OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle Scope Recomendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halastrion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle Scope Recomendations
    Posted: December/31/2008 at 14:28
Hello All,

I've been reading your forum a little bit and have been enjoying it.  I'm new to rifle scopes and want to figure out what to put on my Savage Hunter 11G in .308.  I originally was interested in the Shephard, but have read a lot of negative reviews of it. 

I like the BDC and saw the Nikon Primos on sale at SWFA.  I kind of wanted to get a combination between the BDC and the Mil Dot, but couldn't find anything.  I would like to learn to use a Mil Dot just to increase my knowledge, but like the simplicity of the BDC.  I would also like to keep it reasonably light weight and would love to have low light capability.  

I would mainly use the gun for hunting, recreation but would like to be able to use it for defense if needed. 

I also had questions about scope mounts.  I would really like to have mounts that release so I could take the scope off and on again (I still enjoy iron sites and would like to keep that option open).  I had this on my old 700BDL in 7mag and liked it, but I was worried about loosing zero and also my in-experience in mounting the scope in the first place. 

I'm on a budget and would like to keep things at $300 on the scope but could probably put more towards the accessories.

I would appreciate any help you could offer...

John.
"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters." Benjamin Franklin
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 14:31
if you like the bdc then go for the primos, its $200 from swfa.com
leupold makes nice qd rings and they arent to spendy
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 14:43
Leupold QR's are strong and very repeatable. I use them on my 700's and on my Knight ML.
Dshusker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dshusker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 15:10
I own three of the Team Primos scopes. All purchased at SWFA for $200. Great scopes with excellent clarity, contrast, and low light transmission. I believe they are the old Monarch UCC scopes? My scopes are mounted on a 30-06, a 308 WIN, and a 300 WSM. Be sure to read the instructions carefully because the zeroing-in  is different for some Magnum cartridges or cartridges over 2800 FPS muzzle velocity. I am not a great shot but was able to take an Elk and a Big Horn ram at 350-400 yds. Surprised myself actually. Good hunting!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 15:12
thats correct they are the old ucc, and yes for the price they are excellent. i like mine
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
halastrion View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halastrion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 15:25
Thanks Guys,

I probably will go with the Primos 3-9 at SWFA, that looks like a good deal, and it's great to hear from some experienced guys that it is a good choice...  

Is there a good way to judge range with this type of scope... I wish they would put the mill dots above the cross-hairs, even so it looks like a really cool scope...

John.

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters." Benjamin Franklin
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 15:29
practice or buy a range finder, is about all i can tell you there, i know out west the potential for long shots can be frequent.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halastrion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 15:32
Fair enough...

John.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 17:56

Nikon 3-9x40 Team Primos is the Monarch UCC and at $200.00 with Warne mount and rings you have a nice rifle set-up for about $300.00.

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 18:28
The only system I know that would be a cross would be a Burris Ballistic mil-dot, or a Zeiss Rapid-Z. Both of these systems can be used to find ranges, and are of course outside your listed budget. I see the draw to a system that can do both. This is why I got hooked on the Rapid-Z. I'll give you links to the Ballistic mil-dot, and Rapid-Z, but I own a Primos too, and they are nice for the $$$. I looked for different models, trying to get something in your price range, and just couldn't do it. That ballistic mil-dot looks just like your ticket.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 18:28
Originally posted by halastrion halastrion wrote:

Thanks Guys,

I probably will go with the Primos 3-9 at SWFA, that looks like a good deal, and it's great to hear from some experienced guys that it is a good choice...  

Is there a good way to judge range with this type of scope... I wish they would put the mill dots above the cross-hairs, even so it looks like a really cool scope...

John.

The Burris Ballistic mil-dot is what you are describing. They are a higher priced scope but it has the retcle you want. 
200769 Burris 4-16x44 Signature Select Rifle Scope                                                                             Burris 4-16x44 Signature Select Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Mil-Dot
  • 1"
  • Adjustable Objective
SWFA: $534.95
More Info... Buy Now
And welcome to the OT. Howdy
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 18:31
Roll on Floor Laughing Haha, beat you to it. Sorry.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halastrion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 16:46
Thanks again,

That is really useful information, they do seem to get expensive quickly... I am pretty excited about getting the Primos, it looks pretty nice. 

I was looking at the QD mounts, and saw that one guy recommended Leupold and the other the Warne.  I had a set of Leupold QD's on my old rifle and they were pretty nicely built, but I always thought they moved a little bit.  I'm not by any means an expert, and the problem could be something else of my own making, but are the Warne bases better?

John...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halastrion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 16:51

That Burris combo is pretty amazing, but I don't think I can spend the money for one yet.  I've been spending quite a bit lately on gun stuff and my wife is getting pretty frustrated with me.

It's amazing that they don't do things like that more often.  Even if most of us never used the Mil Dots, you wouldn't think it would cost them any more to add them in, it's hard to see the downside. 

Jim Bolivar diGriz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Bolivar diGriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 18:55
You're looking for Zeiss Rapid Z reticle. It comes in 4 different forms, but you might want to look at the Rapid Z-600:
http://www.birdseyebinoculars.com/product/ZS5214609971
I don't know anything about the retailer, though.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 19:10
...or you can go to our host's website at....

http://www.swfa.com/ 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halastrion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 00:49
Thanks,

That looks great, but I think I am going to go with the Nikon BDC mainly because of the price.  

John...
Jim Bolivar diGriz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Bolivar diGriz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 09:20
Ooops, my apologies. Didn't realize this was SWFA-sponsored board.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic