OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scout Scope Ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scout Scope Ideas?
    Posted: December/31/2008 at 09:47
Currently have a 2x Korean Simmons mounted.  It has 9-17" non-critical eye relief, but terrible field of view and barrel distortion.

Is there a real improvement in FOV and image quality our there?  Would some sort of prismatic dot sight be better.

Will be used for stalk/still hunting in close quarters.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 11:10
Originally posted by Palehorse Palehorse wrote:

Currently have a 2x Korean Simmons mounted.  It has 9-17" non-critical eye relief, but terrible field of view and barrel distortion.

Is there a real improvement in FOV and image quality our there?  Would some sort of prismatic dot sight be better.

Will be used for stalk/still hunting in close quarters.
.......................The scout scopes will have a narrower FOV. However, because one is able to keep both eyes open during the target acquisition and aiming process, the FOV is increased outside the scope with the other open eye that is not looking through the scope.

Although very fast to the target, scout scopes are not supposed to have wide FOV`s. If you`re wanting a wider FOV, then go with a 1x red dot or prismatic mounted the scout position.

I use a 2.5-8x28 Nikon Monarch EER UCC in the scout position as a part timer on my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier. Set on the 2.5x, it is very good and fast in closer quarters and excellent longer range precision shot capability on game or targets as needed set on the higher powers. Excellent glass on that Nikon. I wanted a variable EER scout for my 300, not a fixed Leupold scout or the Burris scout.

If your hunting is strictly in closer quarters, the fixed 2.5x Leupold scout or the fixed 2.75x Burris scout imo, are better choices than my Nikon. Excellent glass on both. On the other hand, if longer ranges out to 300-500 yards are possible for you, then the Nikon is better. Imo, I have the best of both worlds with my Nikon, short range close quarters bustin and the medium to longer range capability. 

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 11:28
There is a basic description of field of view and eye relief here http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=5027 You can't have both in an EER scope.
You can upgrade your glass quality with a Nikon, Burris or Leupold EER scope.
My experience with electronic dot scopes are with Aimpoint and C-more. For hunting, Aimpoint are the ones to get, IMO. The C3 had some specials going at SWFA.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 12:43
I always liked my Leupold 2.5X scope. Only reason I sold it was because I wasn't using the rifle it was on much (a K-31) and wanted the money for other projects.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 13:11
get an eotech and have the best of both.
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 13:31
jonoMT,

Was this the 2.5x28mm? Did you like the standard duplex, or did you opt for a heavy duplex or some other reticle?  Were the windage and elevation adjustments accurate?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 13:39
windage and elevation are as accurate as you can hold for a 2.5x scope. standard duplex is good on 8x11 in steel to 400 yds.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 14:22
I used a Leupold Scout scope on my 45/70 guide gun and now an Aimpoint Compc3
piece of cake to bust clay pigeons at 100 yards....

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic