OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What rings and base on Savage 10FP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bridgta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What rings and base on Savage 10FP
    Posted: December/31/2008 at 09:56
I have decided to purchase a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X50 with the Z1000 and target knobs for my Savage 10FP w/24" barrel.  I'm trying to decide which rings and base to go with that will have the proper fit.  I have been told to go with either Farrell rings and bases or Warne, however, I do not know which ones.  If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.  Thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 13:39
Welcome to Optics Talk.

Have you considered a one piece rail instead of a 2 piece deal?
bridgta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bridgta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 14:22
Yes, do you think it would be better to go with the on piece base?  How do the Warne bases compare to  the Farrell bases?  
Thanks
Tennessean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 14:56
bridgta,

Welcome to the forum.  I don't get to get on here too often anymore, but I've received a lot of good advice here since getting my Savage 12BVSS, and for making other purchases.  I ended up getting a Farrell 1-piece base and Warne Maxima QD rings to go with my Super Sniper 10x42. 
bridgta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bridgta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 15:06
Thanks for the information, did the farrell mount nicely to your Savage.  I still have not purchased the Zeiss and I debated for quite some time between the SS and the Zeiss.
Thanks
Tennessean View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tennessean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 15:17
It fit like a glove and I couldn't be happier.  No problems mounting it.  I got the standard elevation base since I don't have a place easily accessible that I can shoot past 400 yards.  I take the scope off every time after shooting for storage and have never had a problem with the qd rings not lining up exactly each time. 
bridgta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bridgta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 15:40
Thanks,  Where did you buy the Farrell base at and I assume you bought the rings from SWFA.  Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 16:10
Bridgta, you can order a Farrell base directly from Farrell, if you choose too. 

How far do you see yourself shooting out too? Tennessean brought up a good point about a canted base. The Zeiss won't have a lot of "up" like the Super Sniper.
bridgta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bridgta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 16:37
I would like to get to 1000 yards, however, as a shooter I'm not there yet.  Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 16:47
Originally posted by bridgta bridgta wrote:

I would like to get to 1000 yards, however, as a shooter I'm not there yet.  Thanks

You'll probably be better served using a canted rail then.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 16:51
If you really want to get to 1000 yards eventually and plan on dialing in your shots, the Zeiss is not the scope you want.  It only has 45 MOA total elevation.  Even with a 20 or 30 MOA base reaching 1000 yards with a .308 is going to be iffy if not impossible.  If you are planning on using the reticle holdovers to reach 1000 yards then that is probably a different story. 

Look at IOR, Nightforce, Super Sniper, Leupold MK4 and such for long range scopes that have enough adjustment to reach 1000 yards. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
bridgta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bridgta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 19:37
OK, now I'm really confused.  I was told that the Zeiss 4.5-14X50 would be a great choice to go with in the Z1000 reticle for my desired shooting of up to 1000 yards.  What kind of yardage will this scope be able to reach by dialing in?  I'm now debating the simplicity of the SS.  Thanks for all your input, please keep it coming.  Thanks
bridgta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bridgta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 20:18
Will a mildot be more accurate than the holdover lines on a Z1000 reticle?
mfilippello View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 14:04
A 168gr 308 round will need about 40-42 moa to hit 1000 from a 100yrd zero. If the scope only has 45 moa total, you will have to be zeroed at 100yds at the far end of the adjustment range to be able to use 100% of the travel to get to 1000yds. That will be tricky to pull off. You will need either a 20 moa canted 1 piece base, or Some Burris Signature Zee rings with the offset inserts. You can do 5/10/15/20 moa by combining inserts. The 30mm pack comes with a pair of "10's" included. The 1" rings require you to purchase the inserts seperately but have more pieces to mix and match.

I like to hold dead on and dial to my range. If you want good glass and more elevation, Sightron has some nice new options. You can find the new SIII 6-24x50LRMD here with 100moa, or the 3.5-10x50LRMD with 120moa. They also have the big Sky 4.5-14x50 MD with 80moa. Check them out on the SWFA sight. Great Glass, great tracking, and a lifetime warranty on the scope no matter who bought it and where.

The Ken Farrel base and rings are nice but a tad tall. EGW and TPS make both flat and canted bases for the Savage. I have two savages one with EGW and one with KF.

mike

bridgta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bridgta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 14:30
Thanks for the information, however, I'm still somewhat confused.  The Z1000 reticle according to Zeiss is sighted in at 500 yards and it is made specifically with the .308 in mind to reach 1000 yards.  Please let me know what you think.
Thanks
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 22:10
Not sure about how the zeis reticle works. My info was about zeroing a scope at 100 yards and dialing out to hold dead on at 1000. No holdover.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 22:21
Ok just looked at the Zeiss site. The z1000 reticle is designed to be sighted dead on at 500 yrds. This means, you need enough internal moa to get the center cross hairs zeroed at 500 yrds. This should be no problem. Then instead of dialing up or down, you just use the other yardage lines for hold over. The larger ones for greater than 500 and the smaller ones down to 100.  no dialing at all. Some like this some don't. You also need to know that while it is calibrated for 308, you need to know what round (168gr/155gr/175gr/147gr). All these different bullet weights and styles have diffent trajectories based on BC and weight and powder charge. If you don't shoot the exact round that it is calibrated for, your POI's will be off.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. I like a standard mildot and a blalistic chart designed for each round I shoot. There are many programs that will print you a range card.
learjet View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote learjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 06:11
curious, does zeiss say what bullet, velocity, temp combo that recticle is for?
go w mildots, or a tmr style reticle in a LR SCOPE IMHO,
bridgta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bridgta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 21:09

Not sure regarding the bullet, velocity, etc.., I will check.  How does the new Sightron SIII 6-24X50 glass and reliability compare with the Zeiss Conquest?  I have also been looking at the IOR Tactical 4-14X50 (414530) but I'm not sure if it is worth the extral money.

Thanks
bridgta View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bridgta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2009 at 21:33
Zeiss does have a Rapid Z reticle ballistic computer program that you can use to calculate the specific ammo you are using.  Here is the link.  What do you think?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic