OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

$200 Rifle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $200 Rifle Scope
    Posted: January/01/2009 at 09:24
Hello, New to Forum.

I'm looking for a 3x9 Rifle Scope for my sporterized Kimber .308. I hunt in the hills of PA but also have taken trips out west for some long distance boar hunt. So looking for an all around scope. I currently had the Nikon Prostaff BDC and did not like it at all. See screws in the scope, light was not good and did not like BDC at all. Sent it back to Cabelas for a refunds. Before that I had a Bushnell Banner and that was ok but wanted a change. I do have the high rings on the gun so those will stay intact. I'm assuming a 50mm will fit but is there really a need over the 40mm"ish"?

There are so many scopes in this price range that is making my decision difficult.

I have ruled some out that do not have a one piece tube or "clicks" for the adjustments.

As for glass, I will admit i'm not up to speed on what's good or bad these days, thus the request for what direction I need to head.

Thanks in advance
Tony
hossdaniels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hossdaniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 09:46
I'm curious what you didn't like about the bdc?  i'm thinking about getting one of the nikon team primos bdc to replace my burris FFII ballistic plex on my ML.

The primos nikon was going to be my reccomendation from the title too, but maybe not for you. 

$200 gets you sightron sII, bushnell 3200, nikon buckmaster, burris FFII, vxI leupold, all of them are OK for the money.  probably close to that order.

loc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 09:51
Too much clutter in the sight picture for me. (kinda like an archery guy with ONE sight pin)Also the .308 Ballistics did not match up with the BDC very well.

The Vx i is a two piece tube with no "clicks" correct? I was thinking maybe a one piece tube with clicks would hold up better over the long run.
littlevineyard1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlevineyard1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 09:57
There are many fine scopes at your price range that will give you good service for many years and most come with some sort of lifetime warranty.A good place to start is your local gunshops and look through as many as interest you and fit your condition. Personally I have been satified with the current Weaver 3x9x40 but I would check out the Burris Fullfield 2 and the Nikon Buckmaster.I have friends who have these scopes and they also are quite satified with their performance. Though I have never owned one, Sightron seems to be held in good standing as is the Leupold vx-1. As you see we are blessed these days with very good optic choices at this price range but nothing beats going to a shop and taking a good look and making comparasion. Good luck
littlevineyard1
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 10:02
:You may want to look at the SWFA sample list  quite a number of good scopes in the price range.

Duce   Smile
Duce
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hossdaniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 10:04
VxI is not a one piece, actually the only one that I'm sure is one piece is burris, and it has clicks.  Maybe someone else could help with that?

I like my burris FFII, and the ballistic recticle, but the low light use could use a little help.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 10:24
http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx
If you can afford another $90.00 the bushnell 3-9x40 4200 is excellent,  great in low light, standard plex and rain guard.  I also am not a fan of range finding reticles, to busy for me.  Look at the reviews of this scope, while its alittle over your budget I think its a great scope.

Edited by lucytuma - January/01/2009 at 10:27
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
loc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 11:42

Been reading alot on the Sightron Sii.......can someone shed some light on this unit?

The Burris I have been reading mixed feeling.....

The VX-1 is out of the running.....and the VX-II if out of my price range...so Leupold is out..

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hossdaniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 11:56
I'm looking at a SII big sky, which is from what I can tell, is similar to a vxIII, 4200, monarch, a few people claim its good as a conquest .

The standard SII sounds comprable to a vxII or a 3200. 

All crap I've been reading though, yet to purchase either of them.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 12:05
From about a $200 price point the best choices are;

Bushnell Elite 3200
Sightron S2
Nikon Buckmaster
Burris FF2

I don`t think that at the price range of $200, you`re going to do better than either the Sightron or the 3200.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 14:44
how about a vortex?? i messed with one of these for 2 weeks, (thanks to swfa) and it was a nice scope for less than $200 i was pretty impressed

http://www.swfa.com/pc-12322-2122-vortex-3-9x40-diamondback-rifle-scope.aspx

Edited by pyro6999 - January/01/2009 at 14:46
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
loc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 15:55

Big Squeeze.

So you are saying in that order "best for the buck"?

I have some gift cards and points that will allow me to buy the 3200 for $140 via Cabelas.

or

I can get the Sightron S2 from swfa at $220(including shipping)

I like the idea of the S2 being a 42mm and heard good things about it, but I like the idea of the rainguard on the 3200 and it would be $80 cheaper for me.

But I like to be the "odd ball" and everyone has a Bushnell Wink and the S2 would be a bit more uniqueYippee.

mmmmm what to do....I want to get this purchased by tomorrow....
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 16:19
I'd go the with the S2, I don't think the 3200 is going to be much better than the Prostaff, other than not having the BDC.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 16:20
Not to get off track, but this sporterized Kimber, would this be the model 96 Mauser/Sweden
if so the best thing you can do to it if you have not already is to have a Timney trigger installed .and get rid of that two stage one it came with ..... you will be so happy you did this? 
loc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 20:24

Ok Guys, now you have me looking at  the Primos.....so now what.

S2 3-9-42=$200

Primos 3-9-40=$200

Elite 3200  3-9-40=$140(with some christmas Cabelas Cash)

I think i'm still leaning to S2------comments?
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 20:28
I really like the Primos...they had some on the sample list for like $180, dunno if they have any left.
loc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 20:35
yeah they still have them at that price.....i looked at so many scopes today that i got confused.....i do not want the bdc and the primos has that.....ok i think i know what way i want to do now.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 22:50
I currrently have a line on a new Elite 4200 2.5-10X40mm in Matte model 422104M for under $300.00 NIB Shipped.  Interested???
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 01:22
Either Sightron S2 3-9x42 or Nikon Team Primos 3-9x40 is the way to go for $200.  Personally, I am partial to the Sightron, but either is fine.

ILya
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 10:08
Thanks for the reply on my PM on the rifle combo.

Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic