OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which scope? 1 of 4,help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which scope? 1 of 4,help please
    Posted: December/31/2008 at 22:12
hello all and Happy New Years! trying to decide on a scope for an AR in 223 that I'm setting up, will be used out to a maximum of 500 yds. I'm trying to not exceed $500 and prefer a variable due to possible varmint use.I'm putting together a mini SASS type rifle.Scopes up for picks are.....Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 4.5-14x42, Bushnell 3200 tactical 5-15x40,Leupold Mark 2 4-12x40, and the new Burris Fullfield Tac 30 4.5-14x42.Ok, everyone tell me what you think, and thanks in advance.Oh, and Koshkin, I'd be honored to hear your advice!
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
sorry, couldn't hear your shot
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 22:20
5214359920 Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope                                                                                   Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
SWFA: $399.95
More Info... Buy Now
http://www.kentonindustries.com/

Zeiss Conquest, Classic, Diavari VM/V, & Victory Series
SPEED DIAL
-----------------------------
Bullet Drop Compensation
The Carl Zeiss Service facility will now offer a retrofit of select Diavari Victory Series riflescope to modify them from conventional windage and elevation adjustments to target or ballistically calibrated bullet drop compensator (BDC) knobs available through Zeiss or aftermarket.

Please contact our service department by email at (sportsoptics@zeiss.com) or by our toll free number, 1-800-441-3005 ext. 8461, if you have any questions or require additional information.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hdsofttailrider View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdsofttailrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 16:07
I've got the Bushnell 3200 tactical 5-15x40 and it's a great tube. Clear, precise and looks really good on my savage 12.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 17:14
I realize that this is just a tad over your 500 dollar mark. It would be a great scope for the rifle though.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2009 at 17:53
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

5214359920 Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope                                                                                   Zeiss 1.8-5.5x38 Conquest Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
SWFA: $399.95
More Info... Buy Now
http://www.kentonindustries.com/

Zeiss Conquest, Classic, Diavari VM/V, & Victory Series
SPEED DIAL
-----------------------------
Bullet Drop Compensation
The Carl Zeiss Service facility will now offer a retrofit of select Diavari Victory Series riflescope to modify them from conventional windage and elevation adjustments to target or ballistically calibrated bullet drop compensator (BDC) knobs available through Zeiss or aftermarket.

Please contact our service department by email at (sportsoptics@zeiss.com) or by our toll free number, 1-800-441-3005 ext. 8461, if you have any questions or require additional information.

Thanks a lot Wes, now I have to buy an AR.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2009 at 21:23
Gentlemen, he is referring to his rifle as a "Mini-SASS" that implies heavy barrel, bipod and fairly long range.  I do not think a low range variable is a good choice for that use.

Exhogflyer, quite frankly none of the scopes you listed would end up anywhere near the top of my list.

In the under $500 range there are quite a few nice scopes.

I just did a review on Vortex Viper 4-12x40 and it would probably be a good choice if you are not bothered by a little bit of tunnel vision (check out the Reviews section).

Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 or 4-16x42 (both are available with MilDot)

Sightron S2 Big Sky 4-16x42 or 4.5-14x44 with MilDot (just over your price limit)

Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 (no MilDot available unfortunately)

Another scope that is just over your price limit, but would make a very good choice is Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with either ZRF or Rapid Z 600 reticle.

ILya
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 02:09

Fairly long range for a .223 is the 500 to 600 yd range so a 5.5 top end should be close to  acceptable and the 1.8 not too over powered up close and personal.  

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/15/2009 at 20:36

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 02:16
Trigger if you dont already have one you are playing catch up at this point most stores have huge waiting lists. There is still stuff out there but you have to hunt it down. The prices have gone crazy. You cant find mags, lower parts kits etc.  But if you start now you can probably find what you are after but it will be an exercise of visiting numerous gun shops in person.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2009 at 03:09
Heavy bullet 223 can get to 600+ yards  fairly comfortably.  It may not be optimal, but it works.

Either way, in the original post it plainly says that he wants this setup to work for varmints in a pinch.  5.5x is not enough for that.  As for low end, I do not think he will be clearing a lot of buildings with a heavy barrel AR.  3-4x or so is low enough.

ILya
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 18:52
First off, I want to thank everyone for the suggestions on scopes. I am still deciding on a scope and may even raise the budget a bit if need be, as this will NOT be a project completed soon due to part availability( or lack thereof!).Yes, I am aware there are other calibers more suited in the AR chassis for longer range...two of which I am currently building, 6.5 Grendel and 308. I am staying with the .223 format as , like Koshkin noted, I would be using this rifle for varmints at times.I do appreciate the barrel suggestions, I will be using a Noveske 1 in 8 turn in order to be able to use a heavier bullet for long range with a higher BC.So, I still feel a mag of 4 or 5 on the low end and 14-16 on the high end would be about right.I'll keep checking for something suitable, and I DO appreciate all comments. Oh, and I'll post some pics when doneBig Smile
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 19:01
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Heavy bullet 223 can get to 600+ yards  fairly comfortably.  It may not be optimal, but it works.

That is very true.  At 800 yards a 75 grain .223 bullet that was shot at 2750 has as much energy as a .45 ACP at point blank range.  I don't know of a varmint that could survive that if he was hit well.  I shoot 55 grain bullets out to 600 all the time with a 4x scope and make pretty consistent hits or rocks and such.  Like Ilya said, its not the optimal weapon but it does the job just fine.

Edited by supertool73 - January/15/2009 at 19:06
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 20:40
UD416X50MD New Leatherwood 4-16x50 Uni-Dial Rifle Scope                                                                            New Leatherwood 4-16x50 Uni-Dial Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Top Angle Focus
SWFA: $384.95
More Info... Buy Now
This looks interesting - what do you guys think?

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
exhogflyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exhogflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 22:47
Hmmmmm, yes that DOES look interesting.Anyone have some opinions?
Koshkin?
Rancid?
Anyone please fell free to chime in.....Bandito
State Arms Rebel .50 BMG
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 23:03
I have not played with the Uni-dial.  My experience with Leatherwood scopes (as of a few years ago) has not been all that impressive, but Kickboxer tells me that they got a lot better.  I will look at them at SHOT Show tomorrow and see if I can get my hands on one for review some time in the spring.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2009 at 11:10
The leatherwoods I know are from many years ago, and I too was not overly impressed (though, at $385, it might be a hell of a bargain.)

As for the uni dial, Swaro is doing something similar now with their ballistic turret and I think it is a great idea.  I don't quite get how they prevent your getting lost on the dial (which revolution you are on.)

I haven't touched one.  Wait to see what ILya says and act accordingly.  if the glass is decent and the internals are repeatable, the resetable turrets is almost worth the price of admission all on it's own.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2009 at 01:43
Elevation is 1/2 moa per click so you get a lot of adjustment within one turn of the dial. Kickboxer tells me that there is some initial complexity in setting up which is overcome by the ease of use in the field once it is set up.  I like the idea of the markers and dialing in correction.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
500044936 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 500044936 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2009 at 19:13
Hi I bought a Rem 700 SPS .300 Win Mag and a friend gave me a ZOS 10-40X60 and its a piece of crap i have fixed it 3 times and i have been threw 40 shells at the most and i want a good scope and im not sure what to get Im shooting between 200 and 800 yrds and my price range is around $600-700 if anyone could help that would be great thanks
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2009 at 19:45
Originally posted by 500044936 500044936 wrote:

Hi I bought a Rem 700 SPS .300 Win Mag and a friend gave me a ZOS 10-40X60 and its a piece of crap i have fixed it 3 times and i have been threw 40 shells at the most and i want a good scope and im not sure what to get Im shooting between 200 and 800 yrds and my price range is around $600-700 if anyone could help that would be great thanks
You can go to the samplelist and check 3-10x50 Kahles CL for about $750, a Meopta Meostar R1 for $600-800, a Nikon Monarch in that range.  There are a number of good options.  The Kahles is probably your best option, but Meopta is putting out pretty good stuff, based upon reports read and a couple of owners I know.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
500044936 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 500044936 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2009 at 23:39
Do you think a Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10x44 Nikoplex would work good can you really see a wolf size target at 800yrds with a 10X scope
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic