OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron II big sky vs. Nikon monarch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hossdaniels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron II big sky vs. Nikon monarch
    Posted: December/28/2008 at 19:28

I cant decide between these two scopes.  The winner will go on a 270 win hunting rifle, 500 yd max shot.

Sightron II Big Sky hhr-    3-9x42  I like the hunter holdover recticle.  That big dot in the middle looks good for low light hunting use, and the longer range shots get narrower lines.

Nikon 2.5-10x42  bdc-    I dont really like the Bdc recticle as much, but it should work fine.  Better magnification range. I have a old style monarch with no complaints.

Both supposedly have good glass, both cost $400, so which one and why?

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 20:18
Originally posted by hossdaniels hossdaniels wrote:

I cant decide between these two scopes.  The winner will go on a 270 win hunting rifle, 500 yd max shot.

Hey, we don't use that word here. Pyro gets upset. Please call it a 6.8 mm winchester pyro special. It's a toss up for me. I already have a Nikon similar to that, and like it. I would own another, but I like the looks of the hhr reticle, and would love to try one. This may be a tough call. Optically they are in the same ballpark.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 20:23
I would take S2 Big Sky over the Monarch, although both are good scopes.

ILya
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 20:29
If you like the 2.5-10x42 Monarch seriously look at the 3-9x40 Team Primos with BDC and save yourself a couple hundred.
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2008 at 18:09
Sightron SII Big Sky scope is better.I would say a Sightron SII Big Sky is even better than my Zeiss Conquest/Leupold VX7.
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 18:58
I'm very interested in the Sightron Big Sky scopes.  I really want to step up from the $200 type of scopes I've been using.   How do they really compare in clarity and low light?
mfilippello View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfilippello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2009 at 22:05
Originally posted by huntingaddict huntingaddict wrote:

I'm very interested in the Sightron Big Sky scopes.  I really want to step up from the $200 type of scopes I've been using.   How do they really compare in clarity and low light?

Just ask/listen to Koshkin. They are his go to scope most of the time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic