OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

WHICH ONE IS BEST?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hkv0501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHICH ONE IS BEST?
    Posted: January/02/2009 at 14:16

Trying to decide on a new scope for my A-bolt 30-06. It will be used primarly as a deer hunting scope - going to Sasketchewan Canada in November. I was looking to spend somewhere around $600-700 but would consider a more expensive scope if the extra money really justified the increase in performance. Things that most interest me in terms of scopes are generally durability and low light performance. I was considering a Ziess conquest 3-9x50 because I like what reviews I have read about them. But would possibly even consider a Swaro AV 4-12x50 if the increase in performance justified the extra cash. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 14:19
either one is an excellent choice
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 14:45
Meopta offers some nice scopes in this price range, though they require 30mm rings. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
hkv0501 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hkv0501 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 09:32
I kinda like the Kahles CL 3-10x50 as well. Whats the latest news on Kahles? Which of these scopes is best in low light? Or is it pretty close to tell?
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 14:06
I'd buy a Kahles CL 3-10x50 4a off the samplelist...........next would be the Conquest you mentioned IMO!!
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 15:48
On a light petite rifle like an A-bolt I would never run a 50mm scope.  For a hunting rifle I consider extra size of a scope a negative.  On those low of magnification scopes the added light gathering wouldn't be very necessary or noticeable.  40 or 44 mm Zeiss conquest would work well.
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 17:25
I think you would like a Zeiss Comquest 3.5-10x44 or may be a 4.5-14 by 44.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 17:33
Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

I think you would like a Zeiss Comquest 3.5-10x44 or may be a 4.5-14 by 44.

30.06 = 3.5-10x44
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 09:01
I have had them all in that price range. Kahles,Kahles,Kahles,CL,CL,CL.

Good luck,
abailey54
abailey54
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 17:44
I would buy the Sightron S2 Big Sky 3-9x42.The best bang for the buck. I have the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 but feel the Sightron Big Sky would be a better scope for your hunting needs.
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 08:00
Low light performance for less than $1,000.00 = Kahles

I have a 4-12X52 CL w/ a 4A recticle.  I have been sitting in my stand after legal hours to check how well the scope performs in low light.  The only time that I could not see anything was when it was pitch black during a new moon.  With just a little moon light, I can see rabbits or raccoons at 100 yards with no problem.  This scope is definitely a keeper.  The people on this site that recommended it were dead on.Excellent   
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 09:58
ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS???!!!!   ( my dad once bought a dairy farm for $9500!!! )

I seem to have trouble relating here...........Bucky

Anyway................
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 11:21
Originally posted by hkv0501 hkv0501 wrote:

Trying to decide on a new scope for my A-bolt 30-06. It will be used primarly as a deer hunting scope - going to Sasketchewan Canada in November. ... I was considering a Ziess conquest 3-9x50 because I like what reviews I have read about them. But would possibly even consider a Swaro AV 4-12x50 if the increase in performance justified the extra cash. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have some experience hunting in Saskatchewan. I have used a 3.5-10x,44 Conquest and a 1.5-6x,42 Kahles C. I use the Conquest more often than the Kales, but only because of the rifle it is on.

Kahles scopes, as the OT members told you, have better glass than the Conquests. Even so, I have taken deer in low light with both scopes. Either will work for shooting.

The most important optic for making decisions about whether or not you will want to shoot a given deer during low light conditions will be your binoculars.

Tom

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 11:45
I own Conquest (my go-to 300WM wears the 4.5-14x44 and I really like it.)  My smaller go-to gun (Tikka T3 Lite in .270) wears as Swaro 3-10 AH.  Of the 2, I much prefer the Swaro.  It is almost 2X the price, and I am happy to pay it - the image is fantastic, low-light performance (at lower power settings, of course) is very good, and the reticule (ballistic) is one of the best in the business.

The Conquest is a fine scope (I too would not recommend going higher than about 10X) but the Swaro is, in my opinion, worth the extra money.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - January/05/2009 at 13:23
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 13:02
Ed,

Having problems relating ...... you mean like  Yikes
or is it more like  Shocked
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 15:56
Oh come on now, Ed. A grand is the least you owe to any deer. Just imagine that poor buck and his last thoughts are, "I can't believe I was shot with a Tasco and look at that crappy, plastic stock."
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 16:01

Thinking
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic