OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

millet DMS-1 alternative

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pow3rhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: millet DMS-1 alternative
    Posted: December/30/2008 at 13:05
pow3rhouse View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pow3rhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 13:07
sorry for the word formatting, I didn't think that would copy over and don't see a way to edit it. 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pow3rhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 17:54
I just looked and the tr21 is a 1" scope instead of a 30mm like I though, so I guess I will be buying a different mount. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 02:57
Try Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4x24.  I am very happy with mine.

ILya
mfilippello View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 14:13
Burris just came out with a xtr 1-4 scope with a bdc reticle specifically for 5.56. don't know how good it is but has a donut/dot in the center with extensions out to 1000 I believe.

One thing to keep in mind is that the dms1 is supposed to be true 1x which means both eyes wide open at 1x zoom for heads up shooting. Not to many of the other low power scopes do this properly.  Thats if it matters to you at all.

mike
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 15:18
The XTR is substantially more expensive.  Elite 4200 is also more expensive, but it is the closest in price that I have confidence with.

XTR has very interesting reticle, but it is calibrated to work with 5.56.  I think it is a good choice for an AR.

Elite 4200 reticle is much simpler, but very effective. 

As for the low end magnification, I am pretty comfortable using both eyes open at 1.25x, so I am not really bothered by that.

ILya
Digit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 12:59
Falcon Menace 1.5-5x30 could be another option.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2009 at 13:04
Trijicon is coming out with a newer version of the TR21, longer eye relief, 30mm tube.  I am waiting on that to replace my Millett DMS - with which I also have been less than impressed.  For $200, it is decent, I would not recommend it to anyone but the most cash-strapped.  And I might more highly recommend open sites witha tritium front site post over this.

I hear good things about the Bushnell, US Optics makes a great scope too (but not cheap), my money is waiting on the updated TR21.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pow3rhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2009 at 11:01
I ended up getting a Trijicon TR21 and a LaRue SPR-E mount for a price I could not pass up ($463). Hopefully it will be much better than the Millett. Thanks for everyone's help.   
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pow3rhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 18:51
I now have the TR21 mounted with a CAA one piece mount. I liked it better than the LaRue SPR-E which I have sold.

Wow is all I can say, this scope really puts the Millett to shame, although I guess it should for the price difference. While I still really like the Millett reticle I would sugguest people look elsewhere for a low powered scope. 
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 20:38
the new TR24 will be killer I think
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=21177

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 20:54
They will get my money, and I will know soon how well it stacks up.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic