OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is it good for the money?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it good for the money?
    Posted: December/27/2008 at 18:59
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12602-1514-new-sightron-3-9x42-sii-riflescope.aspx
tell me what you know about it thanks, and compair it to the 4200
Cbissell07 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 20:31
Does Anyone Know anything about it?
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 20:38
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14190
It seems to be lower on the 'food chain' than the 4200.  I've looked thru a few Sightrons and they seem ok for the money.  I'd save myself $40 and get a Nikon Team Primos. JMO
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 20:41
Im not going to go by that chart because this is what i can afford so i was just wondering who knows what about it
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 20:52
   I'll tell you that (TO ME!) my Sightron SII 1.5-6x42 compares FAVORABLY with my Leupold VXIII 1.75-6x32.

til later
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cbissell07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 22:02
So your saying that you like it? lol theres a lot of pople that hate Leupolds so im not exactly sure what you mean by that
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 03:21

Like it? Oh yea. I got the Sightron at a discount because it was a discontinued model so it was $200+ less than my Leupold. Normally it's not quite $150 less. But cost aside,the Sightron gives,to me,a better edge to edge image. The Leupold seems to have a slight distortion around the edges as you move the scope. Also the Sightron has better eye relief at 6x and is actually close to a constant 4" at all powers. Don't get me wrong. I do like my Leupold. It has the better field of view,I like its reticle better(hvy plex),it's lighter,mounts on a long action with std rings and bases,and has finger adjustable turrets. As far as low light performance goes they are both GOOD but equal to my eye. Of course the Sightron has a 42mm objective while the Leupold's is 32mm. But the Leupold has the better lenses and coatings. The only factor I can't comment on is the durability of the Sightron as the rifle it's going to start out on (a 9.3x62mm)isn't finished. The Leupold's been on my .300,which weighs right at 7.5lbs w/sling and 3rds,and hasn't missed a beat.

I'm definitely NOT a Leupold hater as I've got 4. If a scope,no matter its brand,fits my needs and is dependable I'll give it a try. If it costs less than another brand that offers nothing I feel is worth the extra cost TO ME,all the better.

til later
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 11:56
I have had no durability issues with Sightrons, even after one of them took a pretty nasty drop.  That being said, even if it had problems you would be hard-pressed to find a CS department as friendly as Sightron's.  My brother had a Sightron with dot reticle that he didn't like in dim light.  He called them, sent it back, they apologized and flipped him a brand new one with a plex reticle.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 12:26
Have 3 Sightron SIIs and for the price, they are good scopes.  Haven't compared it to a 4200 or VX-III.  I do like it better than my Nikon ProStaff and Bushnell 3200.  I'd go with the SII again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 12:32
SIghtrons S2 sopes are quite good and exceptionaly good for the money.  Optically Elite 4200 is a little better (Sightron S2 Big Sky is directly comparable to Elite 4200).  Mechanically S2 is very good.  These are well built scopes.

ILya
dougedwards View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougedwards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 16:18
I have had many Sightron S2 scopes and they are very reliable.  When turning the elevation or windage turrets one click at 100 yards it is exactly 1/4 inch of movement.  Glass not quite as good as Bushnell Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch but you can always be sure that when you put the crosshairs on the target it will be spot on.  Also Sightron has the most exceptional lifetime transferable warranty as they do not offer to fix any mechanical problems that you may ever have with the scope.  THEY REPLACE IT with the same model or an upgrade.  Guaranteed
 Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the spirit of Christ dwells within you...Romans 8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic