OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope moving in rings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope moving in rings
    Posted: December/27/2008 at 12:23
After a range session yesterday I noticed the scope is moving in the rings

They are Talley rings and bases and the rings were torqued down to 20#.  I applied additional torque to 30# (about all I will be able to get without stripping out the torx screw heads) and marked the scope to look for additional movement

My question is:  if the scope continues to move, what solutions are there?  I would not want to change the base and rings unless absolutely necessary and would not want to epoxy or apply anything that would be a solution that could not be reversed.

What have you used?
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 12:28
I have experienced the same kind of movement and the re torque cured it, but on an other ordeal I applied lock tight between the scope and rings ,it's still that way ...all is good.
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 14:06
Yea, I remember a fine line between loose and not moving when I mounted a set of Talley fixed ring and bases a few years back with a 3-9x40 Conquest.  Like rifle looney said loctite the puppy, or throw a layer of electric tape around the tube before tightening the rings...

Badger
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 14:21
Thanks

I was thinking red loctite, was wondering if it will take off the finish.

How about something that will stay soft like gasket seal?
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 16:39
I used red bottle locktite which is actually blue, but is is pretty much the same. it is not to hard to remove, it will just kinda flake off when needed.  dont know about the gasket stuff?
which ever you choose good luck, and shoot often!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 16:54
I'd contact Gary at Talley before half assing some Loctite fix between the scope tube and the rings, my friend. 

RED Loctite is more permanent than BLUE Loctite, as a rule too.  
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 18:48
Yes sir that is most likely the best option ? but the other suggestions... not really classified as half a@#.just every day remedies.that work,and I actually got this info out of a most famous gun mag.  no offense intended.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 20:13
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off like it sounded. No offense toward you fellas, I know your just trying to help sako.

I just don't subscribe to "electrical tape" and Loctite on a scope tube as a fix. Especially on a high end scope like sako's Kahles.  
That's more like treating the symptom, but not the disease. YMMV

Edited by cheaptrick - December/27/2008 at 20:14
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 20:24
Super
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 20:42
I wouldn't use tape or any other friction reducing measures. There is still a gap on those rings.
30in/lbs gets distributed over a fairly large surface area. I would tighten it up some.
My Talleys are holding on a .375 H&H with no problems. That .338 of any flavor should not be letting the scope move, either.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2008 at 21:28

Thanks for the help.

Is there a certain sequence to tightening the rings?  With Talleys I usually tighten the base screws snug and then the rings to the torque value and then the base screws to their torque value.  I don't recall any instructions that came with the rings.

I think I'll monitor it for a while and then decide what to do.

Oddly enough the rifle did not lose zero

Edited by sakomato - December/27/2008 at 21:33

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 08:27
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Is there a certain sequence to tightening the rings? 

sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 09:03
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Hey cheaptrick

My Adobe won't read that link, says it can't find some colors and doesn't recognize the font.  Could you give me a synopsis?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 09:07
Tighten the cap screws down evenly and in an "X" formation.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 10:36
Yeah, so that is a generic instruction for most rings which are not vertical splits like the Talley fixed rings.  On another site a poster asked if I followed the specific instructions for the Talley's and I can't remember any.  It stands to reason that you would keep the halves matched like with all rings, other than that I was wondering if I had missed something on the vertical split fixed Talley rings.  There is nothing on their site.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 10:49

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Hey cheaptrick

My Adobe won't read that link, says it can't find some colors and doesn't recognize the font.  Could you give me a synopsis?

Bob, try updating your adobe reader.

Call Gary at Talley like CT mentioned. He's great and backs up his stuff 100%. Thunbs Up 
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 10:50
I forgot, the Talleys are indeed vertical split. My bad.
I'd still call Talley tomorrow and ask him.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2008 at 11:05
Sako, please post the results on you're ring ordeal for us to use in future needs thanks...
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2008 at 11:05

For what it's worth the talley fixed rings scratched the hell out of my conquest, thus the idea of electrical tape, maybe save on ring marks, ( I didn't lap the rings so.. ) and it was the first time mounting a scope in Talleys.  Sorry,  probably not a good idea but no doubt give a call.  Didn't mean to make light of your problem, shouldn't be moving around like you say it is.  I experienced a deal where the scope was loose at a certain amount of revolutions of the screws, then a little more of a turn all was tight and I couldn't tighten anymore even if I wanted to.  Even buggered up the lower screw but asked Talley for another and they promptly sent me a new one on them, excellent customer service there.  Good mounts though, just a little tricky in my opinion. 

Edited by bagderRed - December/29/2008 at 11:17
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2008 at 18:43
Personally, I wouldn't use any of the Loctite products as they will stain the scope tube finish. A trick I use I learned from a smith at Griffin & Howe was to use baseball pitcher's rosin on the inside of the scope rings. Grips the scope tight and doesn't marr the finish. Also, you could try the ring tape that Burris used to make which is much thinner than electical tape and was designed for these types of applications.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic