OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Deciding which Talley rings to get.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deciding which Talley rings to get.
    Posted: December/30/2008 at 20:59
Hey, all.  I'm getting ready to buy a new scope (Sightron Big Sky vs. Elite 4200...unsure which yet) and need input on which set to get for my Tikka T3 Lite 270 short mag. 
In a past forum I was told that Talleys are a great way to go, but not sure which set to get. 
 Are the Fixed worth the extra $$ over the Lightweights?

swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 21:03
I just ordered the lightweight al. set...for the same gun.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 21:28
I would say since you have a lightweight Tikka, almost 6.5 pounds. get the lightweight Talleys.

What scope did you get again??

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Mustang-PaPa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang-PaPa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 21:29
I recently mounted the 4200 on my model 70/.270 and went with the Talley lt. wt. alum's and I'm most pleased.

One note of warning for you though...I did have issue with the in-correct mounting screws being sent with the Talleys. 3 screws were simply to short.  I just called Talley directly and they quickly sent the correct screws in the mail to me.
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 22:08
I think the lightweights are more practical and likely stronger being one piece.  The traditional Talley's though are the nicest looking mounts available IMO.  For your rifle the lightweights are a better match I think.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 22:10
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

I would say since you have a lightweight Tikka, almost 6.5 pounds. get the lightweight Talleys.

Hey, Mike.  I'm still banging my head against the wall about which scope to get, the Sightron Big Sky or Elite 4200.  I'll be getting TTC knobs for whichever I go with.  I have a couple Sightrons and had good luck with both.  But, I'm always willing to try something I've never owned before......the head bangin' continues.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 22:36
Originally posted by huff143 huff143 wrote:

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Hey, Mike.  I'm still banging my head against the wall about which scope to get, the Sightron Big Sky or Elite 4200.  I'll be getting TTC knobs for whichever I go with.  I have a couple Sightrons and had good luck with both.  But, I'm always willing to try something I've never owned before......the head bangin' continues.

Thunbs Up

Edited by mike650 - December/31/2008 at 07:34
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 01:43
I chose the lightweights as well. I think they are the best looking mount out there. They just look like they are supposed to be there.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 16:13
Thank you, everyone for your replies of help.  You have talked me into the Lightweights. 
If I can't make my mind up soon as to which scope I get next, I'm leaving up to the forum.  The scope with the most votes wins!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic