OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sniper Scope selection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddylee432 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sniper Scope selection
    Posted: January/02/2009 at 20:31
Ok, I am new to the SWAT Sniper team and dont know a whole bunch about sniper scopes. My department is buying us new scopes for our rifles and they advised us to research and find a scope that we want. I currently have the Leupold 4-14X scope but it doesnt have mil-dots or lighted reticles. I am looking for a 4-16X scope which has 1/4 moa adjustments, lighted reticles, and mil dots. I dont care about the price. It is going on a remington 700 sniper rifle. I need some ideas of what scope would be best if someone could help me out. We shoot from 50 yds up to 600YDS. Thanks for your time...
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 20:37
"Don't care about price"......
     Boy, I wish I was you, hahaha!
Well, you might look into some of the top tier scopes, such as, Schmidt and Bender,US Optics,Nightforce, Leupold Mark 4.They'll be available in almost any reticle and magnification range you'd need.For your purposes I'd say 4.4-14 or 5-20 range would probably fall about right.Some others on this board may be able to recommend a specific scope possibly, good luck!
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
sorry, couldn't hear your shot
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 20:49
Odessa Texas by any chance?
If so, drive up to Lubbock and look at the Sheriff Dept gear. That team is 1st class all the way. 
Your department WILL care about price.  All the Homeland Security funds are dried up.

edit; bit my tougue on the last comment I was gonna make.  We'll see where this goes.

Edited by Mike McDonald - January/02/2009 at 20:52
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 20:55
Don't care about price well then look at the premiere scopes? that will knock ya fer a loop!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 20:59
If price is not object, break out the checkbook, it's gonna get expensive.

You want the best OR the best $1,000 will buy?  As LE, Leupold gives a good discount and the scope is good - but not great.  If your budget is indeed limtless, look to US Optics, S&B, or Nightforce (I cannot yet recommend Premier for a duty gun, too new.)

Good luck, and remember that tracers work both ways.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 21:14
Don't care about price, your lucky I'm not a tax payer in your county.  I'm sure you want the best product for your tax payer dollars, I don't have a problem with that.  I also realize that these scopes will be protecting you and the people who will provide them.  With that said I'd look at Leupold, & Nightforce they offer alot of different options while still being reasonable in price.

Edited by lucytuma - January/02/2009 at 21:14
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 21:36
man, go up to the Badlands(grandfield,ok) and speak w Sherrif Whittington. ive attended one of his LR CLEET approved rifle classes, and the information and training recieved was top notch. theres some fine LE and professional shooters out there, who have done what u will be doing, and im sure they would give u some good info, and mebbe even let u see, touch and possibly shoot some of the scopes u might be considering.

you have a great resource 6hrs from your location

optik View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote optik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 10:49
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Don't care about price, your lucky I'm not a tax payer in your county.  I'm sure you want the best product for your tax payer dollars, I don't have a problem with that.  I also realize that these scopes will be protecting you and the people who will provide them.  With that said I'd look at Leupold, & Nightforce they offer alot of different options while still being reasonable in price.

In fighting, milliseconds make the difference between life and death. Money should be no object to make sure that our boys get the best equipment available. Above quote spoken like a true bureaucrat. Life or death situations tend to put things into perspective.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 10:54
optik...... I think you should reread lucytuma' reply? and not between the lines.

Edited by rifle looney - January/03/2009 at 10:55
optik View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote optik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 11:01
Rifle, you are probably right.

LE Snipers, in the past, have been required to make shots that are extremely precise... Especially in hostage situations. If someone was shooting over my wifes shoulder at a bad guy, I would want him to have the best scope, not the best scope for the money.

We spend, as a country, too many "taxpayer" dollars on rediculous things to be worried about whether our police snipers priceshop for the most "bang for your buck" optics.

Buddylee, buy the best scope you can find regardless of price and be proud to do it!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 12:02
I'm just curious, but whats the average distance a SWAT shooter has to make a shot on a perp?

Seems like I read where the average shot was around 100 yards or less.
buddylee432 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddylee432 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 13:36
The average urban environment shot is 52 yards...However, Our state qual course requires shots at 300. As for all of the comment of " I dont care about the cost" I really dont. A sniper has one shot and one shot only. He or she is the one that has to be responsible for that shot. I want to make sure that when or if I have to take the shot I am sure of my target and know I will make the hit. If you have had to take this kind of shot before then you know what it is like. I just really wanted to know what the most practicle scope would be for my position. Just to get some ideas. Wehn you have a 25 MPH full value wind and you are at 300YDS the scope does make a difference...
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 13:59
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 14:00
Now go see if your department doesn't care about cost?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 14:37
If cost is no object, then the choice should probably between the S&B, Steelbenz linked above and this Zeiss:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-8504-310-zeiss-3-12x56-victory-diavari-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

ILya
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 16:15
slippin a shot past the wife at those ranges could be done with a 30-30, slippin a new gun past -- now thats a challenge, then on the other hand maybe you don't want them to miss.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 21:44
Well I'm beginning to get sniffles here.
Don't know much about scopes and thinking of a shot at 300 yards in a full value 25mph wind...........................awwwww what would I know anyway...................
optik View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote optik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 23:34
LOL I suppose there was an element of drama to my previous post... Oh well.

The point is still effectively illustrated. The suituations faced are real and serious and I hate to hear people whine about "taxpayer dollars" when it comes to getting the right equipment for the job.

Thanks for the ribbing.. It keeps me honest.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 23:40
Originally posted by Mike McDonald Mike McDonald wrote:

Well I'm beginning to get sniffles here.
Don't know much about scopes and thinking of a shot at 300 yards in a full value 25mph wind...........................awwwww what would I know anyway...................

Roll on Floor Laughing

Ya Mike, what the heck do you know!!!!     LOL
Just tell me what matches your shooting in so I don't have to show up and waste ammo.

LOL
dsrrising View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsrrising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 00:44
Hi i found a nice scope u might like                                                                                   (ATN, 1st Generation Night Vision Scope, Paladin MK390 4)

What an excellent 1st Generation Night Vision Scope. The Paladin MK390 from ATN is one of a kind. ATN improved their configurations, in turn lowering the F-stop factor, allowing more light to travel through the lense and increased resolution. Another improvement is the industry leading 450mw infrared illuminator, allowing for even more ridiculously excellent night vision. In addition, the red on green reticle aiming system allows for extreme precision

• 4x Magnification
  • 90mm Objective Lense
  • 630 feet at 1000 yards field of view
  • Illuminated red on green reticle
  • 10-20 hour battery life
  • 1/8 M.O.A. windage and elevation adjustment
  • 450mw infrared illuminator
  • 1st Generation
  • Manufacturer Number NVWSM39010
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic