OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX3 Versus Bushnell 4200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viking Patriot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX3 Versus Bushnell 4200
    Posted: December/28/2008 at 19:21

Can you guys lend some advice on scope selection.

I am trying to decide between a Bushnell 4200 1.25-4X and Leupold VX3 1.5-5X.
Both have the German #4 with red dot illumination with a 30MM tube.
The leupold has a little better eye relief.
Both look great to me.
I need to know which one is better...
I am mounting the scope to HK-91 in .308 cal.
Any help would be appreciated...
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 20:25
Both are good but I'd spend the little extra $$ and take the Leupy.  I'm not sure what Bushnell's customer service is like, but Leupold's is right up there with Sightron's.
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 20:38
Which is cheaper?  Bushnell 4200 series are considered by many to have slightly better glass than the VX-III's.  So if the 4200 is the same price or cheaper go with the Bushnell.  Bushnell customer service is good and the Elite 4200's have an excellent warranty on par with Leupold.  Just my opinion of course if you want a Leupold just to have a Leupold that is fine too.
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 20:53
No but IMO the Bushnell Elite 4200 series are better optics than the VX-III series and are generally cheaper so they are better.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 21:13
Originally posted by donlipa donlipa wrote:

Which is cheaper?  Bushnell 4200 series are considered by many to have slightly better glass than the VX-III's.  So if the 4200 is the same price or cheaper go with the Bushnell.  Bushnell customer service is good and the Elite 4200's have an excellent warranty on par with Leupold.  Just my opinion of course if you want a Leupold just to have a Leupold that is fine too.

LEU54904 Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-III 30mm Riflescope                                                                                 Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-III 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated German #4 Dot
  • 30mm
  • Metric
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $521.96
More Info...

421424M Bushnell 1.25-4x24 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                               Bushnell 1.25-4x24 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
SWFA: $389.95
More Info... Buy Now

I still think a 4200 would have a hard time hanging with Leupold's durability and CS dept.  The glass may be a little clearer on the Elite, but it's not like he'd be cranking up on a 16 power scope in low light.  Since it would only be going up to 5X anyway, I'd take the one with better tracking and rep for toughness.....Leupy!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 21:14
Originally posted by donlipa donlipa wrote:

No but IMO the Bushnell Elite 4200 series are better optics than the VX-III series and are generally cheaper so they are better.

Maybe... but for the set up Viking Patriot is looking for I would go with the Leupold over the Bushnell or choose another brand like an Accupoint. Trijicon is coming out with a new Accupoint 1-4 (in 30mm tube) that should be real nice. 

There are some excellent deals right now on VXIII's that should offset the price too.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 21:39
Originally posted by huff143 huff143 wrote:

Both are good but I'd spend the little extra $$ and take the Leupy.  I'm not sure what Bushnell's customer service is like, but Leupold's is right up there with Sightron's.

Should someone buy a scope with the expectation that they will be needing to use the customer service department?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 21:45
I think as far as durability goes, Elite 4200 can hang with VX-3 and then some.  Same for tracking.  Personally, I think Leupold's reputation for toughness is way overblown.  These days, they seem to be, on average, about as tough as their competition.  Whether Leupold scopes have become less tough over the years or if the competition has caught up, I do not know.  I suspect the latter.

Optically, I think Elite 4200 has an edge.

In low light, Elite 4200 will have a pretty significant edge due to the 24mm objective vs Leupold's 20mm objective (aside from better optics): 44% larger exit pupil at the same magnification.

Pretty much the only thing where Leupold has an edge is in eye relief: Leupy's eye relief is long, but for your application I do not think that makes a difference.

Leupold's actual magnification is 1.5-4.4x and it has considerably narrower field of view at all magnification.  At the same magnification, Elite 4200 has about 10% more field of view across the board, with an additional advantage at low end due to 1.25x vs 1.5x magnification.

ILya
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 22:03

I have a 4200 on my M1A (.308) it is the 3-9x40 model and I do not give a second thought to its durability, they are as durable as any other scope at this level.  Leupold does not have a magical secret durability formula, many others are just as durable as the VX-III (4200, monarch, conquest etc..).  The 4200's have a great lifetime warranty with 1 no questions asked replacement (say you run it over with your truck) and then the regular lifetime warranty against defects and I hear their CS is good though I never have had to used it.

If you want the Leupold get it but just know you will be paying more money for a scope that is slightly less able (except for eye relief as noted).  I understand if a person want to stick with a certain brand that is fine.  It is a good scope just not the best for the money IMO.

I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 22:08
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Should someone buy a scope with the expectation that they will be needing to use the customer service department?

Nope.  I just figured he might need it with the Bushnell. Big Grin  

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 22:14

Nope.  I just figured he might need it with the Bushnell. Big Grin  

With about equal probability he would need it with Leupold.  I take it that Leupold's great CS reputation was not earned because they have nothing to fix. 

I do not know if Bushnell customer service is particularly good or bad since I never had to use. 

I do know for a fact that Leupold's customer service is very good (except for those times when they keep on insisting that there is no problem with the scope: the reticle is not canted all THAT much, the erector tube is not moving around all THAT much, the magnification ring is not THAT hard to turn, just use a pipe wrench, etc).  If the scope is catastrophically broken they will fix it very quickly.  If the problem requires some investigation, they need to be pushed a little.

ILya
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 22:22
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

With about equal probability he would need it with Leupold.  I take it that Leupold's great CS reputation was not earned because they have nothing to fix. 

I do not know if Bushnell customer service is particularly good or bad since I never had to use. 

I do know for a fact that Leupold's customer service is very good (except for those times when they keep on insisting that there is no problem with the scope: the reticle is not canted all THAT much, the erector tube is not moving around all THAT much, the magnification ring is not THAT hard to turn, just use a pipe wrench, etc).  If the scope is catastrophically broken they will fix it very quickly.  If the problem requires some investigation, they need to be pushed a little.

ILya

Bushnell's customer service is very good. I had to send one back after I discovered the reticle fell apart while in transit to deer camp.  Dead  All I had to do was call CS and then send the scope back for repair, they sent me a new one in return. Thunbs Up   It was not an Elite 4200.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 22:37
Hey, Viking.  I bet you didn't figure this would stir up such a poop-storm, did ya?  All in good fun!Evil Laugh out Load
Let me know what you decide on and how you like it. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 22:49
Like ILya suggested, practice makes perfect. I find it funny that folks will pay a premium (up front) for a service that they should never need. On the other hand, if you are shopping or a used Leupold, their warranty/customer service is a valuable asset. Personally, I used to use Leupold's exclusively until my airline travel began to make them loose zero. I switched to 4000/4200's and my problems went away. In my opinion, the 4200 is a more durable scope, costs less, is better optically, tracks better and holds zero better. Guess I'm just being too demanding of my hard earned money.

Edited by Roy Finn - December/28/2008 at 22:56
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 22:58
No poop storm really going on.  It just always suprises me that people go out of there way to stick with Leupold and dog the competition for no particular reason even when better cheaper options abound.  Especially at the VX-I to VX-III levels, other companies have caught up and took the lead.  I do like their vast range of models and custom shop though if you need that one special configuration Leupold may be your best option.
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 00:02

Hey, Viking.  I bet you didn't figure this would stir up such a poop-storm, did ya?  All in good fun!Evil Laugh out Load
Let me know what you decide on and how you like it. 

That it was!!   Smile

VP, welcome to the OT!! Please post some pics of your HK91 after your through setting it up. 
Viking Patriot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viking Patriot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 00:10
I am leaning toward the Bushnell 4200.

I located a source that has the Leupold on sale for $40.00 more than the Bushnell.

I will purchase both and look them over and return the one that I do not want. 

Thanks for everyones help.

VP
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 05:29
SWFA actually has the Leupold cheaper than the Bushnell right now.  Search around for the best deal on the Leupold as they are on closeout now that the VX-III is getting a upgrade.  Honestly they are both good that is why I said buy whichever is cheaper in my first post.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 11:22

That's what I have always wondered about!!  I just EXPECT the durn thing to work!!  Of course, I guess I don't shoot these things enough to kill 'em....  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
buglemfar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buglemfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 13:27

Well, I can't vouch for the Leupold VX3 since I've never been able to afford one (though I'm sure it's a fine scope) but after a fair amount of research at various forums and advice from the kind experts at this one, I settled on an Elite 4200 3-9X and could not be happier!

The quality is certainly there, well made, great clarity and the rainguard was exceptional in an opening weekend blizzard here. Used it to take a nice mule deer buck this season and hope to use it for many seasons to come. I would not hesitate to recommend it to a friend or buy another myself and sure would If I could! Yippee 

"We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun. He is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected." - Thoreau
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic