OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

questions about the reproduction of PU scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLaichzeiTx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: questions about the reproduction of PU scope
    Posted: December/27/2008 at 22:00
I should be getting a Nagant 91/30 soon and I was wondering about the effectiveness of the reproduction versions of PU scopes. I'd also like to know the main differences between them(PU's) and more modern scopes(say a $200 Bushnell 5-14x40). I live in MO. at the moment so ranges will be from 250 yards to about 600 or so. I only mention that because I'll be going to Utah one of these days with my father and will be presented with "range opprotunites" not available here and I need to know if the PU will be useable out to around 1000 yards. Thanks!Smile
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 12:12
You can use a butter knife to cut steak with too but that doesn't make it a plesant experience.  You already know----> you get what you pay for - sometimes less - never more.
The bigest difference in old scopes and new scopes is the coatings used on the glass but there is a significant difference. I think you would be better off with a H&R NEF Handi Rifle single shot in 30-06 because to begin with it would be EASY to mount a scope to. Then if you want to get to 1000 this scope will do it.
SS10X42I Intermediate SWFA SS 10x42 Kit                                                                                          Intermediate SWFA SS 10x42 Kit
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • Butler Creek Flip Ups
  • Super Sniper SunShade
  • Mil-Dot Master
SWFA: $359.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 12:15
SS10X42 SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope                                                                                       SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
SWFA: $299.95
More Info... Buy Now
214M2 Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings                                                                                Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings
  • Matte
  • Medium
SWFA: $32.95
More Info... Buy Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
xLaichzeiTx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLaichzeiTx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 12:52
I know someone who's been using the Bushnell on his K98 for over a year now and hasn't had any problems. So I figured that is I got the $40 mounting kitw/ the PU bolt, it'd be just fine. Thoughts? And you're trying to say the PU scope isn't really worth it?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 12:59
I have the Mosin Nagant you are talking about with the repro PU scope.  I have also use original PUs, etc.

There are a couple of different versions of the repro PU scope, so you need to know which one you are getting.  One has a centered reticle; another has a non-centered reticle, just like the original.  Both have some sort of coating on them, unlike the original.

The BDC turret on the scope goes out to 1300 meters (metric system), if memory serves me right, although I never shot it that far.  I have shot it out to 700yards with reasonable success.  I think the turrets are calibrated for the the old russian D-ball.  There are no ckicks on the turrets, so you have to visually confirm how much you have dialed.  After some messing around with it, I learned that the Yugo 180gr FMJ ammo imported by Privi Partisan work pretty well in this particular 91/30 (I have about a dozen Mosn Nagants of all sorts) and is reasonably close to the BDC settings.  Still, it requires some trial and error.  The reticle is the very thick German three post reticle which is very visible in low light, but takes some getting used.

1000yards is probably a bit optimistic, but it has been done.  Out to 800 yards on man-size targets, I think this is very doable and a lot of fun.  I usually enjoy sitting on the range with one of my old Mosins next to some guy with Hubble telescope bolted onto his latest acqusitoin.  While he is still trying to figure out which crater of the moon he is aiming for, I can hit anything I can see with my 70 to 110 year old rifle.

Ultimately, this is one of my favourite rifles to shoot.  It is a piece of history and is surprisingly accurate.  Keep in mind though that I typically tune the triggers on my Mosins, since they tend to be pretty heavy. 

Oh, Wes, when it is all said and done, NEF will be firmly fogotten, but Mosin-Nagant will still be successfully soldiering on in some remote corner of the world

ILya
xLaichzeiTx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xLaichzeiTx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 13:16
I don't mean to go off topic, but doesn't FMJ ammo smell bad after firing? And how much do they cost you?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 13:27
I am not sure what they cost these days.  I bough a fairly large batch a little while back.

As for the smell, I did not notice anything particularly unusual about Privi's commercial stuff.  Some eastern european ammo tends to smell a bit differently due to some different powders they use, but it seems to work fine.  I do clean my rifles every time I shoot though yugo stuff is not corrosive.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic