned 1. I have been there and seen, the "08" rating scale is  Not "from the field" periodx2.
tls
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 23:24
I think you should read through this forum a little bit more deeply then maybe that will give you an understanding of how it is comprised?....the scale is put together by some pretty knowledgeable people ....I too own Burris scopes and they are pretty good!

Edited by rifle looney - January/02/2009 at 23:40
Mustang-PaPa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang-PaPa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 02:39
Burris=over priced
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 02:53
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa Mustang-PaPa wrote:

Burris is overpriced

NO NO thats Leupold.
Big Grin

I own one burris scope a 1x scout scope however I have bought two others in the last 5 yrs and been VERY UNHAPPY with them.  The 3-12 pistol scope and the short mag 3-9 which appears to be renamed the timberline. There are some good products in the Burris line but after the problems I had with their customer service I dont want one.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Mustang-PaPa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang-PaPa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 03:02
No  No Leupold is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overpriced............:-)
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 06:36
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 06:38
I had a fullfieldII, key word had
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 06:42
Originally posted by atvalaska atvalaska wrote:

Unless u shoot one /owned 1. I have been there and seen, the "08" rating scale is  Not "from the field" periodx2.

So I assume to know this, you have personally field tested all of the scopes in the rating scale??? This scale was put together by people who's optical knowledge far outweighs my own. Do I agree with every spot that every scope is at? No, but I do appreciate having a guide to go by. Thanks to Chris, Koshkin, and everyone else who worked to put it together.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 08:03

Which Burris do you think is under-ranked?  And where would you rank them?  And why....

hossdaniels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hossdaniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 08:06
I still have a burris FFII, but I'm not all that impressed with it.  Not all that bad for a $200 scope though.  Not up to par with my nikon monarch(not that it should be for $200)
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 09:19
I've been to the Burris plant in Greeley Colorado.  Burris makes an extremely durable scope with relatively thick tube walls.  The build strength is what they do well.  What they don't do well is optical quality compared to other similarly priced scopes IMO.  Just one mans observation who's owned more than a few off the rating scale.  The one exception being the Black Diamond who has pretty good optics for the money IMO.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 09:25
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Originally posted by atvalaska atvalaska wrote:

So I assume to know this, you have personally field tested all of the scopes in the rating scale??? This scale was put together by people who's optical knowledge far outweighs my own. Do I agree with every spot that every scope is at? No, but I do appreciate having a guide to go by. Thanks to Chris, Koshkin, and everyone else who worked to put it together.

+1

Atavalaska, welcome to the OT. For your first post, I'm not sure why your so defensive for Burris? I don't recall anyone bashing the product.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 09:53
I think Burris makes a pretty good product at a fair price, though I truely hate how the power ring/eye piece turn together on the Fullfield II.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
atvalaska View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atvalaska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 10:54
Well now that i upset the pot.....(all in good taste i hope :) ...i just cant see the word burris any wheres near the word tasco! . Back in the old redfeild days,  tasco was a toilet paper tube with glass...... just running on my obersevations  over time  IMO a ff2 of today beats what we all were hunting with 35 years ago and i still have a few of the old scopes just to see how far we have come...ps leupold IS overpriced..but than again there is atleast one in every huntin camp ...beers to all.
tls
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 11:24

I agree,  we all are spoiled with great optics choices we have today.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 17:24
Thats about the only thing I-DON'T like about the 4.5-14 FFII on my sons 17 HMR.  Otherwise, it fits the bill.

Jim
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 18:15
Burris has a wide variance in there line of scopes. The 3-9 FF-II and the short mag line does not have the greatest optics. The 4.5-14 FFII is pretty good optics. Since more of the 3-9 FFII have been sold it gives the Burris line a bad rep. The why and what problems of the Burris CS bad rep has never been discussed. I have had a lot better resopnce and better repairs with Burris than I have had with Zeiss. Sometime people buy the cheapest that a company makes and expects the best. Even the Die hard Leupold fans agree that a VX-I wll not compare with a VX V. Most of the people that bought the Burris FF-II also got a spotting scope, Binoculars or a GPS also. This reduces the $200 scope to a $125 scope. Go figure.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 19:13
I am a Burris fan.  Most of the guys here could tell you that.

I have one of the old FF IIs and it seems to have better glass than the combo packages.  I also have a Black Diamond, and the new XTR with the stormcoat.  Neither will compare with a Khales.  They are a bit spendy, but for guiding, I am looking for a very rugged scope that can handle abuse.  I have never had a problem with the Burris scopes, even the one that the horse rolled on.  That being said, they are probably overpriced.  I have never had a problem with the CS department.  They have alway been very helpful and imformative when I have talked to them.  They were also very fast when I had target knobs put on my Black Diamond.

Most people will complain about the price and the CS department with Burris.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 19:20
It was said here a while back that the Burris scopes in the combo package are not the same as the FF II you buy on it's owns.  Any truth to that?
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 19:52
I only had one..........a regular fullfield and it will be my last Burris ! I don't really care what the other models are like !!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic