OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

which scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hardcase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which scope?
    Posted: January/22/2005 at 20:16
I'm looking for a scope for a 338 rem ultra mag.Due to irregularities on my cornea,I have to wear glasses.lasik is not an option.Therefore,I find scopes with the european fast focus to work best for me,with an eye relief of 3.5 or more.The scopes I'm looking at are the 1.5x6 30mm Monarch gold,kahles,and ziess. My other choices are---swar 3x9 and 3x 10 american series and even the 6x nikon monarch. I would like a little help choosing one.Most of my shooting is under 300 yds.I'm particularly interested in reliability(had a 300 wby that ate scopes faster than I can ice cream) and clarity . thanks
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 04:43

All good choices you mentioned.

This statement is subject to debate, but here goes.

I would go with a fixed power scope on a high recoil rig. The variables you mentioned will probably work OK. But a fixed power, if your worried about recoil failure, may be the answer.

Variable power scopes have more to go wrong typically.

Schmidt and Bender makes a kick ass fixed power. As do IOR and Leupold makes several.

I'd go with a fixed 6x or so.  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 10:39

I have a 338 Win Mag that has been passed down to me..It wore a old fixed k3 Weaver that held up well. For the last 4 years it has a Vari XIII 2.5-8 and that seems ideal considering  size ,weight and clarity.I also have a 45/70  Marlin that I load with Buffalo Bore's 405 Gr bruisers and with a 4200 Elite in 1.5-6 and it has held up perfectly. However, your list of choices are all quality items,,although I'd pass on the Nikon ( have had warranty problems ).

carolinaflats View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 13:30
Kahles, Zeiss, and Swarovski all offer lifetime warranties so if something shakes loose they should replace or fix the scope. I think Nikon claims to have a warranty but from what I've read here they are tough to deal with when it comes to warranty stuff. I think you would be happy with any of the Euro scopes. Good luck with your choice!  
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 16:19

If the guy speaks Deutch at the factory, it is usually a safe bet that you will get quality.

ranburr

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2005 at 05:44
I would probably opt for the Kahles and then the Swarovski if you wanted to step up another notch.  If you want clarity and quality, those are it!  Don't forget the Zeiss Conquest or the Bushnell 4200's either!
Imagunsmith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imagunsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2005 at 15:20
You can bet your .338 is gonna eat anything your .300 did. If you don't already have made your choice, you might condsider the Bushnell 4200, I don't thik you will be disappointed.
Gotta problem rifle? I can probably help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic