OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Period scope for Winchester 62

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creekrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Period scope for Winchester 62
    Posted: December/28/2008 at 12:56
I've just piced up a 1936 Winchester 62. It has a scope base attached, I'm not familiar with. I'd like to pick up an old, yet accurate, scope that would be correct for that gun. Any thoughts or scopes for sale would be appreciated.

Thanks
I wish ignorance hurt
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 13:13
Unfortunately that scope base was never intended for that gun someone has drilled extra holes so it could be mounted. I am a leave it be kinda guy I would remove the base fill the holes with threaded plugs and replace the rear sight. IMO
                                 please someone correct me if im wrong?

Edited by rifle looney - December/28/2008 at 13:32
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 15:55
I don't want to rain on your parade, either....but I would not scope a Model 62.  Look on ebay for all kinds of old, interesting scopes. 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 13:32
Oh puritans!

Let the man scope his gun if he wants to.

This is opticstalk not moraltalk

An old steel Weaver El Paso scope seems like a good one for that gun.

Click to search eBay for the words Weaver El Paso

Edited by spystyle - January/10/2009 at 13:34
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 19:57
scoping the 62 just does not look right,?
spystyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spystyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 20:10
What if he's an older gent with poor eyesight? For those guys scopes aren't "optional".

As for looks, I bet it doesn't look any more wacky than his glasses.

We don't know his situation and shouldn't tell him how to live. 

It's so weird, the puritan attitude among "collectors" - they always tell us what we can and can not attach a scope to.

When I had a Mosin Nagant 91/30 rifle the collectors flamed me for mounting a scope to it. Those same collectors pay big big bucks to get a Mosin Nagant that was fitted with a scope at the factory - a "sniper rifle"

So why is it holy if the factory does it and evil if I do it?

I say scope your gun if you want to. Later on a collector can plug the holes and "restore" it to his heart's content - then he can stick it in a room full of guns with a dehumidifier and never shoot it. Oh what fun.

The collectors must throw wild parties.

Edited by spystyle - January/10/2009 at 20:12
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2009 at 20:21
To.. each his own ...and no we don't know his circumstances  only because he has not answered back...and please don't call me a purist I am none of the sort I am just letting the man know the base was never intended for the gun.   and as far as collecting that gun aint worth enough to a collector I know I have three of them in various conditions.

Edited by rifle looney - January/10/2009 at 20:24
creekrat View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creekrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 11:37
Guys,

Thanks for the varied opinions. They're all appreciatede. Since the gun came with the scope mounts already on it, I did think it would be cool to put a period scope on it. And yes, I do have trouble shooting the iron sights as my vision isn't what is used to be. I can see the rear sight and the squirrel, unfortunately not at the same time.

Appreciate all the info.

Jim
I wish ignorance hurt
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 11:43
creekat ....look on e-bay for period/type scopes ,a weaver would probably be the best on that gun. didn't want to be negative towards your post .but if you need a scope and the gun already has the mount then go for it ...good luck.

Edited by rifle looney - January/11/2009 at 11:43
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2009 at 13:10
" Gadzooks! Hath someone farteth?? Raise thy hand, ye scoundrel! "

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 20:20
If you watch EBay a Weaver V22 would be a good match. They can take a licking and continue to keep shots where they need to be.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 20:41
My dads 62 was stolen from our cottage  Sad What a great plinker. It was OK to sink cans with bullets back then.
I sure hope the scope works out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic