OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is this normal for a Burris scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centerfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this normal for a Burris scope?
    Posted: December/29/2008 at 00:02
Just got me a brand new black-diamond Burris 8x32X 50mm scope.

Is it normal to have to have to use 3 or 4 fingers firmly grasped around  the magnification ring in order to turn it? There is no way you can turn the ring with just your index finger and thumb like I do with my Bushnell Elite scopes, or many other scopes.

I suppose once the scope is mounted on the rifle I can get use to having to man-handle it that way.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 01:00
  Doesn't seem normal for me on any brand of scope. In fact I bought a new VXIII 1.75-6x32 this past summer that's the same way and it didn't get any better after mounting it. Although I hunted some with it this past season and it wasn't too cold,I was concerned about getting it turned if it did turn cold. I'm boxing it up and sending it in to Leupold.

til later
Centerfire View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centerfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 01:24
I'll mount the scope onto the rifle, and see if it being locked on it will make it easier to grasp and turn the ring.

HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT BURRIS SERVICE?!! One guy recently reported that they scratched his scope, and sent it back to him un-fixed. Another guy reports they cross threaded his turret cap.  Frankly, that was the main thing that really had me nervous about buying this scope. I want to try avoiding those clowns at all costs!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 02:04
I have seen this on new scopes with reasonable frequency.  Most of the time the power adjustment rings will loosen up a touch with use.  If it does not, you may need to contact the customer service.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 07:12
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have seen this on new scopes with reasonable frequency.  Most of the time the power adjustment rings will loosen up a touch with use.  If it does not, you may need to contact the customer service.

ILya

plus 1 i had a burris ffII and a nikon buckmaster that did that too, right out of the box but after messing with it for a while i was fine
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 09:42
I owned that exact same scope.  It was always stiff for the 2 years I owned it.  When it turns that hard it's easy to accidentally turn the "famed-legendary fast focus" that is a much loved feature by members here.  THe Burris design is the main reason I dislike fast focus rings.  When you're in a hurry laying on the edge of a prairie dog town and you try adjusting the magnification without taking your eyes off the dogs, and you accidentally turn the focus ring because the magnification ring is too stiff........priceless.  Even when you get the hang of it, just wait until your buddy shoots it some.  He will almost certainly change your focus accidentally.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 09:54
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

I owned that exact same scope.  It was always stiff for the 2 years I owned it.  When it turns that hard it's easy to accidentally turn the "famed-legendary fast focus" that is a much loved feature by members here.  THe Burris design is the main reason I dislike fast focus rings.  When you're in a hurry laying on the edge of a prairie dog town and you try adjusting the magnification without taking your eyes off the dogs, and you accidentally turn the focus ring because the magnification ring is too stiff........priceless.  Even when you get the hang of it, just wait until your buddy shoots it some.  He will almost certainly change your focus accidentally.

you based your bias toward fast focus on one bad burris scope? nice! the new nikon and bushnell fast focus is nothing like the burris.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 09:59
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

you based your bias toward fast focus on one bad burris scope? nice! the new nikon and bushnell fast focus is nothing like the burris.

I know what the Nikon and Elite focus ring is like.  I own both.  But yes your point is well taken.  That's what I was saying.  THe terrible design of the Burris was the first scope I had with fast focus about 5 years ago.  Now I don't have the same love of fast focus as you.  I know we've beat this one to death but I never had a problem with the old style on my older Monarch and Leupy's.  Just my observations and opinion after owning most of the discussed scopes here.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 10:01
i didnt care for the burris style either, mine sucked too, but it was a nice scope back then for $199. i dont use fast focus in the field much mostly on the bench anyways, but its nice to be able to just reach up there and turn it, without moving a locking ring first.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 10:08

i didnt care for the burris style either, mine sucked too, but it was a nice scope back then for $199. i dont use fast focus in the field much mostly on the bench anyways, but its nice to be able to just reach up there and turn it, without moving a locking ring first.

Especially if your fingers are slippery from eating all that lutefisk at the range.Mouth Taped Shut
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 10:14
yuck!!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 10:15

Especially if your fingers are slippery from eating all that lutefisk at the range.Mouth Taped Shut

The lens coating I supply after eating lutefisk makes any focus style useless.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 10:16
Puker
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 10:20
A lens coating even more mysterious than the famed "Rainguard".  Do you have a patent yet?
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 10:30

A lens coating even more mysterious than the famed "Rainguard".  Do you have a patent yet?

All the ingredients are proprietary except the HCL.......patent pending
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic