OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is there a way to identify Zeiss Model?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a way to identify Zeiss Model?
    Posted: December/29/2008 at 07:36
Howdy all,

Is there a way to identify which Model Zeiss I'm looking at? I found a 8x56 T P Model. Does not have a Victory or Conquest marking. Tear drop shaped rubber eye cups. Marked made in Germany (post West Germany) I can get serial number if that would help. Almost new condition. Made low ball offer of $400 and was countered at $480. Good deal? Any info would help.

Thanks!
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 08:08
It sounds like a Zeiss Classic, and the markings should be T*P*. Excellent binoculars.
Of course they are worth more than $500.  
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 08:20
I have not seen the tear drop shaped cups on the classic types before.
I looked at the 8x56 before I ended up with the 7x42. They are quite a bit larger, scaled up from the 7x42. They are excellent binoculars.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 08:23
Try not to dislocate your elbow or shoulder while yanking your checkbook out.  Try to look nonchalant....like this sh*t happens everyday.............
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 10:08
What color are they?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 10:23
Good question. The Classic series were whatever color you wanted, as long as it was black. The even more expensive, and heavier, Design Collection were grey/green/black.
 Do they have long ribs on the body, or small dimples?

Edited by anweis - December/29/2008 at 10:24
aafan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 11:12
black and I don't remember seeing long ribs or dimples?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 13:31
Zeiss made a binocular called the Night Owl that came in the 8x56 configuration. Could be them
aafan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 17:41
Picked them up today...gray body, square "dimples" on the body , marked 8X56 T*P*  Does this narrow it down?
Narrow Gap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Narrow Gap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 20:02
That is the Night Owl's. They are awesome but the glass used on those bino's made them heavy and that is why Zeiss with the next series of bino's in the Zeiss lineup- Victory's came out with the AOS system-Advanced Optics System which uses glass that is lighter. I just sold my Zeiss Victory 8X56 bino's. I owned them four years and they are just to heavy for the type of hunting I do. I learned my lesson. I now have the Leica Ultravid 8X32 bino's. In a word awesome bino's.
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 20:16
Those Zeiss 8x56's should be just AWESOME, AWESOME,AWESOME, in low light applications !
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 20:32
Wanna sell them for 2x what you paid for them??????
aafan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 21:31
But then all I would have is my Brunton Epochs! Of course I won the Epoch at a Friends of NRA raffle...but that ticket did cost me $10!Wink
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 10:46
You're killin' me man.  I just need to follow you around and take the deals you pass on, you're a lucky guy.
aafan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 12:40

I better get some good deals after all the time I spend at Gun Shows and Gun Stores...plus ask me how many raffle tickets I bought for stuff that I didn't win!Wink

I also got the Swarovski CTC 30x75 Spotting Scope for $600. Guy was bringing it in for his late Father in Laws estate to the same store. I put a hold on it before they even put it out for sale
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 17:19
So you found a Zeiss 8x56 for $480 and a Svarovski spotter for $600? Man, i hate to tell you this, but you may have seriously overused your allotted good luck in this life. Considering that you drained your karma, I suggest that you be very careful from now on. Don't tell me that you also found a Sako 75 chambered in 6.5x55 in a pawn shop for $299? If you did, buy some good accident insurance quickly.
Big SmileSmileSmileBig Smile
Except for stand hunting, those 45 oz binoculars will be waaaaay too heavy.
aafan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aafan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 18:41
Gun deals happen to me pretty often actually. I work the local gun shows for our local  FONRA commitee, our local gun club (Kern Shooting Sports) and run a shotgun program. As a result I know lots of people...Lots. Soo, I run across deals on a fairly regular basis.

It's a long list of great guns at good prices...

Optics are kinda a new obsession for me. I got my Hakko direct from Japan wholesale some years back (OEM for a Nikon Tactical at 50% less) Then tried the Eagle Eye optics (Czech) again at wholesale and was favorably impressed. But needed some Binocs and spotting scopes hence the Zeiss, Brunton and Svarovski...now for that Kowa deal...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic