OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Help folks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaronhines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help folks
    Posted: January/22/2005 at 16:01

I am in the final stages of assembly of my new varmint rifle--AR15 24"BBL, flat-top.  I am looking for a reliablescope with high magnification (>18X preferred).  I have had great experiences with Simmons for the past 7 years..use them on all my hunting rifles without a hitch.  However, when I see a 6-20X AO Simmons Varmint Scope, I wonder if it is entirely too  good to be true @ $120.00 a pop.  I shoot very long (300-800 yds) with some regularity.  I want a "good" scope that is reliable, nothing extreme.  I hope to stay under $200 with this purchase.  Any one have experience with this specific scope or one like it.  Thank you for your time!

aaronhines View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaronhines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 22:07

It would be much appreciated if someone could take a few moments and respond to my question(s).Thank you in advance for your time;this is my first post on this forum.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2005 at 18:03

I do not have experience with the particular scope you mention, but I do have some experience with Simmons products.  Generally, I've learned to stay away from them (as well as NcStart, BSA, Optronics, Tasco (except for Euro/Titan) and a few others).  Finding a quality scope under $200 is generally not straight forward (although possible, especially at the lower end of magnification scale).  Looking for something with high-magnification makes it even more difficult.  The best high mag scope for the money seems to be Mueller.  I am considering getting their 4-16x50 model, but they aso have a 8.5-25x50 Eraticator.  I've looked at a couple of them on other people's guns and I think I'll get a 4-16x50 model.  The Eraticator is a bit more magnification than I need, quite frankly, but it surprised me with optical quality.  The adjustment turrets on those two scopes felt the best of any Chinese assembled scope I've seen yet and on par with many japanese ones.  Some people like Simmons MacIV 6.5-20x44 scope, but it really can't hold a candle to Mueller scopes.  The only other scope I can think of fitting your criteria is a Bushnell Trophy 6-18x40.  Trophy is actually a surprisingly robust scope for the money with better optics than the SImmons, but not as good as Mueller.

Generally, you should consider spending more money or going to a lower magnification scope.  There you'll have a lot more choices.  For example, 5-15x Bushnell Legend is pretty decent for under $200.

At a little over $300 you can get a Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20 which is an excellent scope for the money or a Weaver V24 (Burris is a better scope, IMO).

At around $400 or a little more you have a host very good scopes: Sightron S2, Nikon Monarch, Burris Signature, etc.

Ilya

Edited by koshkin
riverrat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2005 at 20:45
 Hey Koshkin, when you get that Muller tell us how you like it! Debate on the Rifle Scope forum now about those! Anyway, to answer the original question, I would stay away from the Simmons for those ranges! That's been my experience! Check around for the Burris and, if you find what you want, do the 110% price guarantee! SWFA has a very good line-up of Burris'!
aaronhines View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaronhines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2005 at 22:38
Thank you all for your insightful responses, I appreciate your time.  Lower magnification is not an option for the shooting I will be doing with this rifle.  The Eradicator looks like a distinct possibility...wish they had it with mil dot reticle.  Anyone else out there have some feedback for me?  Let's raise the max price to $250 since this variable seems most definitive.  Thank you all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic