OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

where are they made?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where are they made?
    Posted: December/29/2008 at 18:46
does anyone no for sure where the scopes of today are made?

i know leupold are assembled in the USA, and sightrons are made in japan, and the euro scopes are made in, well, europe.

what about the popular nikon, burris, vortex, etc.  are these made in china or the philipines? 

if you know where your scopes were made please add it to the thread.

thanks
mtw
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 20:17
It is complicated as not all scope companies are manufacturers and not all their products are made in the same country.  This is as far as I can figure and others may know better.

For example Bushnell Elites are made in Japan by the company the makes Weaver Japanese scopes and some parts of Nightforce scopes.  Some other Bushnells are made in the Philipines by the same company that makes Nikon scopes.  Some others are probably from China

Leupold makes all the Gold Ring models in the US as far as I know but the other lower end models who knows.

Burris makes some models in the US and some are imported from china I think.

Zeiss conquests are made in the US and the rest are made in Europe.

And so on and so forth.  Who knows in China but I'm sure different brand scopes with prices all over the map roll off the same factories.

Edited by donlipa - December/30/2008 at 10:51
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 20:22
What we need is a good Mexican scope!!!!   Bandito    
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 20:32

Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

Would they be waterproof.....  I better quit before I break all the p.c. barriers.

bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 21:31
Roll on Floor Laughing
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 22:26
Burris scopes are assembled either in the US or in the Phillipines, depending on the model.  Some lower end models are reportedly made in China, but Burris denies that.  The glass for higher end Burris scopes is provided by Pentax (and Pentax scopes are largely relabeled Burris scopes).

Zeiss Conquest scopes are assembled in the US.  The glass is made by Meopta in the Czech Republic and the mechanics are made by Zeiss in Germany.

Bushnell Elite scopes are made by Light Optics Works in Japan.  Light Optics Works also has a large facility in Phillipines where a lot of lower end scopes are made for Bushnell and for others.  The lower end Bushnell scopes are made in China by various OEM manufacturers.

Weaver Grand Slam scopes used to be made by Light Optics Works, but as Weaver changed hands a few times in recent years, I doubt they are still made by LOW.  Maybe they will again.

Leupold scopes are largely assmebled in the US with glass made in Japan, Korea or China depending on the scope line.

Sightron scopes are made in Japan.

Nikon scopes are amde all over the pacific rim.  Monarch scopes, depending on the model and year were made either in the Phillipines or in Thailand (the earliest Monarchs were made in Japan, but that did not last).

Vortex Viper scopes are made in the Phillipines by the same contract manufacturere that makes Nikon Monarchs, I think.  Lower end Vortex scopes are made either in the Phillipines or in China.

Swift scopes are largely made in Korea.

Let me know if you are curious about some brands I missed.

ILya
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 22:33
back to OLAY!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 22:37
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

Would they be waterproof.....  I better quit before I break all the p.c. barriers.

Of course they would be waterproof... 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 22:39
Thanks Koshkin!!  Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
FunShot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FunShot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 22:44
The Philippine Kenko Plant here in the Philippines, reportedly owned by Japanese investors currently assembles and makes optics/lenses for Nikon monarch, omega, buckmasters, primos, etc..., bushnell legend, and rumored to be now making elite 3200s as well, Burris Fullfield and timberline, Vortex(not sure which line), A simmons 44mag replica, etc... There are reports of pentax scopes, leica, and sighttron being made there as well as they also manufacture either binoculars, laser rangefinders, and spotting scopes for all of the mentioned brands. Leupold also is rumored to have deals with the plant here, i think that they are or have lenses made here. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 22:59
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Thanks Koshkin!!  Thunbs Up

Trijicon glass is made by LOW in Japan.  Reticle related stuff is done here in Michigan as is final assembly.

Nightforce glass is made by LOW in Japan.  Assembly ir, reportedly, in the US.

Aimpoint is a Swedish company and I think that is where their sights are made.

Swarovski products are made in Austria, although I have heard some very persistent rumors that the 6x erectors in their Z6 scopes are made in Japan by LOW.

Super Sniper scopes are, reportedly, made by Kenko industries in Japan.

Kenko is owned by Hoya, which has recently acquired Pentax who provide glass for Burris.  We'll see where that goes, if anywhere.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 23:03
Bow
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 23:04
Excellent

Kowa and Kahles?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 23:10
Kowa is a Japanese company, and, to the best of my knowledge, they do everything in Japan.

Kahles is an Austrian company with everything done in Austria.

ILya
mtw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 23:30
thanks for the replies.  just curious i mainly use sightron products now.  but i bought a pair of nikon binocs last year and they were made in china.  a cheap pair not even waterproof(failed to look at the description) so now they sit in the truck.  bought a nikon rangefinder also china, although it is very good.  looked at the leupold rangefinders, they were 100 bucks higher and also made in china with the same warranty.

you jokesters crack me up!! lol  i have set up electric motor plants in mexico and if it is still like it was 10 years ago, we couldnt keep employees for more than 2 weeks.  their relatives would come in to work for them.  when we asked were the ones were that we had hired, they would say USA, we will take their place.  i dont see how companies stay in business down there.  the company i worked for sold out and the buyer sent the plants to china.

koshkin, lots more info than i had expected.  thanks

thanks again all
mtw
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 08:26
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I heard each scope is recoil tested in the back seat of an '89 Bronco, while being chased by the Border Patrol.....10000 rounds of .375 H&H wasn't cost effective.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 08:43

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I heard each scope is recoil tested in the back seat of an '89 Bronco, while being chased by the Border Patrol.....10000 rounds of .375 H&H wasn't cost effective.

Multi-tasking  Wink
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 08:48
Laugh Above
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 08:52
" Hey, ju damn gringos! Do ju thinks that ees funny??!!  Maybe I weel stake jure scrawny little butts out over the bed of thee fire ants and see hows ju likes that, eh, amigo!!! "  

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 20:29
ExcellentSmoking Bandit  LMAO!  I was gonna go tie flies for a fishing trip this weekend, but this is good stuff.  They don't even write s&*# this funny for television!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic