OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rangefinder Bino

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rangefinder Bino
    Posted: January/01/2009 at 17:07
YippeeI am looking to purchase new binos for hunting here in Colorado and am considering a set that has range finding capabilities. My hope is to not have to carry both binos and a separate range finder. My budget is up to $500. I wear eye glasses if this makes any diff. I will be using whatever I purchase for up to 500 yards or so in both timber and open terrain.
Thanks
Mark
Have a great day ...unless you have something else planned
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 17:28

My suggestion would be to get a nice set of $500.00 binos and than a seperate range finder.  I know this isn't what you wanted, but the optics in the inexpensive bino/finder leaves alot to be desired. 

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 17:40
+1 I bit the bullet, and spent loads of money on a rangefinding bino, but wouldn't attempt it at the $500 level.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
carbuyersfriend View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 19:07
Trigger,
So what would you reccomend if I was going to "bite the bullet" and go for good rangerfinder ?
Thanks
Mark
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 19:23
Originally posted by carbuyersfriend carbuyersfriend wrote:

Trigger,
So what would you reccomend if I was going to "bite the bullet" and go for good rangerfinder ?
Thanks
Mark

I went with a Leica Geovid 10x42. They make them in 8x42, 8x56, and 15x56. I would stick with 8,or 10x if you are interested. I'm afraid you'll have to get your checkbook out.....and maybe your credit card. I had to look at it as a lifetime investment. I was going to buy Zeiss conquest bino's and a leica laser. I figured it would be worth it to have them all in one. I don't regret it. Wife wasn't impressed though.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 19:28
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Trigger,
Thanks
Mark

I went with a Leica Geovid 10x42. They make them in 8x42, 8x56, and 15x56. I would stick with 8,or 10x if you are interested. I'm afraid you'll have to get your checkbook out.....and maybe your credit card. I had to look at it as a lifetime investment. I was going to buy Zeiss conquest bino's and a leica laser. I figured it would be worth it to have them all in one. I don't regret it. Wife wasn't impressed though.

If going for just a rangefinder, I'd look at these

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 20:18
OK.....I figure that by the time I buy a good set of binocs and a range finder I'll have $1000
to $1400 invested. There are two NIB sets of Leica 10x42 for sale. They are asking $2000 with all papers. What do you think about the price ?
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 03:35

OK.....I figure that by the time I buy a good set of binocs and a range finder I'll have $1000
to $1400 invested. There are two NIB sets of Leica 10x42 for sale. They are asking $2000 with all papers. What do you think about the price ?

Ha Ha. This is exactly what I did. That is actually not bad for Geovids. They generally sell for $2200-$2400. I very strongly urge you to spend some time looking through them, and playing with them before buying, or buy from someone like swfa.com. I'm not going to say that I think I led you astray, but I want you to be sure you like what you are buying before you are stuck with them. I don't know about you, but I don't throw $2000 around too lightly. I was lucky and bought a used pair for $1400. I assure you they are great bino's, and the rangefinder works as good as any, and better than most, but they are heavy. I spent four days walking in the mountains with them around my neck. It gets old, but to me beats carrying bino's and a LRF. Good luck sir.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 09:51

I'm going to have to play Devil's Advocate here and suggest to you that the integrated rangefinder/binocular units (regardless of manufacturer/model) are not very good ideas, for a few reasons:

1. The warranties on these combo units simply suck.  The Leica Geovid for example, only offers a 5-year warranty.  Buying used, even if the company allows the warranty to transfer, will only mean that your warranty period will be even shorter. That makes it a far-less-than-lifetime investment.  Non-warranty repair on the rangefinder will be expensive.

2.  Rangefinder technology has been making some pretty good advances lately.  Just look at the proliferation of models offering "True Ballistic Range" abilities.  To the best of my knowledge, none of the integrated models offer these advances and even if they eventually do, you'll lose a huge chunk of change if you try to exchange and upgrade.  (Another blow to the "lifetime investment" idea.) 

3. This is a minor issue but, if your rangefinder is built in to your binocular, then you are pretty much stuck with either using exclusively that binocular or not having the rangefinder (or buying a seperate rangefinder - which would be a collosal waste of money and defeat the whole purpose of having an integrated unit in the first place).  Personally, I find that there are times when I don't need/want to carry a full sized binocular but, I would still like to know the distance between me and whatever item of interest I have in front of me.

4.  My kids love carrying the rangefinder around, while we're out hunting antelope, for example.  It's easy to use and they feel more like part of the hunting process if they get to tell me how far out the target is.   I doubt you could/would do that with an integrated unit.

Edited by lucznik - January/02/2009 at 23:19
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 10:50
How about a good laser ranging rifle scope in conjunction with binoculars. Bushnell and Burris make some of the more cost effective quality units.
It is a viable alternative for some.
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 13:02
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

How about a good laser ranging rifle scope in conjunction with binoculars. Bushnell and Burris make some of the more cost effective quality units.
It is a viable alternative for some.

This concept is even more peculiar to me than the binocular/rangefinder combos. 

In essense, you either end up with three, basically poor choices:

1.  Buy a similar rangefinder/riflescope for every rifle you own.  (Can you say $$$$$$$?)

2. Only own/use one rifle for all of your shooting.

3. Switch the scope and re-sight each rifle on a use-by-use basis.

Regardless of choice, you still need to buy a seperate, hand-held rangefinder for use when you don't have your rifle with you (archery, handgunning, etc.)
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 18:12
I would buy separately, a $300 rangefinder (Bushnell) and a $200 binocular (a good 8x40 porro prism).

Or, and this is my personal way of buying things, just get a good $500 binocular (Hawke Frientier ED 8x43), and wait and save for a good rangefinder (Nikon, or Leica) later.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 22:07
OK...really good input!!! I never realized that the rangefinder technology was changing as rapidly as it is and will. I picked up an set of year or so old Leica range finder binos and they were huge !!! So ....I am going to wait until later this year to see what comes out. Unless I can find some for dirt cheap. I will probably go back to my original looking and go with some Leica 8 or 10X42's and a separeate inexpensive range finder. Great point about involving the kids. thank you Lucznik,Anweis and Thaqua. I'll be shopping for a really good set of 8x42 binos and a rangefinder and wait for a combo. I plan to involve my grandson in hunting so the rangefinder will be a great way for him to feel involved. This is a super web site and I am convinced that SWFA is the way to go for support and with their 110% price matching there is really no reason to buy anywhere else.
Thanks to All
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 15:58
 OK..I spent over an hour over at Bass Pro Shops this morning trying out alot of different binos and rangefinders. I found that 10X anything binos were difficult for me to hold still. Maybe my age or eyes or both I don't know. I also found for me that a separate set of binos and range finder begin to make more sense. First I really hadn't thought about involving  my grandkids until  Lucznik pointed out how his kids enjoyed carrying the range finder when they are together. Great way to involve the grandkids and the girlfriend.
 The binos I settled on are the Steiner Merlin in 8x42. I like how they fit my hand and they work well with my glasses. The rangefinder I selected is the Leica Rangemaster 1200. I tried several and the Leica worked the best for me and is still small enough to tuck in a coat pocket or small outer pocket on a pack. Oh ! and second I can buy both of these for less than half of a set of range finder binos. That became more important to me as I cruised the isles at Bass Pro realizing I needed to update a bunch of other gear before my elk hunt later this month. So....thats where I am right now. Unless of course someone of you can suggest some additional options. And I'am always open to more input. I'll be on the phone to the folks at SWFA first thing Monday morning !!!
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 17:02
I haven't looked through the Steiners, but pretty hard to go wrong with the Rangemaster 1200.

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 18:00
I've looked at Steiner's before and from the Merlin up, they are fine.  Actually, if I decided to spend big money and buy an alpha class binocular, I'd have a hard time not buying a Peregrine XP.  Personally, I like the ergonomics of the Steiners.  Use it and enjoy it. Smile
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 09:10
I agree about the ergonomics> I picked up alot of binos yesterday and the Steiners just "felt" better in my hands. I was able to immediately pick thm up and get a focus far faster than any others and without really concentrating on the process. Just like a good feel in a handgun.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 16:06
Another option is the Swarovski rangefinder, which @ 8X, great glass and a decent exit pupil gives you moderate mono glassing. You may or may not feel the need to supplement w/binos.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 16:15
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Another option is the Swarovski rangefinder, which @ 8X, great glass and a decent exit pupil gives you moderate mono glassing. You may or may not feel the need to supplement w/binos.

Good point there.  The Leica's are not bad to use by themselves as a monocular either. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 18:51
Zeiss Victory 8x26 Rangefinder Just something for your reading enjoyment.

Edited by Bird Watcher - January/05/2009 at 18:52
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic