OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

long action scope mounting ?'s

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hossdaniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long action scope mounting ?'s
    Posted: January/01/2009 at 09:11
Hey, while I'm getting a new scope, I figured I might upgrade rings and bases.

The existing set-up is leupold standard steel rings and bases with extension front (yeah I know, dang 270's).

I'm not a big fan of standard rings and bases, I dont like the windage screws(loose on me twice).  The dove tail thingy doesn't seem that solid to me either, and I always wonder if I am mounting them right.

So I am thinking about upgrading to warne maxima bases and rings(weaver style), BUT can I do that on a long action?  I'm pretty sure the new scope isn't any longer than my old monarch that needed the extension front ring? 

Also, is my logic flawed about upgrading, or would I just be swapping and wasting money?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 09:51
If you are looking for absolute strength, the dual dovetail set-up's are the strongest. The only possible issue you could have with them is if your receiver is drilled out of alignment. Without knowing what rifle they are going on I cannot say whether or not the action will be to long for your current scope choice.

Edited by Roy Finn - January/01/2009 at 09:51
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 10:05
You could always check out the Conetrol line. Not only do they look nice, they work! Depending upon the action, some of the bases can be reversed for short tubed scope mounting on long actions. They are a bit tricky to install and are kind of pricey though. You also may wish to check out Talley's. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
hossdaniels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hossdaniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 10:07
270 A-bolt, currently with a older Nikon Monarch, going to a Sightron SII Big Sky
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 10:16
With the dual dovetail or Talley LW set-up, you can reverse the front ring/base to amke the set-up shorter or longer. Big Sky will fit the A-Bolt without a problem
Mustang-PaPa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang-PaPa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 10:20
I did the Talley LW's on my Model 70/.270 and the option to reverse the front site help and worked out great on my set-up with the 4200.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 10:31
Wouldn't BS you guys on New Year's day............grin
Mustang-PaPa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang-PaPa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 16:42
It is an option on the Model 70's bolting pattern....and thats no BS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic