OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nikon Monarch reticles?  Which one for long range?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch reticles? Which one for long range?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boom Stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch reticles? Which one for long range?
    Posted: January/01/2009 at 14:51
I plan on purchasing a nikon monarch either in the 4-16x50 or the 4-16x42 configuration and I was wondering which reticle people would reccomend for hunting medium sized game (deer) at ranges up to 600yds max.  I've heard mixed reviews about the BDC reticle, and I haven't heard much about nikon's mildot or the nikoplex so thats why I'm asking all of you.  This scope would be used in low light situations and would be mounted atop a 7mm rem mag.  Anybody have any advice on the three aforementioned reticles?
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 15:02
I have been playing with the Team Primos 3-9x40 model since mid summer, and my shots are usually out to 400 yards, but I pushed it out to 600 once. This was a practice shot, and not on deer. I shot a 10" steel gong, and it was ok. My gong has a scale type coating on it that is brown though, and it kind of blended in with the dead brown grass. A little more magnification would have helped, but I made the shot just the same. I think it will be personnal preference as far as reticle choice. The bdc will work for you if you don't mind bdc's. If you think they are too "busy" Then I would stay away. By the way the marks in the Primos worked out just about perfect 100 yd increments with a .270 wsm. Your 7 mag should have very similar ballistics. I don't know how they will line up in the 4-16 configuration though.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 15:02
Personally I don't like the large objectives, you need to use taller rings and it really is not going to give you that much performance anyway. reticle is a personal choice lots of people here like the BDC I like plain old duplex.and I hope you are not only hunting at dusk and dawn cuz if so you are missing a lot of good hunting time ?
Boom Stick View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boom Stick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 14:50
Nobody else have experience with all three (or at least two) of the reticles?

I was especially curious whether the mil dot or the bdc would be a better choice.  I'm not sure nikoplex would offer anything over the other two, but I could be wrong.
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 15:21
I like the mil-dot but that is probably because I have a lot more experience with it target shooting and hunting. I have only used the BDC on borrowed scopes at the range.

Duce  Smile
Duce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic