OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with 7mm choice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiskermae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with 7mm choice
    Posted: December/27/2008 at 13:28
I've enjoyed reading through this forum and maybe y'all can help me with my new rifle decision. I've been away from shooting/hunting for almost 15 years and I'm getting the bug again :). I'm looking for an all-around cartridge and have narrowed my decision down to either 7mm or .30 because of their wide bullet selections but I want to decide on a 7mm first. Keep in mind I have no previous experience with any 7mm but I always wanted one and keeping the recoil down for me is a plus.  

My primary game is going to be southern whitetails where 150 yards is an exceptionally long shot. But I would also like to play around with some smaller game, longer range paper punching, and have the ability to take on a mulie or elk if the opportunity came up. Also I don't particulary care about factory loads, I've always reloaded and don't plan on changing.

7mm-08 - My first choice because of good rifle choices, low recoil, flat shooting, short action etc. but I'm uncertain about it's ability (even with good handloads) to handle a mulie or elk if I had a chance to do that trip.

7mm Rem Mag - 2nd choice because of ability to handle bigger game but over kill I think for short range white tails, any smaller game, and paper. Although I suppose I could down load it for normal use and then heavy load it if the need arises. Anyone know off-hand how light to medium loads work in a Rem 700 sps or Tikka T3 Lite?

7mm WSM - Might be a first choice but there aren't many rifles available and doesn't seem to be catching on well. From what I've read there isn't a ton of reloading info as of yet. Any opinions?

280 Remington - Looks like a good cartridge to me but not a lot of rifles to choose from.  

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 13:38
30s are great 7mm are great the 7 rem most popular.7-08 will take elk as too, the 280.pick one ,and have a good time. welcome!..7-08 at reasonable distance.use judgement?

Edited by rifle looney - December/27/2008 at 13:43
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 13:49
you would be surprised at how many company's actually do chamber the .280, i love mine, and if you turn it into a .280AI you have pretty much made a round comparble to the 7wsm or 7mag without a magnum action.
i had a 7-08 once, and i wish now looking back that i had never gotten rid of it, nice mannered cartridge with great accuracy and pretty good performance too, and  ammo all over the place.

Edited by pyro6999 - December/27/2008 at 13:49
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 14:23
I have have a personal effection for the 280, though the 7-08, 7wsm and 7mag are all great. I feel the 280 and up offers more flexability in the use of of heavier bullets and this is most useful for larger bodied animals such as elk.  The 7-08 will take an elk, but its is a little light for my taste.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 14:35
Well, if I didn't have a 280AI already, my choice of the ones you mentioned would be the 280. 

The 7-08 would be marginal for Elk or for longer shots where absolute penetration and killing power are warranted. 

The 7 mag will do it of course with more recoil and some small detrimental effects of the belted case like worrying about case head separations and having to toss brass if you get thinning at the web.  It can be finicky to reload for.

The 7 WSM is a good case but in a short action it will be hard not to take up case space with the bullet seated deep with the heavier and longer bullets.  Some have had feeding problems.  It is the least used among the wizzums and components may be a problem in the future.

The 280 says to other hunters who know anything that you are a reloader and know what you are doing.  It will shoot the 160 Accubonds at 2900 fps with ease or the 140's at 3000 fps +.  It has a long neck and the caliber is easy to load for.  Not as much recoil but shoots a potent pill.

JMHO
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 14:36
General Information:
Load No
Caliber
Grains/ Grams
Bullet Style
Brand
Use
P708C
7mm-08 Rem.
140 / 9.07
P280E
280 Rem.
140 / 9.07
P7RM
7mm Rem. Magnum
140 / 9.07

Ballistics Comparisons:
  Velocity in Feet per Second (To nearest 10 FPS)
Load No
Caliber
Muzzle
100 Y
200 Y
300 Y
400 Y
500 Y
P708C
7mm-08 Rem.
P280E
280 Rem.
P7RM
7mm Rem. Magnum
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 14:37
the .280 is perfect, its in the middle of the road, good performance, less recoil than the 7mag and still potent for taking pretty much anything you want. like i said i love mine.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 15:34
I'll vote for the .280 too.  The 7mm-08 is great and so are the 7 mags.  The mags might have more recoil than you wish to deal with.  The .280 is a great compromise as Pyro noted.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 16:04
I'll vote for the 7mag. It kills deer at 20 yards and way out there, too..........guaranteed. The recoil isn't much more than an .06
I use a Wilson adjustable case length gauge and ten re-sizes are no problem.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 16:29
You could always get a 30-06, too.  Does everything.  Factory loads are cheap.  You can reload it to 300 H&H performance ( which will outperform the 7 Rem Mag )....plenty of bullets to chose from...........[  if you don't have a 30 caliber now--that's a No-Brainer...after the '06 you could always buy a 300 Win Mag some other day....Coffee)  

(...................7mms ..................Mouth Taped Shut )     Roll on Floor Laughing    
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 20:00
Just bought my son a model 10 savage in .308 to hunt here in Alabama. I roll my own so I can load it for as mild or as wild as he can stand.  Love my .308s. But there are other calibers!!!  I've been shooting .308 for 30+ years so I'm kinda partial.  LOL
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 20:55
  "7MM REMINGTON MAGNUM"

til later
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 21:49
Since you`re including elk on the hunting menu, I`d opt for the 7 Rem Mag.

Reloading this cartridge allows you to load to the lower power levels and then increase your loads when you need that extra punch for the potantial longer range shots on elk.

The type of recoil pad is also very important. Needs to be 1" thick and cushy.

You really cannot go wrong with any 7mm and the 280 mentioned. But  my top pick if I were choosing a 7mm would be the 7 Remy Mag.
fiskermae View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fiskermae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 07:59
Thanks for the help guys...

Squeeze - I'm seriously reconsidering whether or not elk is a realistic hunt for me in the forseeable future or not because that changes everything. If that's on the table I'm thinking 7mag or bigger. If that's off the table the only ones I'm interested in are 7mm-08, 308, now 280

I'm going to do some more digging on 280 rifles, there's a lot to like there. Fortunately I'm in no hurry to buy and have 3 or 4 other guns to sell first anyway so I've got time to kick this around.  

Don't worry Ed and Steel, 308 and '06 are on my list too :) it's just that I have an '06 (albeit a crudely sporterized surplus rifle) and have shot 308 so those are known entities whereas the 7's aren't.

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 09:30
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I'll vote for the 7mag. It kills deer at 20 yards and way out there, too..........guaranteed. The recoil isn't much more than an .06
I use a Wilson adjustable case length gauge and ten re-sizes are no problem.

Thunbs Up

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mbtcl View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbtcl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 10:44
I have owned a .280 for 15 yrs and love it.  I used to shoot Federal Premium Nosler Partition 150 gr with great accuracy and killing power on whitetails.  I have since changed to Hornady Light Mags 139 gr SST Moly and I can't begin to tell you how much I love this round.  I am primarily a bow hunter and seldom use my gun to hunt anymore so I have only killed 2 deer to date with this round, but I can tell you it absolutely leveled them.  I can hold my crosshairs on target out to 300 yds and never be more than 3 inches high or low.  The ballistics are right there with the 7mm Mag
TML
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 11:59
Even though I think the 280 and 7mags are probably better for elk, the 7-08 will do the trick and its perfect for deer, which is what the primary use will be for.  The 308 is also an excellent round for both and might prove more usefull than the 7-08 if elk is on the menu.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 09:22
My thinking goes like this, pick a caliber that is effective for what you ARE going to hunt, not what you MIGHT hunt!  I don't think many will argue with the premise that most shooters can shoot lighter recoiling rounds more effective than heavy recoiling rounds, and since you haven't shot for a few years, ease back in with something on the lighter end.  7mm-08 is great medicine for whitetails, there are plenty of rounds available as well as rifles!  I don't think you'll regret buying a 7mm-08.   Now, since that has been settled Wink what scope are you going to put on this set-up?
take em!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 09:51
I know my .260 is deadly on whitetail and the 7mm on the same case should be as good or better. You get the bonus of short actions and easier carry. That doesn't matter for stand hunting, though.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 11:04
I don't think it matters at ALL, period........it just happens to be a tiny little manufacturing fact of life......no big deal in the real world..........
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic