OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

IOR valdada 3-18x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrskrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IOR valdada 3-18x42
    Posted: January/01/2009 at 09:10
i have a remington 700 vs in a 223 cal. and one also in a 308 cal. ... and would like to mount a ior valdada 3-18x42 scope on each one ...... these scopes have very little eye relief , 3.5 inches if i'm correct ..... any advice ? will i have problems with either of these combos ? thank you .....
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 09:40
How much eye relief do you need on a .223? Or even the .308 for that matter?  3-1/2 inches is a reasonable amount of eye relief. In fact it is a very normal about of eye relief (scan the spec sheets).   It is a contest between eye relief and field of view to give one is to take the other. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mrskrip View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrskrip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 10:59
there is very little fore and aft adjustment in this set up and don't want to be wearing a long spectical in my right eye if you know what i mean ...that was my main consern......
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 12:20
I'd only worry about recoil on a magnum. I'm also a bit puzzled that you'd consider the 700 short action to not have much room for adjustment. It seems about on par with most actions. I'd suppose too that using a Picatinny rail would extend that flexibility.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 12:45
.223 No No  I think you have become over concerned due to marketing hype. By the time you mount a scope on it, your rifle will weight what, about 11 pounds? More if you add a bipod or sling...  If you had a .338 Luapa, then I might think you have a case.  If recoil is the issue then it is not there.

The honest to God sniper finds themselves in some in some strange shooting positions because of tactical concerns. This is due to the fact that people are trying to kill them. This may mean a less than ideal shooting position where they needs some extra eye relief due to some strange angle.  Your best bet in this case is to make sure that your stock fits you well and is not too long. That means more speed and comfort in the long run.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 14:33
I have to say it's amazing how stock fit can affect the way a rifle shoots. My new rifle feels like I was measured up, and had it made for me. I will shoot that over anything else in my safe.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 15:18
Originally posted by mrskrip mrskrip wrote:

..... any advice ? will i have problems with either of these combos ?

Yes, buy the scope.  You'll love it.  You will not have any recoil-related problems with anything approaching a good shooting form.

However, some use a shooting form that's sort of "reclined" with their heads way back near the buttpad (the opposite of a stock crawler like me).  If this is the case for you, you may not be able to get a view comfortably with standard mounts.  If that's the case, not to worry--EGW makes a Rem 700 base that is extended backward specifically to let you mount this scope back farther than a normal base will allow.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 15:30
What are the intended uses for these set ups , hunting or target?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic