OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 00:08
Hey Imagunsmith I going to have to disagree with you on this one.  You mentioned that you have used Tasco and Swarovski scopes.  I will assume that you have owned both but I could be wrong.  But if I'm right than that Swarovski scope must have been mounted on a 2,000 or maybe a 3,000 dollar gun because you wouldn't dare have that scope on a 500 or 600 dollar gun?  So I'm assuming that if it was a 2,000 or 3,000 dollar gun than you borrowed it from Gozarian because he has good taste.  Since you have used them all, It is difficult for me to believe that anybody would not be able to tell the difference between a Tasco vs a  Swarovski in the field.  Maybe the average person would not notice much of a difference between the scopes when shooting targets at 100 yard range on a bright sunny day at high noon, or staring down tubes in a well lite store.  But, can you honestly tell me that if you saw the buck of a lifetime standing 300 yards away in a low light situation caused by sunrise, sunset, bad weather, or a dense wooded area that you would prefer your trusty ole Tasco over a Swarovski?  Come on, get real, because if you actually do believe that then you might want to consider outsourceing those bedding jobs and stay away from the epoxy.  But, you did make a bold statement in another post that can see gnats flying around a deer at 300 yards when your scope is selected at 9 power, and also, 9 power is too much at 300 yards when shooting deer.  If what you are saying is true, than you have the eyes of either Superman or Mr. Magoo.              
Bill D
hardcase View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hardcase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 00:16
300 wby ate most of 'em.
Imagunsmith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imagunsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 11:00
BillD1, I suggest you try and read posts fully and try to understand them before you embarass yourself like this. By the way hows your Marlin 336 doing? 
Gotta problem rifle? I can probably help.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 12:47
Originally posted by Imagunsmith Imagunsmith wrote:

Weavers, Nikons, Bushnell and a couple of the jap made Simmons and Tasco's. I import a scope from China right now and it looks pretty promising.

When you say you import a scope right now from China, did you mean that you imported one to hunt and shoot with for your self or did you imported a bunch to sell to others?

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 13:30
Imagunsmith
You build 1/4MOA hunting rifles??  That is amazing. How do you accomplish that?

Knowing now that you build 1/4MOA hunting rifles, I find it odd you balked at the idea of using a torque wrench to mount a scope base.

Edited by Boomholzer
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imagunsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 13:35

Boomholzer, look at the post correction, I wish I could build a 1/4 MOA gun, but then that would be impossible in aany caliber beyond a .24.

Chris, I have imported several from China for testing purposes only, right now.  

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 16:18

I prefer a better quality scope primarily due to performance and dependability.  I have personally experienced and witnessed a number of lower-end scopes that crapped out at the wrong time.  I have yet to see a Chinese made scope that I would mount on my own guns. 

ranburr

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imagunsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 16:28
Yea, Not crazy about the Chinese myself, but I remember when everyone wanted stay away from Jap made products, it's not like that anymore. Technology changes everyday.
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2005 at 15:51
Hey Imagunsmith, liar (correct spelling, not lier) is not what I am.  I merely caught you spreading your B.S. and nailed you on it!  You aren't even enough of a MAN to to admitt it!  You need to get your ducks in a row before you start shooting your mouth off.  I live in Southeast Alaska where equipment can take a beating  from the terrain and weather extremes, so JUNK scopes don't cut it here unless you want to sit in camp for the rest of the week.  Oh yeah, I do have a couple of guns that do shoot 1/4 minute of angle if I do my part on the bench!  I also HEAD SHOOT my deer (at reasonable ranges unless a trophy) when possible because I have the guns and SCOPES that can do it!

pippin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pippin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2005 at 19:56

Whether you agree or disagree with him Imagegunsmith does raise an interesting question.  Clearly at some point in time the law of diminishing returns kicks in.   All things being equal a more expensive car or a more expensive scope will offer better performance  or do things that the cheaper version will not.  Ultimately each of us must decide for themselves how much scope they are willing to pay for.  That decision will presumably be based on a number of considerations. How wealthy we are.  What use we will put the product to.  Our own philosophy, etc.  For examply, if like one of the posters you live in Alaska and hunt frequently the degree of ruggedness you need from a scope may well be different that if you are someone who shoots at a range four times a year.

Personally, if its a hobby or an activity I really enjoy I tend to buy high quality products, try to take care of them and keep them for a long time.  For example, I mountain bike a lot.  Been doing it  for about 15 years and have only owned two bikes.  Have owned my current bike for about ten years and do not plan on replacing it for the foreseeable future.  It  was expensive, but it fits me perfectly, is absolutely reliable and is sheer joy to ride.  I've taken it on a couple of trips out to Utah and Colorado where the trip itself cost me over $1,000.  Think about how pissed I'd have been if my bike started to malfunction the first day.  I don't hunt, but I can imagine some guy whose saved up  all year for a trip.  On the last day, at dusk he spots the buck of his dreams 300 yards out.  I'm willing to bet he's going to be pretty bummed out  if he decided to save a couple of dollars on a bargain scope and is having trouble lining up the shot.

I can only ride one bike at a time, shoot one gun at a time and use one scope at a time.  Frankly, I'd rather have one good quality scope and swap it between two or three rifles than  three cheap scopes.

I bought used. Imagegunsmith, as someone who does custom work to hunting rifles I would think you would appreciate this.  I mean if can buy a stock Remington hunting rifle that's nearly as good as a custom rifle, why would  I customize it? Because for some people who are serious about their  hunting, having a rifle that's customized to their exact preferences is worth the money. 

BillD1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2005 at 22:26
Hello Imagunsmith, sorry I did not post earlier but I had a busy weekend.  First of all, If I offened you with my sense of humor, than I apologize.  But when I read your post the first time, I thought that you couldn't be serious and later I realized that indeed you are serious.  For when you wrote that Tasco, Swift, Simmons, Bushnell, Redfield, Leupold, Baush & Lomb, Weavers (both types), and Swarovski for the purpose of hunting purposes you wouldn't turn a hand over the differences in any of them, my interpretation of that statement was WOW what a bold statement to make on a riflescope forum and correct me if I am wrong but when you wrote "hunting purposes" are you meaning all hunting situations a person may encounter. Also when you say "you wouldn't turn a hand over the difference in any of them" are you implying that performance in the field between these manufactures do not differ much or very little to justify the cost difference?  And, you said that you would not take a rifle into the field that wasn't capable of producing 1 MOA groups.  Not to be rude but, " Why Gunsmith Why!", why would you go through all that intensive labor and create a tack driver from a scatter gun and topped it with subpar optics?  To me that's like a baseball player hitting a grand slam and stopping on third base.  Why would you strive for prefection of the rifle and then mount a scope that probably will not hold zero?  If this is what you believe, then I can't agree with you, but I can respect your opinion. 

P.S.  Don't own a Marlin 336, but I sure wish I did, a quick handling 30-30 would be just the ticket for some nighttime hog hunting down here in South Texas.  The weather is perfect for hunting hags and making sausage.  Hopefully there are no hard feelings between us.                     
Bill D
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2005 at 05:07
Hey guys, I don't mean to come off rude sounding here, just trying to be honest.  I used to shoot "less expensive scopes" and used to fare okay.  I have had some problems though over the years most of which probably came from me.  Overall, I have had good scopes, like a Burris Black Diamond, better able to withstand big recoil, big hits coming down rock slides and overall abuse better than cheap scopes.  I don't intentionally go out there to damage my equipment but when I go out there, I GO OUT THERE!  Sometimes I pack a spare scope (in Warne or Talley rings) so I can do a fast exchange.  Wouldn't you know it however, whenever I do that is when I don't have problems!

I just want you guys to be aware of the pitfalls of hunting.  If you're a varmint shooter or do a lot of hunting from a stand, you're probably okay with the less expensive scope..........until the light starts fading.  The trick here is finding a "diamond in the rough".  I had my hunting buddies look through two scopes once.  One was a Leupold LPS 3-14x50 and the other was a Tasco Titan in a 3-12x52.  I wrapped each scope in paper and set each one on 9 power to keep each scopes identity hidden. We looked through both scopes from dark to dim to bright sun; guess what happened.............the Tasco Titan won out and they (all Leupold men) weren't very happy about how the Titan performed against the BIG BAD LEUPOLD! 

Now then, there probably aren't many of those "diamonds in the rough" out there that can step up like the Titan when compared to the upper class scopes.  I think the Titans, 30 mm tubes anyway, are sledhehammer tough, probably right up there with the Burris Black Diamonds.  That being said, the Titan loses to the Swarovski A line 4-12x50 and the Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50.............but not by a whole lot in the brightness side of things.  The big difference comes into play at dusk.....when the game comes out.  I get about 15 minutes more shooting time from my A line Swarovski than I do my Bushnell 4200's or the Tasco Titan.   I would suspect the same  performance from Zeiss and Schmidt&Bender as the Swarovski. 

I still experiment with less expensive scopes and have found that for the most part, you should spend a little more than you can afford for your optics (drink cheaper beer and pocket the rest for that new scope)!  You know you can do it, it just takes some reservation and a little extra stashing and saving from the little woman!

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imagunsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2005 at 13:24

No BillD1, no offense taken. These forums are as much for butting heads as they are for educational. MOA or sub MOA rigs consist more than just the rifle or the optics atop of it. It consists of the rifle, the mounting system, the use of a logical optic choice, the ammo, (by the way I don't shoot factory fodder, lets see what kind of redicule this brings up) and last and certainly not least the shooters ability.

Now for the ? you ask "Why Gunsmith Why". I strive to get the best accuracy possible, from not only my rigs but from a customer that is unsure of his/her ability as a shooter. This day and time, as you all know is not a popular time for pro gunners, be us hunters, collectors, or plinkers. The generation of born sportsman and hunters is fading fast. Unlike a lot of us were, todays generation of kids,  are not raised in the hunting environment. They are tought for the most part, the evil/fear of guns, gunownership, and the cruelty of hunting. This is being drilled into them through their parents, schools, peers, TV networks, as well todays liberals. Anyway enough of this rambling.

My reason is simple this. I have tons of my sons school buddies come to our house and quickly become curious about guns. They want to learn and understand thier curiousities. I try to encourage them to find out for themselves the truth behind firearms and shooting first hand. And I try to do this by connecting with them on a level the can understand. I start with computers, in this day every kid above the age of 4 knows about computers, computer games, and the such. "That computer will sit right there and do anything you want it to, it will let you type anything you want, visit anyplace you want, see anything you want., but YOU have to make it perform the tasks", you are in complete control.  Same way with guns, they do what they're made to do.

If the kid wants I'll let them shoot. This fuels the fire. Then the same kid runs home after a day of shooting, and what happens next? Mom, Dad I shot a gun today! Now just as the parents think they have regained their composure, the big question blindsides them, "CAN I HAVE ONE"? Kids today can talk their Moms and Dads in anything. (lots of time the parents show up at the house with kid I have impelled this new curiousity in).Except a $400.00 scope that tops a $150.00 gun. And a $400.00 scope is not needed. Remember this shooter is just beginning. His/Her total finances are completely dependant on their parents. The young shooter needs something that will let them enjoy their newfound sport, until they develop their skills, gain the trust and put away the fears of the parents. Then they can start upgrading their equipment.

Their are great number of both new and inexperienced shooters that read this forum, they need to learn the values of good, reliable equipment, but at the same time they don't need to be scared away by thinking they have to spend a war pention everytime they upgrade, don't get me wrong they don't need to buy junk, but something they will be satisfied with, can afford, and get results with. I live in east Tennessee, and for the most part the shot distance are normally under 100 yards. At this distance sure a 5 MOA rig will put a deer down, if the nerves don't take over, if the game is standing perfectly still, if no limbs are in the way, but at 150 yards the bullet has a 71/2 " landing zone. This is where the accurizing comes in, no matter what level of experience the shooter is, if a shooter KNOWS where his bullet will land, this has done nothing but boost his confidence. It will take some of the edge off when making that 400 yard once in a lifetime tropy shot. I, by no means, encourage buying the cheapest optics that are avalible, as inconsistant grouping can ruin a new, or inexperienced shooter. I, on the other hand don't encourage buying the most expensive optics either. I have some pricey scope and I have some what are deemed to be mid-ranged scopes. No matter what the price or brand, if they won't group they won't group. I use what works. Like I said in another post, I've only had one rifle to mechanically wreck or gut  a scope.  

And why do I go through the trouble? Because I take pride in my work. Why would anybody be satified with a 5 moa rig when they can have the same rig shooting less than 5 inch groups at 500 yards.    Hope this explains my POV's, fingers getting tired..........       &nb sp;         &nb sp; 

BillD1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 16:55
Hello Imagunsmith, great reply, and excellent work with the kids.  You bring up many valid and interesting points that we the hunters should and need to be aware of.  I agree with you that information and exposure is very important for not only the youth but also for the adults.  Unfortunatetly, most people who are either oppose or have no interest in hunting, do not understand why a person would be so cruel as to shoot an animal.  They believe this to be unjust to all the animals and people should not exhibit cold-blooded behavior.  They don't see that most hunters view the taking of an animal as only the small part of the hunting experience.  For If we were as bad as they say, all the wildlife on this planet would have been exterminated a long time ago.  It is a shame that the anti-hunting groups can not see all the good that the hunting has done for the wildlife, family relationships, educational purposes, awareness of nature, ect,ect, ect.  Keep up the great work.                  
Bill D
okokdude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote okokdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 22:06
you cant shoot what you cant see!
with cheap scopes you see the woods
with high end optics you can see whats in the woods in great detail.

I was once of the opinion that you are, untill i looked through a schmidt bender - vs - my 4200 , boy is there a differance
Warhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 00:58
Originally posted by gozarian gozarian wrote:

I just want you guys to be aware of the pitfalls of hunting.  If you're a varmint shooter or do a lot of hunting from a stand, you're probably okay with the less expensive scope..........until the light starts fading.  The trick here is finding a "diamond in the rough".  I had my hunting buddies look through two scopes once.  One was a Leupold LPS 3-14x50 and the other was a Tasco Titan in a 3-12x52.  I wrapped each scope in paper and set each one on 9 power to keep each scopes identity hidden. We looked through both scopes from dark to dim to bright sun; guess what happened.............the Tasco Titan won out and they (all Leupold men) weren't very happy about how the Titan performed against the BIG BAD LEUPOLD! 

Now then, there probably aren't many of those "diamonds in the rough" out there that can step up like the Titan when compared to the upper class scopes.  I think the Titans, 30 mm tubes anyway, are sledhehammer tough, probably right up there with the Burris Black Diamonds.  That being said, the Titan loses to the Swarovski A line 4-12x50 and the Burris Black Diamond 6-24x50.............but not by a whole lot in the brightness side of things.  The big difference comes into play at dusk.....when the game comes out.  I get about 15 minutes more shooting time from my A line Swarovski than I do my Bushnell 4200's or the Tasco Titan.   I would suspect the same  performance from Zeiss and Schmidt&Bender as the Swarovski. 

I've finally found another fan of the Tasco Euro/Titan scopes. I have four of them now, I bought two of the 3-12x52mm Euros from competitor, or CTD somebody like that, when they were on clearance for about $50 apeice. I should have bought a dozen!  I let one get away on a rifle I sold, but still have the other. It's stodd up to many rounds on a Rem Sendero in 7 STW.

I've also picked up a 3-9x44mm Euro, that I am debating about where to mount it.

I have two more, Titans, which I believe are nearly the same scope. The only difference I can see are the markings and the click adjustments on the Titan, the Euro was friction only. I have  1.75-6x Titan on a .375 H&H that I haven't fired yet, and a 1.5-4.5x Titan that I may put on a Marlin .45-70.

Time will tell, but I believe these scopes are a real sleeper.
bobo27 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobo27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 08:42

I have never owned an expensive scope . been hunting for 19 years. I purchased a used gun that had a bad scope. Simmons Aetec and it was replaced with a Weaver Classic hope it holds up (7STW)

I believe in redfield scopes. I have an old redfield it is a great scope, doesn't have clicks for adjustments and can adjust less the 1/4 MOA (strange). Anyhow I have a new redfield (from Academy) I put in on a .243 Remington Woodmaster 742. But the groups are horrible (won't group). I don't know if it's the gun or scope one day I will find out (I think the barrel went south)

I don't believe in buying $1500.00 scopes and don't believe in keeping up with the Jones'. I will pay for what I can afford. Nikon's, Refields, and maybe a Leupold (never owned a leupold).

Good day.

Warhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 09:53
One thing that I know for sure, my eyes aren't what they used to be. Maybe that's why I don't see the advantage in these high dollar scopes. Brightness ... absolutely, but I know I can't see things that my 18 year old son sees. For me the important factors in a scope are:

- Durability
- Maintains Zero
- eye relief
- brightness
- clarity
- repeatable adjustments

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 10:35
has anyone noted the post dates on this thread?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2005 at 22:34

Dale, I noted the post dates and found them interesting.  Somebody was digging...

With that said, I spend alot of time around optics.  I get to look at the world through lens. This months rent was earned behind the lens of a camera.  What may be good glass to you sucks for me. I have a differant set of expectations.  Most of the mid grade scopes do not have the glass or coatings in them that I could produce a sellable image from even if they are rugged. In fairness their price reflects that.  I spend on scopes around what I would spend for a pro grade camera lens. 

In fairness to the orginal question,  I have to pay more for some lenses than I do camera bodies, so why should I not pay more for scopes than for rifles?  Often the rifle will rise in value and help offset the cost of the intial investment. 

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic