OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch or Buckmaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch or Buckmaster
    Posted: January/02/2009 at 09:42
I am trying to read on the difference between the Nikon Monarch and the Buckmaster scopes.
I know the obvious differences like powers, but not sure if one is really better then the other.
Monarch considered is the 2-8X32.
Buckmaster considered is the 3-9X40.
I have had the Buckmaster before, old and new models and liked it for my use. Shots never more then 150 yards in field, and maybe about 50 to 70 in cover.
Can anyone fill me in on these two from past experience?
Frank

Do it because you want to, not because you think you have to!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 09:51
Frank, the Monarch is the better scope period, but if your happy with your previous Buckmasters scopes, I see no reason to change. The Buckmasters is still a nice little scope.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 10:03
I had no problems with my Buckmaster. I was wondering with the price differences if it was worth it. After posting a couple times on here, I had decided on settling on the Nikon. I just happen to start reading again and the Buckmaster came into view on their web page and the question came to mind if I should stay with the 2-8X32, or go back to the Buckmaster in 3-9X40. This .308 rifle will not be used all that much. I have the 7MM-08 with the Zeiss Conquest for my "to go" rifle for now. I am trying to wean myself off from the .308 as it is my favorite caliber for whitetails.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 10:09
No need to wean yourself off the 308.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 10:16
Let's put it this way, I am now 57 and looking for a change somewhere. I am happy with my wife, so that means a new rifle and scope. got the new rifle, need the scope! Big Smile
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 10:19
Ya, you can only have one wife, but that leaves plenty room for multiple rifles.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 10:20
the monarch is close to your conquest in optical quality but not quite a match, its heads above the buckmaster. i have a buckmaster and two monarchs right now in service, and the monarch makes the bukcmaster look silly!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 10:45
Originally posted by frankb frankb wrote:

I am trying to read on the difference between the Nikon Monarch and the Buckmaster scopes.
I know the obvious differences like powers, but not sure if one is really better then the other.
Monarch considered is the 2-8X32.
Buckmaster considered is the 3-9X40.
I have had the Buckmaster before, old and new models and liked it for my use. Shots never more then 150 yards in field, and maybe about 50 to 70 in cover.
Can anyone fill me in on these two from past experience?
Frank

.....Still debating ay Frank??..........Laugh..........The Monarch is a better scope! I sincerely believe that the 2-8x32 Monarch for the money is a very good scope and would serve you as well as the 2.5-8x32 Conquest.

I don`t believe for a second, that the difference between success or failure on a hunt, could hinge between having the Conquest vs a Monarch. In fact, that would be determined totally by you and not by either scope. 

You already have the 3-9x40 Conquest but want something different. OK then! The 2-8x32 Monarch would certainly fill that bill.
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 11:48
Done deal. I wanted the Monarch any way.
The reason for this post was really to find out how much of a difference there is between the Buckmaster and Monarch.
The only reason I have not yet bought the Monarch is I am still waiting for SWFA to get back to me on a trade for a scope I am getting rid of.
I have it in my local paper and it will be listed tomorrow. The paper is only two days a week, Saturday and Wednesday.
If SWFA is willing to trade, I can pull my ad and be done with it all.
A lot of good advise and people on this forum. I really do appreciate all the help and advise. Sometimes whwn you are stuck on the fence, it only takes a little push to get you over to one side or the other!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 11:50
the monarch is a good scope and you probably wont notice much difference between it and your conquest until its darker.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 13:39
The way that my eyes are any more, I would need a total blackout to notice the difference when it starts getting dark!
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 17:54
The glass on the Monarch is slightly better than a VX3 and the glass on the Buckmaster is equal to a VX2.Buy the Nikon Primos same as a Monarch.  
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 18:07
same as old monarch!
frankb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frankb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 19:11
Originally posted by hunter12345 hunter12345 wrote:

The glass on the Monarch is slightly better than a VX3 and the glass on the Buckmaster is equal to a VX2.Buy the Nikon Primos same as a Monarch.  
How can the glass be the same between Monarch and Primo when the Monarch cost is much higher then the Primo?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic