OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Berger VLD`s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Berger VLD`s
    Posted: December/29/2008 at 11:33
I`ve watched this same show, probably 3 times now on TV called "The Best of the West."

About long range custom rifles by "Gunwerks" using the Huskamaw scopes and taking game from 300-400 yards and even out to 1000 yards. Available on a few DVD`s too.

While that rifle and scope set up isn`t me, as I prefer to stalk more and carry less rifle weight, I am becoming very interested in these Berger VLD bullets for hunting use when I use my 300 WSM, especially on the hogs or anything else I may take my 300 for.

These VLD`s (they use the 7mm`s on the show) are dropping elk, grizzlies and just about everything else at super long ranges.

From my understanding, rather than enter, penetrate and then exit out the other side (like a typical broadside shot), these VLD bullets penetrate a short distance and then virtually explode the vitals with the bullet fragments, while penetrating about 18" to 24" in the process with no exit wounds.

Probably for its best accuracy, Berger recos that the VLD bullets should be seated to the rifling. If that`s the case, I hope I have enough magazine length to do so, while cycling the bolt effectively. If not, I`ll have to keep the OAL as long as possible and see what accuracy I do get.

Has/ is anyone successfully hunted with these and/or reloaded them??? 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 11:38
a buddy of mine used them a month ago in north dakota to take a couple of whitetail with his .257 roberts and while he said the deer went down with one shot a piece, he shot them in the neck and they made a small hole going in and a big hole going out, he said he wasnt sure how well they would handle a shoulder shot, but he didnt think a rib shot would bother them.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 12:05
Just got off the phone with the Berger tech dept and HQ`s located 7 miles from me in Fullerton Ca..........Depending on the rifle and for the best accuracy, they reco bullet seating anywhere from 5/1000ths into the rifling out to 15/1000ths away from the rifling. Within that 20/1000ths every rifle has its own sweet spot.

According to Berger, the reports on the VLD stopping power coming in from hunters who use them on all types of game; small, medium and large,,, is astonishing.

Looks like I`m going to try some these VLD`s along with some REL 17!...Whoa!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 12:19
i know they are wiked accurate, and i know a lot of these "sniper" style hunters use them effectively for them 1000+yd shots
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 12:31
  I reckon you guys read the article in Handloader Mag #248 entitled "Berger Bullets on Big Game"?  Kinda eye opening.

til later
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 13:04
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

I reckon you guys read the article in Handloader Mag #248 entitled "Berger Bullets on Big Game"?  Kinda eye opening.

til later
............Nope! I haven`t read that one!....Please tell us what  the summary was!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 13:20
the video they have on there web site called hunting with the vld is pretty cool, a bunch of bang flops from various game and calibers.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 13:46
    Quotes from the article:

"Close to 200 big game animals ranging from 40 to 400 pounds in weight have been killed during field-testing of VLD's. None failed to penetrate,and in general the bullets killed very quickly,understandable when we opened up the animals and saw the amount of tissue destruction"

"The entrance hole is needle thin,and by the time what's left of the bullet hits the far side of the chest,the real damage has been done inside"

"The bad rap on such "tender" bullets is that they'll sometimes expand too quickly,creating a surface wound rather than tearing up the vitals inside the chest. This never happened,even on shoulder shots."

He shot a dead,lung-shot billy goat that he had propped up through both shoulders at 10yds. The 185gr VLD @2800 fps out of a .30-06 went through both shoulder joints.

Here is a list of cartridges,bullet wts,and velocities used:
    -two .257 Roberts /115gr VLD @ 2900fps
    -one .264 Winchester Magnum/140gr VLD @ 3000fps
    -two .30-06's /168gr & 185gr VLD's @ 2900fps & 2800fps
    -one .300 Winchester Magnum/168gr & 185gr @ 3100fps & 3000fps

As with most of John Barsness' articles,they're long,full of useful info/data,as well as entertaining and this one is no different. I tried to get you the meat of the article. So are you wringing your hands yet? I smell rubber burnin so I know your thinkin of something.

til later
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 13:51
i know barsness did some extensive testing with them last year, and as far as im concerned if barsness says it, its as good as gold.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 13:53

I tried 168's in my 7mm Rem Mag and they grouped very well when seated into the lands.  I don't remember the exact group sizes, but they were sub-moa at 100 yds.  This was out of a Weatherby Vangard w/ the trigger upgraded to a Timney.  Squeezer - I have a copy of the HL article if you would like to read it.  PM me and and I will send it to you.  

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 14:06
I am going to try these Ive been tinkering the thought ever since JB did his write up, that show the (best of the west) is not something the average hunter should be watching and trying to duplicate,they think if they buy all this stuff gun/scope, videos they are good togo I ran in to one at the range he could not even sight in his own gun? but he stated im going to take a deer @ 900yrds this year .  NOT GOOD!     No No
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 14:08
i agree, which is why im not sure its a great idea to put stuff like that on tv, if you practice it every week then fine, but a newbie has no business doing that, not fair to anybody there!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 14:31
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

I am going to try these Ive been tinkering the thought ever since JB did his write up, that show the (best of the west) is not something the average hunter should be watching and trying to duplicate,they think if they buy all this stuff gun/scope, videos they are good togo I ran in to one at the range he could not even sight in his own gun? but he stated im going to take a deer @ 900yrds this year .  NOT GOOD!     No No
...............................Before anyone uses a setup like the "Gunwerks" rifles and Huskemaw scopes used on that show, they`d better buy the DVD`s and get some reeeel good instruction...........On the show, I saw an antelope nailed at 900 yards with that set up using a 7mm mag. An elk at 800 yards, 2 shots downing a grizzly if I remember correctly at 802 yards?? If I were constantly hunting game at those long distances, I`d go for the that "Gunwerks" set up myself. 

But I`ll tell ya! My next batch of bullets to be used on my next hog hunt will be the VLD`s. I`d have to think that these VLD`s would be more accurate and even more devastating on big hogs than the SST`s I`m using now.

Those 175`s, 185`s and 190`s would make for some reeeel good elk bullets too! Great BC`s to fly well! 

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 14:52
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Quotes from the article:

"Close to 200 big game animals ranging from 40 to 400 pounds in weight have been killed during field-testing of VLD's. None failed to penetrate,and in general the bullets killed very quickly,understandable when we opened up the animals and saw the amount of tissue destruction"

"The entrance hole is needle thin,and by the time what's left of the bullet hits the far side of the chest,the real damage has been done inside"

"The bad rap on such "tender" bullets is that they'll sometimes expand too quickly,creating a surface wound rather than tearing up the vitals inside the chest. This never happened,even on shoulder shots."

He shot a dead,lung-shot billy goat that he had propped up through both shoulders at 10yds. The 185gr VLD @2800 fps out of a .30-06 went through both shoulder joints.

Here is a list of cartridges,bullet wts,and velocities used:
    -two .257 Roberts /115gr VLD @ 2900fps
    -one .264 Winchester Magnum/140gr VLD @ 3000fps
    -two .30-06's /168gr & 185gr VLD's @ 2900fps & 2800fps
    -one .300 Winchester Magnum/168gr & 185gr @ 3100fps & 3000fps

As with most of John Barsness' articles,they're long,full of useful info/data,as well as entertaining and this one is no different. I tried to get you the meat of the article. So are you wringing your hands yet? I smell rubber burnin so I know your thinkin of something.

til later
......................Yep! My wheels are turning and my rubber is a burnin!!

From my 16.5" tubed 300 WSM shorty, I can exceed 24" `06 ballistics as my chrony as shown! When I see bull elk, medium and big sized bears and such taken successfully at 700 and 800 yards with these VLD`s with such devastating one shot stopping power, then that makes my shorty barrel all the more potent with better stopping power at 500-600 yards with these VLD hunting bullets............I wonder what Berger would say about some VLD`s for a 375 caliber!...Naughty....An interesting thought!............Squeezer spinning the brain cells!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 14:59
GO! squeezer GO! run like the wind!

Yippee
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 15:01
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

...............................Before anyone uses a setup like the "Gunwerks" rifles and Huskemaw scopes used on that show, they`d better buy the DVD`s and get some reeeel good instruction...........On the show, I saw an antelope nailed at 900 yards with that set up using a 7mm mag. An elk at 800 yards, 2 shots downing a grizzly if I remember correctly at 802 yards?? If I were constantly hunting game at those long distances, I`d go for the that "Gunwerks" set up myself

But I`ll tell ya! My next batch of bullets to be used on my next hog hunt will be the VLD`s. I`d have to think that these VLD`s would be more accurate and even more devastating on big hogs than the SST`s I`m using now.

Those 175`s, 185`s and 190`s would make for some reeeel good elk bullets too! Great BC`s to fly well! 

I've been watching their show every week, and their shots don't look too much different than my own. They used to gave a great show, but now it has turned into a half hour commercial for their products. They can keep their Gunwerks guns. I'll take a custom, built on a nesika hunter action with a Krieger fluted barrel, and Bell & Carlson medallist stock. They can stick their Huskemaw optics, well you know. I'll take a 4200, or Conquest any day. Put a Kenton knob on them, and you have the same thing. Or use a Rapid-Z reticle. The biggest thing is get out and perfect those shots. Weekly. I will try the Berger VLD's though. Squeezer, let me know how they work out for you. They carry lots of energy. I may need that to stretch my range any further than it is now.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 15:05
trigger you have the perfect gun to really rip em from way the hell out there too!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 15:15
Not quite Pyro. It's too small. Looking into a .300 Wby. Mine is good for deer out to about 700 yds, but anything bigger than deer, I go to my .300. A .300 wby with my Conquest on it would be the ticket.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 15:20
to hell with that, 30-378wby for the ultimate long range deer rifle!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 15:28
OR JUST GET CLOSER?    Big Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic